Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Transitioning to Glock

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    Update:

I am now in possession of a brand new 19M and some other Glock related paraphernalia.

First, I really appreciate this specific advice Surf, it has made a huge difference for me. I am not sure where the post I made earlier thanking you for this went, but I can't overstate the improvement to my technique.

Our agencies transition course is pretty solid within the confines of an institutional training program. We got a fair chunk of gear issued with the new guns, and they took their time and walked us through all of it, and then ran drills focused on the basic skills for each piece of kit. It was a course designed to take decent shooting folks who can pass a qual with a sig, and turn them into folks who are legally certified to pass a qual and carry a Glock, but they addressed all of the major pitfalls that I ran into (including getting the mags to drop free) the first time I shot a glock.

The 19M is a little rougher than the Gen4 with a gazillion rounds down the pipe that I have previously spent time with, but it is growing on me. The sights we have are really nice, they look like a slightly smaller version of the Trijicon HD sights I have on a P227. The dot is easy to pick up close in, but not so large that it drowns things out at the 25 yard line. The trigger is rougher than I am used to at distance. Even with the constant lower press weight, I had more trouble shooting 25 yard groups than I had doing Double action only groups with the SIG. It may be a function of not yet having a smooth press with the pad of my finger.

Bottom line, this thread has been extremely useful, and I don't hate my Glock nearly as much as I would without it.
    Hey JDD, not a problem and glad things are working out well. I carried the P226 for about 15 years, and I was a polymer hater at one time. The transition to the Glock was a bit of a change at first but it now fits me very well.

Additional thoughts:

- I did not expect to notice the reduced weight, but the shape of the 19 over the 229, or the weight makes for a much less noticeable carry.

- I really miss the ability to control the hammer. Our carry and quals are shot from concealment, and I am am a thin dude. I live in pretty constant fear that I am getting shirt tail/cover garment/ect caught in my holster.

Shooting Journal.

Do itttttt

User Tag List