Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Glock

Site Supporter
    In direct response to this:

What are the things that Glock shooters wish they had been told when starting out?

My answer would be learn from the start to allow the trigger to reset under recoil. It should be reset as the front sight settles back into the rear sight My job went to Glocks a long time ago and our transition training did not stress this. When a well known instructor suggested this at a class, it was truly a "duh" kind of moment.

I transitioned to Glocks from a TDA H and K. I heard a lot of hysterics at the time. For me the only true down side of the Glock is that you have to pull the trigger to take it apart. I've seen many a cop take their TDA guns apart to clean and found a round in the chamber after disassembly. The upside to this poor procedure is it didn't go bang.

Developing a good procedure to avoid this is the way to go. If you've seen the above for yourself then what really is going on with the Glock is that the poor procedures are now showing up when they were really there all along. If the transition training emphasizes this your department could actually be safer in the long run. If it doesn't, it could end up with a few bangs in the cleaning room or at their homes.

Everything else in my opinion is just the normal transition. Everything is different so a concentrated effort of familiarization is needed in the first day with constant followup the first few weeks. From dryfire to range time it will become ordinary very quickly.

Also, don't discount the fact that many poor to average shooters who are trying to improve will actually be able to improve greatly from the Glock trigger. It's actually easier for a marginal shooter to shoot. On the other side, don't expect the unmotivated shooter to suddenly pass the course where they couldn't before. Striving to shoot the minimum is still striving to shoot the minimum no matter what platform one shoots.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

As it's already been stated, what feels best when dry firing, may not be what you shoot best as far as grip size.

What I most wish I had been told was to not try and treat a Glock like a 1911 as it relates to my trigger press, and where I put my finger on the trigger. I actually do best if I sink a bit more finger onto the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    My agency is going to be transitioning from the P229 to the Glock 19M in the relatively near future.
    Relative is a great term to use here. If you've heard any new specifics, don't be holding out on me.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    First off, just because a smaller gripped Glock feels better dry firing, does not mean it shoots better. Make note of that in case you get Gen4s. If you get Gen3s, try a beavertail.

Do the 25 cent trigger job with a Dremel and toothpaste, metal polish, whatever.

Consider talking to your armorer about the SCD/Gadget. Tom will probably send him one for evaluation if he's curious.

Look the weapon into the holster and take your time reholstering (I understand that isn't always possible in police work but it should be usually). The usual caveats about no dangling drawstrings/physical impediments near the holster apply.
    The 25 cent job is interesting, although I am extremely leery of making any sort of modification to a duty gun. Is there any effective difference between polishing it, and a few thousand rounds of break in?

I would love the Gadget, but I suspect that due to the logistical and training nightmare that is our supply chain, it probably wont be something I can effectively push.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    JDD,

I'm talking to your agency now about doing a high level transition course. Hopefully we'll meet on a range.
    I hope so, although it is looking like I might be in a different training course over the next few months. Ironically, they apparently do a chunk of Glock fam fire there as well. Most of our instructors are outstanding, although one or two emphasize things that I don't necessarily agree with from a doctrinal perspective (like point shooting).

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    There's other people more qualified than me for the marksmanship aspect, so I won't touch that.

I will say that for any gun (hammered, gadget, striker, whatever) I want a holster that allows me to reholster without flagging my body. I have no idea how your built so that will be a personal journey for you, but the raven eidolon is a good starting point if you don't know what you want yet because it can be configured so many different ways. Tony from JM custom can probably help you out, too.

Do I prefer a hammer or a gadget? Sure. But as long as I can reholster without flagging myself I'm okay. At that point other things like looking the gun into the holster become that much more important. It helps to have a tactile register position, too. Depending on your hand the ejection port or the take down lever are good references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am fairly thin, and I currently carry strong side OWB under cover garments with a JM custom holster (it is one of the few decent concealable ones that also fits the XC-1). I think they will be issuing us Raven holsters of some form, although I don't know what type.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    My agency won't allow the Gadget and my body doesn't like AIWB. I also have to wear a suit and tie more often than I care to and so I stick with a hip mounted holster. That said, I think too many shooters and even trainers put emphasis on holstering without looking the gun into it. I've heard all the reasons why it's not tactcial to look at your holster but I consider them rubbish. If there is still a threat I'm not putting away my gun. There is no rush to holster so if the Gadget isn't approved then the user can mitigate the risk in my experience.
    Thanks, this makes sense. I follow this school of thought for the most part. I can think of situations where I will need to rapidly re-holster, but for my type of work it is much less likely.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Plenty of good advice this far. Mostly just get as many reps of everything as you can.

Okie John
    Hard to go wrong there. Depending on how work goes, I am optimistic that I will be able to burn a fairly decent number of rounds through it before getting to a range becomes orders of magnitude harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    In direct response to this:

What are the things that Glock shooters wish they had been told when starting out?

My answer would be learn from the start to allow the trigger to reset under recoil. It should be reset as the front sight settles back into the rear sight My job went to Glocks a long time ago and our transition training did not stress this. When a well known instructor suggested this at a class, it was truly a "duh" kind of moment.
    This makes sense. Is it a different technique from shooting any other type of pistol, or is it something you want to be mindful of on account of a longer/different reset from a TDA? I know that going between the Short Reset Trigger in some of my gaming guns and the classic parts in my duty gun had me short stroking the reset for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    As it's already been stated, what feels best when dry firing, may not be what you shoot best as far as grip size.

What I most wish I had been told was to not try and treat a Glock like a 1911 as it relates to my trigger press, and where I put my finger on the trigger. I actually do best if I sink a bit more finger onto the trigger.
    This is what I am looking for. I will keep the backstrap info in mind. One of the aspects of my job is that we occasionally fall in on gear that has not been issued/fitted to us. I would love to know what they will set up pool type firearms with because I may configure my own in the same way.

I have always used a pretty heavily sunk finger, so I am anticipating taking awhile to figure out where/how to position my hand.

I really appreciate all the responses in this thread, it is the kind of info I come here for!

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Relative is a great term to use here. If you've heard any new specifics, don't be holding out on me.....

Well you see, It depends...

I have heard plenty of new specifics, but for the most part is it uncorroborated information from sources that have not been verified by previous reporting. I am anticipating anywhere between 2-12+ months, with roll-out dependent on different units, high speed and high profile getting em before they turn them over the minion grade folks.

Well you see, It depends...

I have heard plenty of new specifics, but for the most part is it uncorroborated information from sources that have not been verified by previous reporting. I am anticipating anywhere between 2-12+ months, with roll-out dependent on different units, high speed and high profile getting em before they turn them over the minion grade folks.
    That's exactly why I just ordered a new holster for the SIG + XC1 (which the better half gave me for Valentines).

*Jared's diamond store jingle*

She went to Surefire...
    Last edited by TGS; 02-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

The 25 cent job is interesting, although I am extremely leery of making any sort of modification to a duty gun. Is there any effective difference between polishing it, and a few thousand rounds of break in?
    Not a lawyer, but I've known a few. There is probably no difference until you are a defendant and are asked, "Does your department authorize kitchen-table trigger jobs?"

Site Supporter
    JDD,

I don't know that I would call it a different technique. It feels different. The Glock pushes back harder against your finger making the reset more of a relaxation of the flexors of the trigger finger rather than a contraction of the extensors. Heavier trigger springs can add to that feeling. I have not short stroked a Glock after shooting other trigger systems. I have short stroked other DA/SA triggers after shooting a Glock. I suspect that with the possible exception of the Sig SRT triggers, the travel from reset to the "wall" is shorter with the Glock. I have some substantial Sig time but none with an SRT though. As they say, YMMV.

User Tag List