Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Glock

Transitioning to Glock

I have spent the overwhelming majority of my handgun trigger time with TDA firearms, first the M9, and then SIG 226/9s of various flavors.

My agency is going to be transitioning from the P229 to the Glock 19M in the relatively near future. I have no hate and discontent towards the Glock, but I have made a conscious effort to concentrate on one platform at a time for both work and gaming. As a result, I have almost no experience shooting Glock platform guns (probably less than 150 lifetime rounds).

From my limited experience with Glocks I know that I will need to learn a dramatically different index, and that the lack of an under-thumb slide release is going to drive me nuts for a while.

What are the things that Glock shooters wish they had been told when starting out?

Without being able to install a gadget, how do you mitigate the lack of hammer control when holstering?

I am not a completely inexperienced shooter (pretty consistently mid C in USPSA production class), but this is almost completely new territory for me.

First off, just because a smaller gripped Glock feels better dry firing, does not mean it shoots better. Make note of that in case you get Gen4s. If you get Gen3s, try a beavertail.

Do the 25 cent trigger job with a Dremel and toothpaste, metal polish, whatever.

Consider talking to your armorer about the SCD/Gadget. Tom will probably send him one for evaluation if he's curious.

Look the weapon into the holster and take your time reholstering (I understand that isn't always possible in police work but it should be usually). The usual caveats about no dangling drawstrings/physical impediments near the holster apply.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I have spent the overwhelming majority of my handgun trigger time with TDA firearms, first the M9, and then SIG 226/9s of various flavors.

My agency is going to be transitioning from the P229 to the Glock 19M in the relatively near future. I have no hate and discontent towards the Glock, but I have made a conscious effort to concentrate on one platform at a time for both work and gaming. As a result, I have almost no experience shooting Glock platform guns (probably less than 150 lifetime rounds).

From my limited experience with Glocks I know that I will need to learn a dramatically different index, and that the lack of an under-thumb slide release is going to drive me nuts for a while.

What are the things that Glock shooters wish they had been told when starting out?

Without being able to install a gadget, how do you mitigate the lack of hammer control when holstering?

I am not a completely inexperienced shooter (pretty consistently mid C in USPSA production class), but this is almost completely new territory for me.
    IMHO, don't overthink it. I transitioned from revolvers, Gov't Model .45 and S&W 6906 to Glock and I can recall no angst during the process.
    Once you've shot the gun a few times it will be second nature. Again, just my humble opinion. Maybe I'm the exception rather than the rule but I don't think so.

Since I've carried them for 28 years (appendix and OWB) before installing a "gadget" I'd say just do what you'd do with any loaded firearm...which is to say take the time and precautions to reholster carefully by ensuring that no obstruction, (brass, drawstring, fingers) interferes with the process.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I think 1000 dry presses gives Glock a good trigger. Don't overthink it, do a bunch of dry practice and then live and understand the difference.

I run a Glock left handed often so I have adopted racking the slide to get it to drop after a reload, same for both hands.

Second, keeping Holster clear of dangling stuff. You might need to retrain, a slow conscious reholster. Not always an option as a cop but that slow training will give you the confidence and skill to do it quickly if needed.

JDD,

I'm talking to your agency now about doing a high level transition course. Hopefully we'll meet on a range.

Transitioning to Glock

There's other people more qualified than me for the marksmanship aspect, so I won't touch that.

I will say that for any gun (hammered, gadget, striker, whatever) I want a holster that allows me to reholster without flagging my body. I have no idea how your built so that will be a personal journey for you, but the raven eidolon is a good starting point if you don't know what you want yet because it can be configured so many different ways. Tony from JM custom can probably help you out, too.

Do I prefer a hammer or a gadget? Sure. But as long as I can reholster without flagging myself I'm okay. At that point other things like looking the gun into the holster become that much more important. It helps to have a tactile register position, too. Depending on your hand the ejection port or the take down lever are good references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mitch; 02-18-2017 at 01:33 PM.

JDD I think you are already ahead of the game when switching guns. I started with my first gun a P226 in 9mm and my agency switched from revolvers to P226/9mm just before I was hired. We quickly switched to P226/40 and after lots of problems switched to Glock 22/40 and never looked back. Having already managed the DA to SA trigger and decocking a Glock is easier. We found our qualification scores went up and we had less people needing to re qualify. In 20 years of use by a lot of non gun people types we had 2 NDs. 1 when an officer was getting ready to shoot and putting his gear together and on near his car at an outdoor range and he fired a round into the ground behind his car. The other was with a new shooter in training before they went on the road for the first time. That person fired a round into a file cabinet in the cleaning room before disassembling. Both were preventable obviously but neither and none during dynamic movement or draw/re holstering in all kinds of weather,day or night,indoor or outdoors and even Simunitions training where people seem to be more casual and things get crazy in some scenarios. We had 200+ officers for many years and rotated through approx 8 a year that retired with 8-10 new officers. That shows that every 10-12 years half the officers are new and still no problems.

My agency won't allow the Gadget and my body doesn't like AIWB. I also have to wear a suit and tie more often than I care to and so I stick with a hip mounted holster. That said, I think too many shooters and even trainers put emphasis on holstering without looking the gun into it. I've heard all the reasons why it's not tactcial to look at your holster but I consider them rubbish. If there is still a threat I'm not putting away my gun. There is no rush to holster so if the Gadget isn't approved then the user can mitigate the risk in my experience.

Plenty of good advice this far. Mostly just get as many reps of everything as you can.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I have very little experience with Glocks, but I have a PPQ for an EDC. When I go to the range, I draw and shoot from a IWB holster. Before re-holstering, I consciously place my index and middle finger outside the trigger guard and clear all clothing from the holster with the off hand. Not only do I look, but I use my finger tips to feel the lip of the holster to guide the pistol into the holster. If anything feels off, I stop and find out what's going on
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List