Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some advice on new pistol purchase.

Need some advice on new pistol purchase.

So I'm ordering a new wilson 1911 and I'm considering either the compact (officer) grip or professional (commander) with a 4.25 slide in 9mm for carry. Any recommendations and the why would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    So I'm ordering a new wilson 1911 and I'm considering either the compact (officer) grip or professional (commander) with a 4.25 slide in 9mm for carry. Any recommendations and the why would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rick
    I'd imagine a Wilson would run with Wilson mags, so this probably wouldn't apply, but...

Seems to be better selection and availability of the full size guns. Have any other 1911's? What buy a gun that takes mags your other guns won't?

I had a colt defender that would only run with whatever colt mags it came with. Haven't had that issue with commander size guns, maybe a 4.25 slide on the officer frame would work better, don't know. If you are that concerned with concealment, get some kind of bobtail.

I recommend a full size grip with a commander slide. The Wilson round butt magwell is a nice touch for a carry gun. A CQB Commander 9mm is my next Wilson 1911.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    I recommend a full size grip with a commander slide. The Wilson round butt magwell is a nice touch for a carry gun. A CQB Commander 9mm is my next Wilson 1911.
    That is the exact gun I'm ordering just trying to decide which grip length I want to enjoy at the range but also use it as my main conceal carry piece. Hoping to get some more pros and cons of each.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

I recently had to strap on my 1911 and I was immediately reminded that a full sized (i.e. Commander) grip is a pretty long grip. Like, longer than all of my full sized 9 mm guns. That was a 45 ACP though but I think that there is no difference between 9 and 45 1911s in this regard? I'd look at that first and see if a full sized would be too long to conceal day in and day out. If not, that's what I'd do cause it should be more reliable. I've owned a full custom Compact and had to replace a recoil spring every 800 rounds; again, that was a 45 ACP.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.

I agree with the above comment about magazine availability. There are lots and lots of quality full size/Commander size mags in .45 Auto. There are fewer quality Officer sized mags in .45 Auto. There are still fewer quality full size/Commander size 9mm mags, and the fewest options in quality 1911 mags is in the Officer size 9mm mags.

Admittedly, you only need to find one brand that works, and Wilson probably does, but your options will be limited, though that may not be bad. On the good side, there are more and more 9mm 1911's being produced every year, and Wilson is leading the way, so you can probably expect more effort put into producing quality 9mm 1911 mags from just about all the makers.

Site Supporter
    My carry gun is a Colt Lwt Commander 9mm and I don't have any problems concealing it. A lot of it depends on your method of carry.

Just for me personally, I would stay with a full-size grip and use Wilson Combat ETM magazines.

I had a Dan Wesson CCO (Officer frame with 4.25" slide) built in 9mm. I had them use a Wilson Combat roundbutt magwell on it, as well.

I'm partial to Commander-sized 1911's, but I really like the CCO, too. Wilson makes officer-sized 9mm ETM magazines, and they are excellent.

I carry a Wilson Combat Lightweight Light Rail CQB Compact as my everyday carry. I also have an all steel Bill Wilson Carry Compact w/o a mag well. Additionally I have several Wilson Combat 5" with the full size grip in all steel so I am familiar with the full size grip. My reasons for the compact frame with a round butt mag well:
    With a round butt mag well it fits my hand well but is still slightly shorter than the "standard" size grip.
    The main spring housing is more rounded which I find reduces straight line "tells" on my outer garment. The Bill Wilson compact without the mag well does "show" easier when concealed.
    The mag well facilitates reloading.
    I can use the compact or standard magazines as well as a 10 round if so inclined.
    I carry it loaded with a lo profile 7 round magazine and carry at least one 8 round reload mag.

I know many like to carry more rounds and lighter weapons. This has been working for me for many years. Oh the reason it has a light rail is I bought it used at a nice price. I do not carry a light on it for everyday.

Just what I like for off duty.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for all the input guys! For all that use the compact can you get a full grip without your pinky hanging off? I have a Dan Wesson cco in 45 and my pinky doesn't hang off just wondering if the Wilson is the same length?
    Rick

User Tag List