Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rusty old Beretta 92FS "Ghost" INOX for $400. I cleaned her up with pics!

It needs gray grips to be a Ghost.

Purty pistol any way though!

Very nice clean-up, and a great project. If you plan on shooting it, though, I'd recommend replacing the Inox extractor with a blued steel one, as the stainless Inox extractors have a bit of a troublesome history in terms of durability. I'd keep the Inox piece to preserve th gun's value if you decide to sell or trade in the future. The only downside to replacing the extractor is that you'll need to restake the retaining pin, and the restaking is done on top of the slide, so do it carefully as to not mar the slide top any more than needed.

It may also have the older OEM trigger return spring, which are notorious for lasting for only about 2,000 triggerpulls before breaking. Get a modern one, or the Wolff TCU is my suggestion for it.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    Agree with M2 that gray grips make a Ghost...at first I thought you'd found a Cajun which is what I've been lusting after for years now. For no good reason.

Anyway, nice piece. The closest I've ever come to owning an Inox gun is the M9A1 Compact Inox lower that's on my carry 92D Compact. And the Cajun stainless barrels in various Vertecs and G-SD's. At $400 I'd have come home with an Inox, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Very nice clean-up, and a great project. If you plan on shooting it, though, I'd recommend replacing the Inox extractor with a blued steel one, as the stainless Inox extractors have a bit of a troublesome history in terms of durability. I'd keep the Inox piece to preserve th gun's value if you decide to sell or trade in the future. The only downside to replacing the extractor is that you'll need to restake the retaining pin, and the restaking is done on top of the slide, so do it carefully as to not mar the slide top any more than needed.

It may also have the older OEM trigger return spring, which are notorious for lasting for only about 2,000 triggerpulls before breaking. Get a modern one, or the Wolff TCU is my suggestion for it.

Best, Jon
    Great points. So far the extractor has great tension and consistent ejection pattern. I will order a backup blued version however. I have some extra TRS laying around i might swap. What is the general consensus on the Wilson TCU around here? Is it extremely different than the stock TRS when it comes to pull and overall trigger pull?

Site Supporter
    That is a great deal on the Beretta! Threads like this make me want to start shopping around for a used Beretta.

I actually prefer the feel of the stock TRS to the Wilson TCU. Although I do prefer the reduced power TCU to the standard power one; it felt like the standard power TCU added a little weight to the trigger pull. The stock TRS are cheap and aren't that difficult to swap. I've got one that has 6K+ live and dry fires on it with no issues. I'll change it when it breaks (main training Beretta). Change every 5K along with recoil spring.
    Last edited by MSparks909; 02-21-2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Shoot more, post less...

I've been running a Wolff reduced power TCU for years, after my OEM (1996 vintage production) trigger return spring broke-fortunately during dry-fire. In conjunction with the replacement, I had a very amicable and detailed discussion with Dave at Wolff concerning my use (carry and IDPA), and he recommended the reduced power unit. I've been exceptionally pleased with it over the years, and have used it for carry and IDPA, including multiple sanction State matches. During my Beretta "season," I dry-fire, carry, and compete with the gun extensively, so the trigger gets quite an accumulated work-out.

I run a 92D, which has a long, very revolver-like reset. I've been fine with the reduced-power TCU on that reset, but others prefer the standard-power unit for it's increased reset speed. I've probably just gotten accustomed to mine; I have no intention of replacing it.

Beretta significantly re-designed and materially strengthened the OEM trigger spring years ago, and I believe that Wilson's is made of silicon chrome, which they back for lifetime use as I recall. I still think that the coil-sprung TCU is an inherently more durable set-up than the OEM and Wilson lever-type springs, but I personally haven't heard of either of them failing recently. I believe that the projected/recommended OEM replacement interval is every 5K triggerpulls, which actually doesn't take a lot of time to achieve with an aggressive dry-fire program.

I assume that the Wilson TCU and the Wolff TCU are exactly the same component, with Wilson simply re-branding the Wolff for their sales.

Interestingly, the triggerbar spring itself isn't particularly fragile-while I routinely replace mine, I literally don't think I've ever heard of one breaking.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-21-2017 at 12:48 PM.

User Tag List