Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Start/Surrender positions (split off)

Start/Surrender positions (split off)

Not sure what you guys mean about the start position, but I think that's much more legit than starting with your hands down, fingers halfway curled up your hem.

As far as shooting before full extension, that's how you get those speeds. You have to cut corners. No one can repeatedly make 90% hits on a down zero at 7 yards at that speed. I'm not saying the .53 or.54 draw is a useful skill, or a legit ability, but it is fast, there is no question about that.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Pulls the trigger at around midway through his extension.

No target either.

Also it's from that weakness position of surrender.

Sounds like he shot steel. Showing compliance/surrender is a pretty efficient way to get bad guys eyes off you if your behind the power curve and carrying concealed. Active Self Protection (YouTube) has plenty of videos where people show surrender/ compliance and then when given the opprutonity kill the bad guy.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-17-2017 at 08:43 AM.

A surrender position is just that.

If someone is in your reactionary gap and you try that you are setting yourself up for a really bad day.

Furthermore if you have the opportunity to draw from a standard standing position on someone outside your reactionary gap, and you practice this type of draw, you will actually add time to your draw.

The whole position is based on the premise you need to put your hands up for something.

Thats not how reality works.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

A surrender position is just that.

If someone is in your reactionary gap and you try that you are setting yourself up for a really bad day.

Furthermore if you have the opportunity to draw from a standard standing position on someone outside your reactionary gap, and you practice this type of draw, you will actually add time to your draw.

The whole position is based on the premise you need to put your hands up for something.

Thats not how reality works.
    How should he be standing then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Rephrase then... What is wrong with the hands up, how he has them or anywhere within the realm of what's appropriate for conversation?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Rephrase then... What is wrong with the hands up, how he has them or anywhere within the realm of what's appropriate for conversation?
    Already explained the hand up.

Rest don't know what you are talking about.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Trex arms

Already explained the hand up.

Rest don't know what you are talking about.
    I'll try: in order to be most applicable to any given SD situation, what starting position would you practice most?

Or, are there any positions you would avoid?

Or would you practice all positions?

My thoughts: practice all positions, e.g. Surrender, fence, arms crossed (bouncer), arms akimbo, hands at sides; seated in a chair, seated on couch, in a vehicle, etc. etc.

Yes? No?
    Last edited by RJ; 02-17-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Let me ask you guys a question...

If you were in a situation and someone did something, like point a gun at you or a knife, or something that you reasonably believed was a weapon...Would you put your hands up or would you know that your deadly force/shoot threshold was crossed and instantly act?
    VDMSR.com

Let me ask you guys a question...

If you were in a situation and someone did something, like point a gun at you or a knife, or something that you reasonably believed was a weapon...Would you put your hands up or would you know that your deadly force/shoot threshold was crossed and instantly act?
    Plenty of people are dead because they drew on a drawn gun. Your proposing an absolute that simply isn't always the best course of action. Sometimes faking compliance or surrender can create an opprutonity to act. Other times it may be prudent to act immediately. There is a difference between iniating an ambush when comparing it to a counter ambush.

You also said this isn't how reality works. There are plenty examples on that YouTube channel showing that in fact does work in reality. He also has examples of how drawing on a drawn gun will get you killed. It's really dangerous to state absolutes.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 02-17-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Plenty of people are dead because they drew on a drawn gun. Your proposing an absolute that simply isn't always the best course of action. Sometimes faking compliance or surrender can create an opprutonity to act. Other times it may be prudent to act immediately. There is a difference between iniating an ambush when comparing it to a counter ambush.

You also said this isn't how reality works. There are plenty examples on that YouTube channel showing that in fact does work in reality. He also has examples of how drawing on a drawn gun will get you killed. It's really dangerous to state absolutes.
    Couldnt agree more.

Ive been in that situation a few times, once on personal time and twice on job time, where those circumstances were forced on me. One time I handled it rather badly, the other two worked out quite well. The other two involved a short period of feigning compliance, with my hands in much the same position as a surrender.

User Tag List