Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on new pistol purchase.

I own and carry a lot of stuff in this category. I would ask what it's for, and what else you have.

If it's for carry, are you going to dedicate yourself to the 1911 platform? If so what other 1911 pattern guns do you have?

If it's just for fun steel 9 commanders are baller.

If it's for carry and you have a full size get the CCO pattern with an aluminum frame. Perfect summer t shirt gun.

if it's for carry and it will be your one and only get a 9 lightweight commander and then sell all your other guns and buy a spare. You won't like any other guns after that.
    Last edited by JAD; 02-19-2017 at 10:29 PM.

I wear a "Large" glove size, Pinky fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    . . . I'm considering either the compact (officer) grip or professional (commander) with a 4.25 slide in 9mm for carry . . .
    I have 1911s with both the standard- and CCO-size grip length. If your concern is concealment, the grip length can make a bit of a difference. However, that difference can also manifest itself in one's ability to take a consistent grip from the holster, and probably more importantly, to make consistently clean reloads (big hands can cover the mag well on the CCO frame). Before ordering that new Wilson, I'd visit a local shop and make some hands-on comparisons of the grip lengths. The shop might not have the Wilsons, but should have a variety of 1911s.

If you haven't, I'd also give some consideration to choosing between a steel and an alloy frame. The recoil of the 9mm is pretty insignificant (certainly compared to a .45), and an alloy-framed 1911 is, in my opinion, a nicer carry option because of the weight savings. If you're concerned about wear on the aluminum feed ramp, get a steel insert installed (not sure if Wilson offers those, but most any good gunsmith can).

All that said, I'm a big fan of the CCO size for its ease of concealment. That thin profile is significantly . . . well, thinner.

Oh, magazines. Wilson makes some really good ones.

Edited to second the round butt option. That helps considerably with concealment.
    Last edited by flyrodr; 02-19-2017 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I own and carry a lot of stuff in this category. I would ask what it's for, and what else you have.

If it's for carry, are you going to dedicate yourself to the 1911 platform? If so what other 1911 pattern guns do you have?

If it's just for fun steel 9 commanders are baller.

If it's for carry and you have a full size get the CCO pattern with an aluminum frame. Perfect summer t shirt gun.

if it's for carry and it will be your one and only get a 9 lightweight commander and then sell all your other guns and buy a spare. You won't like any other guns after that.
    As far as 1911's go I've got full size Wilson in 45 and a Dan Wesson 45 cco. I'm purchasing it to be my primary carry gun and I really like the commander size gun I just have some difficulty concealing as well as I would like and that's where the conundrum starts.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Nice. Get the 9 LWC, perfect fit between the two you have. It will be your almost all the time gun, I bet money. With the right holster and a little attention to dress AIWB or 3:00 carry is no problem on my 32", 165 pound, 5'10" frame. My CCO is nice to have for thin t shirts and NPEs but I can almost always make the Commander work.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Thanks for all the great input I'm going commander size you all rock!
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

ULCC 9MM all day everyday in a Milt Sparks Criterion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just another data point, I don't know if you've seen the Bill Wilson carry gun video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scz1uWl21bM

My vote goes to a WC CQB Commander. I may be a bit partial though! Thread needs pics.
    Name:  IMG_1346.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  100.7 KB

Vending Machine Operator
    I don't have enough money to be reading this thread.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List