Thread: Carbon NanoTube Technology Body Armor

Carbon NanoTube Technology Body Armor

https://ctznarmor.com/

Any hard data on this product line/company??... How does this stack up etc https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....471-Soft-Armor

I want to believe the claims but I am skeptical. I wrote a nasty letter to the NIJ (National Institute of Justice) when they came out with the .06 standards as it appeared they were written by legislators and administrators that never have or only long ago worn any body armor and they went in the wrong direction for how to test body armor. This Nanotube technology seems to be good in theory but from several stories I have read or watched on carbon Nanotube technology it isn't easy to produce in quantity or larger size sheets/blocks. The claim of it being X times stronger than steel is correct but that is by weight so it must be taken in consideration when comparing them. The 20 year lifespan is a significant factor in value overall but since carbo nanotube tech is a more recent technology for most manufacturing and no other armor companies have tried it I worry that it may be over sold based on lab simulated wear and durability testing vs actual use by end users. I wouldn't want it to be the next Zylon with sweat,UV light,bending,heat and water exposure as body armor encounters can be.

That said I hope the claims are true and validated by a neutral outside party that can be trusted. If so I salute the company for bringing a new material and technology to the market and hope they thrive and profit from it.

Getting LEOs to wear body armor is key. Looking at statistics of officer killed it is clear to see that body armor plays a key role in increasing safety WHEN it is worn. There are so very few incidents of an officer being shot while wearing body armor where there was penetration when the projectile they were shot with was what the armor was rated for. Those cases as far as I can find info for are Zylon related or extreme edge hits. However there are plenty(at least 100) of cases where an officer was shot in area that would be protected by body armor yet died or was seriously injured because they weren't wearing body armor. I wore mine everyday I wore the uniform. It was hot sweaty and sticky while bending poorly and often uncomfortable and it only got worse with .06 standards. Trying to find armor that works with common threats while being more comfortable,lightweight and less hot/sweaty would help all officers who already wear it and hopefully get more to wear who don't right now. Sorry for the related rant but this is a pushbutton issue for me.

Seems legit

Company pops up right before tax return season.
    Plenty of fancy big words and emotional appeals in advertising.
    Offers no scientific data or even videos on the products being tested.
    Last edited by txdpd; 02-18-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

There are a few companies that have released similar things. Very thin and bendable armor. Issue is it really hurts...
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Here is what I watched awhile back. Not the be all end all in data or testing but it is at least something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG8Dk5FnNxE

Ummm....did anyone pay attention to the video? Perhaps I am missing something, but from the video, it appears that both compressed PE and woven p-aramid may be included in the armor:Name:  CTZN Armor.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  79.4 KB
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Ummm....did anyone pay attention to the video? Perhaps I am missing something, but from the video, it appears that both compressed PE and woven p-aramid may be included in the armor:
    Just watched the video, so no "NanoTube technology"?

I did find this link somewhat interesting http://bulletproofnanotechnology.wee...oof-vests.html

User Tag List