Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Start/Surrender positions (split off)

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    If you had to choose between carrying OC in your off hand for MUCing vs. a flashlight, which would you choose?

Would it be different for day vs. night? Let's say for an urban environment where lighting itself isn't an issue. Also let's say that that whichever you choose, the other one is available in the same-side pocket.
    I'd take a light, personally. I don't like to use OC and worst case you can be subjected to it yourself. Also, aside from general or tactical lighting utility, the light can be a handy impact / striking weapon.

I'm sure many others would choose differently.
    Last edited by blues; 02-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

To clarify, when I say OC I'm talking about something like the Sabre Red Baton. So similar form factor, method of operation, and impact usability as a flashlight. Also, generally cone delivery mechanism and short range.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I think we need to split the split thread. Note to self: do that when you get in front of a computer.
    Just be thankful it evolved rather than devolved.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I think we need to split the split thread. Note to self: do that when you get in front of a computer.
    Sorry, I was teetering on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dove View Post
    Anyone have thoughts or experience on substituting OC for the light in the flash technique?

I'm also wondering how many lumens are necessary for the flash to be effective.
    A couple thoughts related to level of light and ambiguity:

If it's fairly bright out, like where I tend to think that someone is not going to easily lose track of me even when flashed in the eyes with a bright light, then maybe the OC is better due to having a presumably better ability to reduce their vision than the light.

However, it's hard to use OC for anything but using or threatening to use physical force. You get that hand somewhat more locked in to 'physical force' by putting a can of OC in it (hit or spray are the big options.) With a light, at least the lumens can be administered (not force) with the light in the hand, as well as strikes via the hand (physical force) or light (potentially deadly force.) If the whole discussion is predicated on ambiguity, which it certainly seems to be, maybe that span of options is better than the narrower span of options allowed by the can of OC?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

In any situation where lighting is a reasonable issue, I'd rather have the torch.

It allows you to project more hard target indicators without threatening force like Gabe mentioned. Just being the guy that quick taps the alleyway as you pass or the blind spot by the car you are approaching signals pretty strongly that you aren't a mark.

If I'm wandering where animals may be a real factor, I'll go with the OC though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List