Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to choose a RV

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

I like the Airstreams I have seen, except that they are definitely best-suited to good roads, so I am starting to pay attention to overlanding-type RVs. We will certainly not be rock-crawling or trying to drive through swamps, but the ability to handle occasional unpaved roads would be nice.
    Airstream are pretty robust, but at 30', the rear overhang on mine might be problematic. Perhaps a 19' Bambi or maybe 25' model.

The tires AS typically uses are Goodyear Marathon ST tires. They suck. I'd definitely replace them if I were going off road (I put Michelin LTX M/S LT tires on my 30').

Anyway, there might be some ideas here:

www.expeditionportal.com

And here:

http://www.kimberleykampers.com/
    Last edited by RJ; 02-19-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    If that was to me, we bought a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 short box crew cab. Options included the 6.7l Cummins engine and Rambox Cargo Management System.
    Yup and thank you. My cousin the pro rodeo cowboy, when rodeoing, was alway on the up and up on what worked for pulling animals from rodeo to rodeo, state to state. Before he bought a well used semi tractor rig, he preferred Dodge/Cummins. The rodeo cowboys absolutely know which trucks work and which don't.
    #RESIST

A friend pulled a good size trailer, then a large trailer, with a Dodge Diesel Dualie. She had some interesting stories about the vehicle, a lot no doubt due to it being well used when she got it. But the Cummins diesel Just Ran.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I'm hoping this thread goes on and on. I kind of like the idea of a small towed vehicle behind a bigger RV for the running around my wife would want to do once camp was set up. What's a good choice for a towed vehicle these days? Also, how small of a RV could you comfortable tow a vehicle behind? Class C maybe?

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

How to choose a RV

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I'm hoping this thread goes on and on. I kind of like the idea of a small towed vehicle behind a bigger RV for the running around my wife would want to do once camp was set up. What's a good choice for a towed vehicle these days? Also, how small of a RV could you comfortable tow a vehicle behind? Class C maybe?

Having talked to a few folks with toads, apparently vehicles that can decouple transmissions easily for flat towing are popular.

I see a lot of Jeeps as well as older Honda CR/Vs, so these probably work. But honestly you see everything from Smart cars to 1/2 T pickups.

Ref towing, for example, our 22' Sprinter could tow 5,000 lbs and had a max tongue weight of 500 lbs.

However comma.

I'd check the tow vehicle Gross Combined Weight Rating, too. Just because you can pull it, does not mean the service brakes are up to the combined load. I don't believe toads are braked while being towed, like a Travel Trailer. Need someone with experience to confirm.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-21-2017 at 10:35 AM.

One of the local RV dealers was throwing in a Kia Rio your urban assault vehicle.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Off topic and definitely thread drift but I am seeing a ton of those little Jeep Renegades on the road. I'd read they were built on a Fiat platform I think and figured that would sink them in the market. So much for what I know , turns out they're pretty cheap which probably explains some of it.

No experience with RV's, but we've towed a bunch (equipment trailers/farm tractors, Race cars, large boats). I don't think I'll ever choose a truck that's not a dualie.

How to choose a RV

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is RV beds.

As an FYI, some RVs come with non-standard sizes. For example, out unit has a "Short Queen", or 75" long.

I saw this placard with a few common sizes, and thought it might be helpful:

Last edited by RJ; 02-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup and thank you. My cousin the pro rodeo cowboy, when rodeoing, was alway on the up and up on what worked for pulling animals from rodeo to rodeo, state to state. Before he bought a well used semi tractor rig, he preferred Dodge/Cummins. The rodeo cowboys absolutely know which trucks work and which don't.
    I'd have to keep track, but out of the Diesel trucks at any given RV park, I'd say at least 1/2 are Cummings Rams and the rest split between Powerstroke Fords or Chevy/GMC Duramax.

I'm no truck guy, but I like the Cummings. Being a former BMW owner, I have a thing for inline 6s. The rear coil springs as well as Ramboxes made me buy a Ram. 28,450 miles no issues knock on wood. 11-12 mpg towing on hills, 14-16 flat. The automated exhaust brake works really really well down steep grades. The 800 ft lb of torque help move it along, even though it's 7,200 lbs or so.

User Tag List