Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex IWB #3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi, all.

@Tony Mayer

I currently carry a G19 or G43 in a JMCK AIWB 2.0 holster. I would like to try carrying strong side IWB around the 2:30-3:30 position. So I'd like to order a JMCK IWB #3 to try. I'm just trying to determine which configuration would be recommended. I'd like the holster to be as low-profile as possible, of course. For that reason, I was considering the DCC monoclip, but I prefer the wide-spaced loops on my AIWB holster for stability, so I may go with the wide pull-the-dot loops instead. I am 6'2" tall, 205lbs, 36" waist, 34" inseam... so tall with long legs and relatively short torso. That's why AIWB appealed to me, and it works well for an easy draw, but I'd like to explore IWB too. For cant, I'd really prefer 0 degrees but I'm not sure if that's really feasible for concealability. How much does a 10 degree cant affect the draw in that position? I'm used to an essentially 0 degree cant on my AIWB holster. I have tried other IWB holsters in the past, but they all felt like a large bulge on my side due to relatively wide hips, so I'm hoping the IWB #3 can change that. If the G19 is too thick, I may also try a G48. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Chris
    Not Tony. But have carried a shitload strong side in a ton of iwb3 rigs. I find the 10-15 cant to be the fastest to draw especially when you get to that 330 mark. Your wrist is at a more natural angle when you are reaching around and back vs appendix where it’s straight down. The cant also conceals better for me.

I will say, depending on if you are lightbearing or rds capable that will affect the cant. You have to run I think 15 or less maybe. I have had up to 20 depending on the size of the rig. Tony is awesome at helping with this and I am sure will give you a better response than this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Hi, all.

@Tony Mayer

I currently carry a G19 or G43 in a JMCK AIWB 2.0 holster. I would like to try carrying strong side IWB around the 2:30-3:30 position. So I'd like to order a JMCK IWB #3 to try. I'm just trying to determine which configuration would be recommended. I'd like the holster to be as low-profile as possible, of course. For that reason, I was considering the DCC monoclip, but I prefer the wide-spaced loops on my AIWB holster for stability, so I may go with the wide pull-the-dot loops instead. I am 6'2" tall, 205lbs, 36" waist, 34" inseam... so tall with long legs and relatively short torso. That's why AIWB appealed to me, and it works well for an easy draw, but I'd like to explore IWB too. For cant, I'd really prefer 0 degrees but I'm not sure if that's really feasible for concealability. How much does a 10 degree cant affect the draw in that position? I'm used to an essentially 0 degree cant on my AIWB holster. I have tried other IWB holsters in the past, but they all felt like a large bulge on my side due to relatively wide hips, so I'm hoping the IWB #3 can change that. If the G19 is too thick, I may also try a G48. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Chris
    The 3:30 position places the gun far enough back to take advantage of a hollow around your hip, while not placing it back quite far enough to end up sitting on the gun. It also places it far enough back so that it will be somewhat hidden if an open-front jacket swings open, while not being far enough back to completely pull away from your back and thus print badly when you bend at the waist.

In the 3:30 position, I find a 10 degree cant to be perfect. It is enough cant to keep the end of the grip close to my torso, without being so much cant that it interferes with drawing the gun. Some guns, such as a Glock 26, can work well with zero cant in this position. Minimized cant also reduces the total amount of additional width that must be fit within your waistband.

Hi, all.

@Tony Mayer

Chris
    Chris, IWB concealment rely's on ride height coupled with cant for concealment (and usually comfort) so more cant usually equals more concealment. It may also mean slower draws, however I think that is more of a training issue than anything. 2:30 position is forward of the hips so if you're going to carry there, you may be better served with the George style appendix holster.

For the 3:30 carry position, which is where I carry everyday (right behind the seam of my pants) I would suggest 10 degree cant at a minimum, 15 would conceal a bit better. either of those will work if you're running a red dot. Anymore cant then that if running a red dot and the holster will have to ride too high above the belt line to work well for concealment. Another factor to consider with cant is the muzzle/bottom of the holster and where it's going to hit you on your body. holster length will come in to play here as well but if you're going with a 4" barreled pistol you should be fine. Also, when you sit or bend over, the closer to the seam of your pants the holster is , the better the grip will stay within the side profile of your body and the more cant you have the better that will conceal. A 0 degree cant will tend to poke at the back of your shirt when sitting so rolling that grip up toward your armpit helps negate that. For your size, and for 3:30 carry, I would go with 10 if you're worried about draw speed, 15 if you want a hair more concealment, 20-25 if you want the most concealment. As for belt loops, I would go with the wide hole pattern all day and pull the dot loops. Most 1.5" belts nowadays are thin so you can move the loops down to 1 1/4 holes (all pull the dot loops have 3 sets of holes meant for 1 1/4", 1 1/2" and 1 3/4" belt sizes) and get a tighter loop to belt fit (that's what I do and I use a 1 1/2" 5 stitch wilderness belt). Or the split loop if you can put your holster on and wear it all day.

IWB carry is just like appendix carry in that micro movements one way or the other will usually have big effects. Experiment with a blue gun or unloaded real gun in the position and see what works cant and ride height wise and once you find the sweet spot take a pic of it and I can probably get pretty close to what you like.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Site Supporter
    @Tony Mayer

Thank you, Tony and the rest of you, for those detailed explanations. Appreciate it.

Last night I tried a few different IWB positions to see which may work out best. I took some photos as well to give you an idea of my physique and holster placements I tried. Note that I always drive thumb straight down between my body and the holster to acquire a strong master grip. I tend to have difficulty flagging thumb on the draw like many people do and establish a master grip. I tend to get my thumb hung up on back of slide quite often and it feels unnatural to me. Flagging my thumb also doesn’t feel as secure.

All my practice draws were done without a cover garment. I use a JMCK AIWB 2.0 with wing claw for my G19 today, but for this test I used Dale Fricke ArchAngel AIWB straight-drop holster since it didn't have a wing. I also use a 1.5" Wilderness 5 stitch Frequent Flyer belt daily. Again, I am 6'2" tall, 205lbs, 36" waist, 34" inseam... so tall with long legs and relatively short torso. I also think I have kinda wide boney hips.

Here's what I found in my tests , along with pics:

2:30
    conceals very well when both standing and sitting
    most comfortable position for me
    my bone structure tucks top of slide and grip into body very tightly
    most challenging position to drive my thumb down given how tightly the grip is against my body
    most like AIWB
    most difficult to draw from standing
    easiest to draw while sitting

3:00
    Conceals well
    2nd most comfortable position
    easier to drive thumb between body and holster
    holster presses on my hip bone, may need some thin padding to help that
    drawing from standing and sitting positions about even

3:30
    least concealable
    least comfortable
    holster presses on a nerve in back of hip, maybe some padding will help comfort.
    felt the holster move with every step I took
    easiest to drive thumb between body and holster
    easiest to draw from standing by a good margin (again, without cover garment)
    hardest to draw from sitting by a good margin

Thanks again for the guidance!
    Last edited by Chris17404; 01-08-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Site Supporter
    FWIW, I've gone with 25 degrees for my full-size guns (PX4 and M&P45). It does help with concealment and my draw is fairly glacial so there's no negative impact there. My K frame holsters are 15 degrees since the grips are shorter and thinner than on the bottomfeeders.

Site Supporter
    I'm also wondering if a little cant (perhaps no more then 10 degrees) could aid in the comfort factor in the 3:00 and 3:30 positions by moving the slide of the pistol away from the pressure points on my hip. I can see how 10 degrees of cant would help the draw and concealment in the 3:30 position, but it would definitely hinder the draw in the 3:00 position requiring an odd wrist position. The Glock grip angle is already has some built-in cant, so adding more could be a bit extreme. But I'd have to try it I guess.
    Last edited by Chris17404; 01-08-2022 at 02:00 PM.

I watch videos of Randy Harris & Bill Rapier using that 2:30 position and I was once in training with a phenomenal shooter who ran his G23 that way. I really want to like it, but my body rejects it completely.

My edc is a 26.5 in an IWB3 at 3:30 (w/another on order with the wide loop spacing) and a .32 LCR carried AIWB when concealment demands it. Best of luck to you on your experiment.

I'm also wondering if a little cant (perhaps no more then 10 degrees) could aid in the comfort factor in the 3:00 and 3:30 positions by moving the slide of the pistol away from the pressure points on my hip.
    I have settled onto 15deg for most everything, and typically do 3:00. This works great for my full size guns (typically 5" M&Ps) both OWB and IWB. But with my 4" Compact it seems like some part of my butt wants to shift the muxxel of the gun to the rear, creating more undesired cant (with the DCC Monoblock and Wilderness five stitch). I have an IWB-3 in 10deg on order to try.

@Tony Mayer

Thank you, Tony and the rest of you, for those detailed explanations. Appreciate it.

Last night I tried a few different IWB positions to see which may work out best. I took some photos as well to give you an idea of my physique and holster placements I tried. Note that I always drive thumb straight down between my body and the holster to acquire a strong master grip. I tend to have difficulty flagging thumb on the draw like many people do and establish a master grip. I tend to get my thumb hung up on back of slide quite often and it feels unnatural to me. Flagging my thumb also doesn’t feel as secure.

All my practice draws were done without a cover garment. I use a JMCK AIWB 2.0 with wing claw for my G19 today, but for this test I used Dale Fricke ArchAngel AIWB straight-drop holster since it didn't have a wing. I also use a 1.5" Wilderness 5 stitch Frequent Flyer belt daily. Again, I am 6'2" tall, 205lbs, 36" waist, 34" inseam... so tall with long legs and relatively short torso. I also think I have kinda wide boney hips.

most challenging position to drive my thumb down given how tightly the grip is against my body
    most like AIWB

Conceals well

least concealable
    least comfortable
    holster presses on a nerve in back of hip, maybe some padding will help comfort.

Chris, so based on your pics and preferences, I would suggest the George. You will have your preferred 0 degree cant and ride height adjustment. You will loose the wide hole pattern but you can cross the loops for a better loop to belt fit. Would also suggest a mid guard base on your draw technique. Let me know if that works if you go that route. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

@Tony Mayer

most like AIWB

Conceals well

least concealable
    least comfortable

sales@jmcustomkydex.com

User Tag List