Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Glock

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    SLG, Surf, or anyone else who can chime in:

The concept of reset during recoil makes sense. But can you simplify the "how"? After the first shot, are you letting the tendons in your index finger relax during the recoil process, thereby permitting the trigger to reset?
    This is how I do it.

Beat Trash et al. I was just at the range and tried both shooting to reset and shooting to anticipated reset point during recoil as described here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgFFdH7Vs9Y

I measured my groups and both were very close to each other as happened in the video. My groups were 12" overall for 10 rounds at 15 yards rapid-ish fire with 7-8 in 5.5-6" with the rest flyers. This was with 40 cal in a Glock 23. When I switched to 9mm in a conversion barrel in the same gun the groups were similar but the group moved upward and more centered. I hope that helps some. I plan to work this more at medium to farther ranges (12 yards to 20 yards)

Thanks all, once I get over this Flu Bug that seems to be hanging around, I'm going to the range and work on the concept of resetting during recoil. See what happens.

I unconsciously moved from having been taught to only release the trigger to the point of reset, to resetting a bit further out while the sights were moving, just by virtue of trying to shoot faster. You might try shooting some drills where you are going to be fast on the trigger and just see what happens. You might be able to get a good visual on it by taking video aimed at your trigger finger.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    SLG, Surf, or anyone else who can chime in:

The concept of reset during recoil makes sense. But can you simplify the "how"? After the first shot, are you letting the tendons in your index finger relax during the recoil process, thereby permitting the trigger to reset?
    We were on the range today and did a quick video to help explain this.

Site Supporter
    Excellent! That what I was trying to explain earlier in the thread. Exactly what I was taught to do. Great video and narration, Surf.

Awesome video Surf. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surf, Excellent video explaining the topic. Thanks for putting that out there.

The problem I have with the Glock, is the trigger is too slow. I break the shot and let up my finger but the trigger does not follow the finger because it will not reset until the slide is back in battery. It's distracting when my finger loses contact with the trigger bow because I wonder what went wrong
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The problem I have with the Glock, is the trigger is too slow. I break the shot and let up my finger but the trigger does not follow the finger because it will not reset until the slide is back in battery. It's distracting when my finger loses contact with the trigger bow because I wonder what went wrong
    If you can beat the slide forward with your trigger finger, you probably have THE fastest reaction and trigger finger in the world or we are not communicating correctly. I have never seen anyone with the ability to pull and release the trigger before the slide completes its cycle. The slide is back in battery before the muzzle even returns to level. Never mind trying to read your sights or maintaining accuracy if you can reset the trigger faster than the slide cycles. Hell I can't even see that fast much less get brain to get my finger flexors and extensors to work a trigger that fast.

Jerry Miculek has high speed video of him running a trigger at full speed and even the great Miculek cannot beat the slide forward with his trigger finger and he holds some crazy world speed records.

Now I am not Jerry Miculek but I have been told I have a fast trigger finger. Here is a video where I run a trigger pretty much at full tilt for myself. In angle #2, I am probably running .13's to .15's and I am nowhere near beating the slide forward with my trigger finger.

User Tag List