Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drop ceiling or drywall for inexperienced guy wanting to put a ceiling in basement?

Drop ceiling or drywall for inexperienced guy wanting to put a ceiling in basement?

Title says it all. I have a little bit of self taught experience with drywall, but am not sure how to deal with the pipes and beams below the rafters as seen in the pictures. I have never messed around with drop ceilings, but I'm not too stupid and am fairly handy. The goal is a functional, not hideous ceiling; my wife and I are not perfectionists. Also fine to do this in small chunks.

#RESIST

Also, we would like to remove this wall if possible. I do not believe that it is a load bearing wall, correct? It is not very far away from the previously posted vertical support in the post above this one.

#RESIST

*redacted*
    Last edited by blues; 02-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    LL,

I am in the same boat as you and I have listened to the pro's and con's of both.

Drywall:

Pro's

1. Cost
    2. Matches the ceiling in the rest of the house
    3. Easier than drop ceiling

Con's

1. Have to cut drywall to access pipes, ductwork, etc

Drop ceiling:

Pro's:

1. Easy access to pipes, ductwork, etc
    2. Easy to replace ceiling tiles

Con's

1. Harder to install
    2. Cost
    3. Does not match rest of house

I am leaning toward a drop ceiling but may go drywall with access points. I have not decided.

With either one you will have to decide to frame in your ductwork or lower your ceiling. Good luck!

I would go drop ceiling for no other reason than access they can be a bit of a pain to get all leveled out but once that's done it comes together quick. If you go the drop ceiling route I highly recommend a line laser for setting the night. It's hard to say for sure without seeing how the house is laid out but the fact that it is running parallel with the joists and the support beam is there I would think it's ok to take out.

I'm not a structural guy but if the wall is running parallel with your floor joists it's not load bearing. If it's running perpendicular then it may be.

Drop ceiling if you want access and don't mind the unfinished look. Drywall if you want a cleaner look and paint. Build a box around the pipes etc and then drywall over it.

If you go with drywall you will need to do bulk heads around pipes/ducts. If you do drop ceiling, keep in mind total height. I wanted a drop ceiling for ease of access, but because of the duct/pipes I did not have enough height, so I ended up with drywall with bulkhead, and added some access panels. If you do drywall/bulkheads keep in mind lighting. Bulk heads can block a lot of the light, and cast shadows. I prefer recessed lighting with a dimmer.

Site Supporter
    LL,

BTW I dig the French doors. That's a good look!

LL,

For your application, I recommend a drop ceiling.

For drywall you will have to cut a lot because of your pipes. Lots of cutting. If you do go drywall. Rent a floor jack, or drywall jack. It will save you time in the long run. You can do it by yourself.

A drop ceiling will look cleaner. It will also help acoustically, a little better than drywall.

http://s66.photobucket.com/user/baxs...wpqis.jpg.html

You are correct this is not a load bearing wall. The single 2x4 in between the floor joists, is how you can tell. That 2x4 was put in to tie in the top of the wall so it dont wobble.

User Tag List