Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you paint/mark recoil springs?

How do you paint/mark recoil springs?

OK, weird question, I know. SIG, in particular, uses paint on the end of their recoil springs to indicate the spring's weight. I would like to do the same and for the same reason on a collection of Wolff springs.

So, how do you paint a spring so that it doesn't flake or peel, etc?

Good idea, tagging in.
    #RESIST

If you mean for storing them a colored zip tye that matches the dog colors would work. On the gun I have no idea.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If you mean for storing them a colored zip tye that matches the dog colors would work. On the gun I have no idea.
    Tag and document. I have a little notebook for each of my guns. Just note in the log each time you change the spring and what spring you used.

Site Supporter
    My best estimation is Sig powdercoats the ends - too much effort in my opinion.

I've taken to using the large loose-leaf rings with a piece of tape making a 'flag' on them for storage. The flag keeps the springs from falling off one side and being a pain to pick up, and also marks the poundage. You could mark pistol type on the other side of the flag.

Name:  3_loose_leaf_ring_500.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  16.8 KB

Put the flag on one 'leg near the clasp, and you're good to go with most springs - feed through the middle, into a couple of coils, and they won't fall off easily (you'll have to unwind them).

I keep a small bunch of notes about what spring is where but it would be nice to be able to look at the spring in the gun and tell which it was while testing for function. Also, it wouldn't be the first time I laid a spring down and forgot which was which. Powder coating does seem a bit bothersome, if that is the case...

I assume they paint the end cause it doesn't flex there. why not just hit the end with some automotive spray paint and see if it holds

I may try a touch of fingernail polish on the end of a spring and see if it holds up.

I know Smith paints or colors some springs for ID, the blue revolver extractor springs are California approved so the spring stacks up and the rod doesn't come out as far so its harder to get the rims of shells under the extractor star. First time I had one like that puzzled me. Taking it apart showed the color. I ordered a normal spring.

Site Supporter
    When I've had springs dyed/colored in bulk for work, the manufacturer would just use Dykem.
    http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/120...staining-color

Now that's what I call a proper answer. THANKS.

User Tag List