Thread: Glock training guns/aid restrictions.

Glock training guns/aid restrictions.

I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4, with medium beavertail back strap. There are a number of things that I think are a good idea for training with whatever gun you happen to carry. Training guns and training aids strike me as a good idea. Things that are actually made in the same sizes, texture, and close to an actual Glock:

-Glock 17T FX. Blue frame. Paint marker gun. Leo/Mil Only.
    -Glock 17P or 22P. Red frame. Fully functioning, non firing trainer gun. Leo/Mil Only.
    -Glock 17R. Red Frame. Fully functioning, non firing trainer gun with self resetting trigger. Leo-Mil Only.
    -Ring's Blue Gun. Blue pistol. Totally inert, replica size and weight plastic gun. Leo/Mil Only.

Notice anything? Every single trainer version that is true to the actual firearm is Leo/mil only. Most of those guns are cost prohibited anyway. But even a completely inert Ring's blue gun (for which not every model is offered) has a restriction on sales placed by Glock. Why on earth would they choose to do this? There are some after market options available:

Blackhawk! trainer gun (No Gen 4, not weighted)
    SIRT pistol (Different frame, different texture)
    Various barrels.

Those of us who choose the Gen 4 with back strap ability these aren't very close to our actual firearms. There are almost no options for the average person who wants to train with a nonfiring version that is similar to their Glock. Can a Blue gun have a back strap popped onto it (without the pin obviously)? It seems like it should if it's the same dimensions.

What alternatives have you guys found to be close to your Glock?
    Any idea why Glock does this?
    Are there work arounds besides the used market?

I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts about this.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 02-18-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Blue guns aren't LEO only. If you need something a SIRT seems like it could be cool.

Plenty of people have made huge gains and have maintained skills at a high level dry firing a real gun. If it's a safety thing you can buy plastic yellow barrels.

You can also put a zip tye in the glock too I think to keep the trigger springing back?
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Blue guns aren't LEO only. If you need something a SIRT seems like it could be cool.

Plenty of people have made huge gains and have maintained skills at a high level dry firing a real gun. If it's a safety thing you can buy plastic yellow barrels.

You can also put a zip tye in the glock too I think to keep the trigger springing back?
    Glock gen4 Blue guns have restrictions on many websites. Opticsplanet and Rings. And Blueguns.com as well. I kid you not.

-Cory

I'm lucky to have all of those except the Rings. They make my dry fire life convenient and safe.

If I did not have them, I would use a real gun and not think twice about it. In my case, I would use a second identical gun, not my carry gun, because I hate unloading and loading it for dry fire.

When I did the first major part of my learning to shoot a gun (in school), I only had one G19. So I constantly unloaded it and loaded it. I simply used a fresh cartridge for the chambered round each time, and rotated the once chambered into the bottom of the magazine. Then when I hit the range each weekend, I fired off the previously cycled rounds.

No big deal.

I use a paster or piece of cardboard in the ejection port to give me multiple trigger pulls. Double, triple, quadruple safety checks before I begin.

If you want a more realistic trigger pull you could check out this http://dryfiremag.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

The UTM conversion kit and target marking ammo is restricted to LE/Mil.

UTM is a better option than F/X anyway.

I sell the conversion kits to Non-MIL/LE all the time. The only thing that is restricted is some of the ammo

You can however go to a vetted professional training organization to use the force-on force ammo with the same conversion kit.

PM me if you would like more info.

I also sell blue guns to Non-Mil/LE and the SIRT is also a great option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As I understand it, Glock strictly controls replicas of its pistol as a copyright issue. IIRC, they license the right to make replicas which look like Glocks. If you look at the airsoft pistols in KWA professional series there is no Glock but there is a ATP-LE. Oddly enough, the ATP-LE doesn't look like a Glock but it fits in the vast majority of Glock holsters.

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Tagging this to make sure I don't miss out on any Rings, 17p or 17r group buys. ��

So,I guess you can only get everything but Glock as citizens. This is a stupid policy by Glock and looks like Rings went along with it.

I'd save a little extra money and go with the SIRT. Can do more anyway.

I'll offer up a group by on SIRTS if anyone is interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

User Tag List