Thread: VP9 Slide Not Locking Back on Empty

Hammertime

VP9 Slide Not Locking Back on Empty

I have a new VP9 with only one shooting session and 150 rounds through it. During that session I noticed a couple failures to lock back on empty that I attributed to my grip.

I have been working it dry and while working reloads have found it will intermittently fail to lock back on an empty. I have isolated the problem to a single magazine, and have actually swapped springs and follower from a functioning magazine which did not help. The issue appears to be due to the actual magazine body. I have inspected the inside of the body and found nothing the follower could hang up on and it seems to insert the same as any other magazine. I see nothing out of the ordinary on the outside.

I contacted HK and they offered to swap the magazine out for me which is generous. Before sending it in I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this problem. I have one friend who carries a VP9 as his primary pistol, when I mentioned this to him, he noted that he also had the issue with a certain magazine. He cleaned the gun and it stopped, but it was also a single magazine issue for him.

I guess I am wondering if HK has changed specs on the magazine body or internals as Glock so famously does on the fly.

Not that wasn't attributed to my Grip.

Interesting you can isolate it to a magazine; by all accounts I've heard, magazines are an HK strong point.

Are you interested in swapping parts within the magazine? Might it be an idea to swap followers maybe?

I sure haven't seen anything that would suggest HK has changed mag specs recently...only thing I heard is they are using the VP40 RSA across the VP line now.

Never had an issue that wasn't shooter induced, but if HK offered to swap your faulty mag do it. They're disposable items, so a freebie is a winning situation.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post

Are you interested in swapping parts within the magazine? Might it be an idea to swap followers maybe?
    I swapped internals (spring and follower) with another functional magazine. The functional one continued to function the malfunctioning one continued to malfunction. In other words the malfunction follower the magazine body only.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I swapped internals (spring and follower) with another functional magazine. The functional one continued to function the malfunctioning one continued to malfunction. In other words the malfunction follower the magazine body only.
    I am sorry E, you did say that in the OP. My apologies.

That is pretty strange. Hopefully the new magazine from HK will solve the problem.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-17-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Is the malfunctioning mag body damaged in some way such that, it is not letting a follower that works in another magazine body work in the malfunctioning body ?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Is the malfunctioning mag body damaged in some way such that, it is not letting a follower that works in another magazine body work in the malfunctioning body ?
    Not that I can tell. Looks perfect. I may need to look at the slide stop. Or just swap the mag and forget about it. It appears no one else is noticing this.

Site Supporter
    I have not noticed the issue you described. FWIW, the magazines function as they should in the VP9 as well as a P30 and a P30SK. Any failures to lock the slide on an empty magazine are my fault through incorrect hand placement.
    Last edited by Jason M; 02-18-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Atrocious grammar

VP9 won't lock back on empty magazine

Quote Originally Posted by enel View Post
    i have a new vp9 with only one shooting session and 150 rounds through it. During that session i noticed a couple failures to lock back on empty that i attributed to my grip.

I have been working it dry and while working reloads have found it will intermittently fail to lock back on an empty. I have isolated the problem to a single magazine, and have actually swapped springs and follower from a functioning magazine which did not help. The issue appears to be due to the actual magazine body. I have inspected the inside of the body and found nothing the follower could hang up on and it seems to insert the same as any other magazine. I see nothing out of the ordinary on the outside.

I contacted hk and they offered to swap the magazine out for me which is generous. Before sending it in i wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this problem. I have one friend who carries a vp9 as his primary pistol, when i mentioned this to him, he noted that he also had the issue with a certain magazine. He cleaned the gun and it stopped, but it was also a single magazine issue for him.

I guess i am wondering if hk has changed specs on the magazine body or internals as glock so famously does on the fly.

so, wife and i both have vp9's. (we are long time glock users too.) she was having the same issue. At first i thought it was her grip. She was convinced it wasn't. I emptied all three magazines and put them in the gun and manually pulled the slide back. It locked to the rear on 2 of her 3 magazines. On the "bad" magazine i noticed that the follower didn't come up as high as on the two "good" magazines. If you look at the top of the magazines (bullet facing away from you) near to front right corner is a small metal "tab." it was bent/pushed down slightly more than on the "good" magazines. I pried it up a tiny bit and that was enough to allow the magazine follower to lock the slide to the rear on the empty magazine.

No idea how it got bent, maybe from dropping it while doing reloads.

User Tag List