Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is your red line for reloading speed?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    You are loading and shooting way more than I do, so I am reluctant to endeavor to "advise" you, but my experience is that the 550 is really sensitive to the tweaking of that kinda lame stop SHCS on the primer feed. When I got the second 550 it came out of the box working vastly better than the one I had for decades. I just figured that wuz the way they worked, but just slight turns on the stop made significant difference. Also, not sure you do, but after years of use I happened to actually read the manual and someplace it says they recommend NOT to use the thing sitting. I use the 650 and 900 standing, but still use my 550 sitting, but just another consideration.
    I had far less experience when I was loading on the 550, and always happy to learn. SHCS?
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

When I upgraded from a turret to a 550b it was mainly about the time savings.

I wasn't able to reload any cheaper just a much better investment of my time.

Let's say I can save $80 per k (which I easily do).

With the turret press it would've taken me 10 hrs to reload 1k. So $80/10hrs is $8/hr. It wasn't worth it.

Now it's more like 4 hours to reload 1k and that's because it never seems to go smoothly. I'm still working out the wrinkle with the press. But $80/4hrs = $20 and hr. That's a much better investment of my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I had far less experience when I was loading on the 550, and always happy to learn. SHCS?
    The 550 primer arm with the ram on it moves every cycle, when it returns to the home position the travel is stopped by the "Socket Head Cap Screw", which is a adequate but rather course adjustment. Looking down from the top, just a slight turn (you can probably do it without loosening the jam nut) can help center the ram more directly under the center of the case. For that matter, there is also some adjustment in the positioning of the platform on the ram. Anyway, I consider priming to be the least optimal aspect of the 550, I just tolerated it for years, then I got a second new 500 and it was a lot better, and then got a 650 and it was even better. The priming ram on the 650 is attached to the platform, and the registration between it and the detent ball are obviously CNC machined in the same setup to within the tight tolerance modern equipment is capable of. Just seemed like little tweaks made the priming a bunch better on the 550, but when I only had one Dillon I just figured the way it was was the way it was.

Just went out and found this:
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  23.5 KB
    and 14037 is the SHCS I wuz talking about.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-19-2017 at 05:49 PM.

The primer system on my 550b has given me fits since I got it. I can't go more than 25 rounds without it messing up.

Either it won't seat the primer all the way or the primer bar doesn't go far enough forward. It seems like every time I get a good pace going it messes up.

"Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    The primer system on my 550b has given me fits since I got it. I can't go more than 25 rounds without it messing up.

Either it won't seat the primer all the way or the primer bar doesn't go far enough forward. It seems like every time I get a good pace going it messes up.

I would say it it dirty. Get some cheap ass automotive brake cleaner and spray it. Do not lubricate it, run it dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I do not shoot enough to really even be reloading but do load on a 550. If wanting to build up my reserves I just sit down right after work and spend a few minutes loading one primer tube. Done M-F I will have 500 rounds ready for a weekend shoot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I'm almost at the point that I'm done reloading 9mm. I figure I'm saving around ~$75 per 1000 rounds, give or take. With my 550, that takes me around 3 hours if things go well, and up to 4 if things go to crap. That's usually not done all at once.

I'm also teaching BJJ now on top of a full time job and have a 3 month old son. BJJ privates pay more than reloading saves me and I'd rather spend time with my son at home, so reloading doesn't make a ton of sense to me now. I might feel differently with a faster press, but I also am not burning through the rounds fast enough right now to spend more money on reloading.

That's definitely a good reason to probably just buy a ton of factory 9mm burrets.

I personally don't use the same formula, mostly because if I pick up extra work, it comes in a 12 hour shift...eating a whole day, including time that could be spent reloading, shooting, and spending time with the chirruns (nephews are over this week...love those guys)

That's pretty much why I ditched the turret press. I wanted a reloading setup that I can use to crank out about 400 rounds in an hour. Then I can reload a few boxes of ammo, go shoot some of it, come home, make conditioning for BJJ (or maybe even some rolling) come home, play with the kiddos, cook dinner, and go to bed supremely happy. As opposed to picking up a 12 (most likely 14) hour shift, coming home covered in god knows what, having had a single 30 minute break and being on my feet the whole day, not having time to get to the academy, hoping I have some leftovers in the fridge, and flopping into bed exhausted.

I don't pick up many shifts. Work life balance is important. Watching people die all week has made the weekend with my nephews all the more important to me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I have a 650 and hate it. Came extremely close to buying a 1050 a couple weeks ago. I've only done one timed run and I was goin balls to the wall at 100 rounds in 4 minutes 32 seconds.
    O,O. I'm running a turret. 100 rounds takes enough longer than that, I've given up on reloading for until I finish this MAster's program. Can't afford the time - will just shoot and buy cases at best price sales.
    Last edited by Duelist; 02-20-2017 at 12:54 AM.

After spending 15 years using a Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm and a little while using a Redding T7 for .223 my upgrade will be a 1050.

More stations, a swager, higher RPM, the ability to use those extra stations for a neck mandrel, bullet feeder, crimp die and whatever else I can think of.

After herky/jerking my way through another match worth of 9mm on the Pro 1000 or loading 1500 rounds at once on the T7 and doing all the brass prep by hand I want all the automation and "all in one" ability I can have.

I love creating precision ammo but don't need to trim each case on a hand trimmer then swage each case with a super swage while yanking the handle 3 or 4 times for each case before a round is loaded to feel that love. I load to shoot more so am upgrading as soon as I can swing it for all the speed I can buy.

My cycle rate loading 9mm on a 1050 is 2 seconds/round, but transferring from the RF100, lubing brass, loading Mr. BF and loading the CF eats into that 1800/hr rate. I'm very happy with anything over 1000. I load at least 6000/month for my wife and myself. I don't count time to tumble since I tend to do those steps going to/from the barn. The curse of being semi-retired is that you have too much time to shoot.

User Tag List