Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: JM Custom Kydex IWB #3

JM Custom Kydex IWB #3

I have had this holster for a little over a year now so I wanted to give my thoughts on set up, how I use it and why I picked it up in the first place. As we all know, there are numerous kydex cookers on the market with varying degrees of quality. I do not serve in an LEO capacity any longer but have been carrying for the better part of 13 years and pretty much full time. When I was an LEO I carried an HK P2000 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB. For myself, I consider this my standard of comfort and concealment for a holster. There were two draw backs for me and those were: It was HOT in the desert so that large slab of cow hide was warm and secondly it was not quick to put on as the size and sticky backside just took an extra minute to adjust and get just right. That said, I wanted to go with platform that was fast on and off with exceptional quality so I found JMCK through a posting from Jeff Gonzales who I have taken a few classes with. Anyways.... I wanted to be able to carry everyday as soon as a left the office as my current agency does not allow people in my job series to carry. It is what it is. Should be back in another role soon. We will see how funding goes.

You may notice in the pictures that there is a white "pod" on my stomach. I am a type 1 diabetic and have to wear an insulin pump which is why I don't carry AIWB. I have asked about carrying in that platform several times but my pod gets in the way and it's not comfortable for me. I like it, but it just will not work given my condition.

After deciding on hooks, loops, the large over hook, and the belt slide, I chose the larger over hook set up. I feared the durability of the type of mounting and daily use over a wide variety of belts but I have been pleased. I have noticed that it does struggle to firmly grasp a thick leather belt and pants due to the thickness of a material and the over hook is stressed in this position, but due to the aggressive "hook" on the bottom I have never had an issue. Running, jumping, hiking and chasing my four year old on the soccer field and through a damn blow up bounce gym, I have never had anything move or come lose. The fit is tight and even wearing tighter clothing as I'm 6'1 175 and a 31 waist, the print is minimal. Kyle Defoor runs in his edc set up and I have thought of doing the same to test my gear. I don't know since I figure a bouncing gym for 30 minutes should qualify as much.

My daily usage is like anyone else, I carry a weapon. Everywhere. I carry a Gen "2.5" G27 so the trigger guard is slightly different but the holster still fits with an audible "click". I tighten down the retention screw a quarter turn over that of a Gen 4 to accommodate for the different trigger guard dimension. I take it off and on approximately 2-4 times a day and part of that is due to how quickly I can put the gun on and off. As the title says, it's an IWB #3 and I have a 10 degree cant. The holster is sized for a G19. I called Tony one day randomly and asked what he had for quick ship that would fit a 19 and 27 and this is what I got. That said, the customer service was outstanding and hence he gained a customer for life for anything kydex. I like my Raven stuff, but Tony's stuff just fits my exact needs. The mission drives the gear and all that jazz.

After a while with the rig I think it a very universal holster. It fits my need for quick on and off holster. The print is minimal and even less with a thick leather belt (Magpul Tejas and Hanks CCW), but if you like to bend over in the stripper fashion it will print just like anything else. Given the single point attachment with nothing to tuck the butt in, I was prepared for this. Looking back I think I would have waited and picked up a 15 degree cant as I carry at approximately 330-4 o'clock. The 10 degree is fine but if I add the Glock +2 extension (+1 for the G27) then the mag presses against my car seat in my VW GTI with the sport seats. Any other non sport seat would be fine but it's just something I notice. That said, I've ridden 6 hours in the car with this set up and it's fine.

Sorry for the poor pics. Cell phone and in my sons room.

Anyone have some thoughts on the JMCK OWB #1 and #2? Not sure which to go with.

I give up on the pictures.... They are sideways and I've tried to fix them. No dice.

Name:  IMG_5839.jpg
Views: 7047
Size:  39.7 KBName:  IMG_5837.jpg
Views: 7134
Size:  41.4 KBName:  IMG_5833.jpg
Views: 6824
Size:  43.0 KBName:  IMG_5842.jpg
Views: 6750
Size:  46.5 KB

Thanks for the write up, I was on the fence about getting the #3 to replace my eidolon for my Glock 19 now I'm going to,order one. Did your #3 holsters come with a sweat guard? The eidolon doesn't have one which lets my Wilson rear sight dig into my side a bit.

Hello from a fellow type 1 (diagnosed in 1985)! I am the same way on AIWB, but have some added girth around the midsection (pumping for 12+ years and using 100+ units a day has left me with a good bit of scar tissue, on top of the fat) that makes it even less of an option for me, as much as I'd like to be able to give it a try. Add in a CGM and both sides of my stomach are "in use" regularly. Your setup appears to conceal quite well for you for sure, great write up! I use one of Tony's AIWB wing-claws set up for IWB carry myself, and it's set for about a 15 degree cant. The claw really does pull the butt of the gun in quite well, and for all but bending over like you said, a G17 stays concealed quite well under an undershirt and button up shirt or polo shirt. As for the OWB style, I only have experience with the pancake style (OWB #1), and like it, but it does not conceal well for me--almost always leaves the butt sticking out too much (this of course dealing with a G17, so a 26/27 may be less of an issue). I have not tried the OWB #2 style, so don't have any way to compare.
    Last edited by martin_j001; 02-17-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jermzzzzzzz View Post
    Thanks for the write up, I was on the fence about getting the #3 to replace my eidolon for my Glock 19 now I'm going to,order one. Did your #3 holsters come with a sweat guard? The eidolon doesn't have one which lets my Wilson rear sight dig into my side a bit.
    I ordered the full sweat guard and I think it's perfect. The holster fits very tight against the body so I recommend the full guard. This is especially true if you have Trijicon XD sights...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post
    I ordered the full sweat guard and I think it's perfect. The holster fits very tight against the body so I recommend the full guard. This is especially true if you have Trijicon XD sights...

Just for what it's worth...though most of my holsters already have or will have the full sweat guard, I have had no issues with the Trijicon HDs with the mid sized guard on my JMCK "George". It may be a function of anatomy and physical type...I'm not sure...but thus far I have not gotten bitten despite the normal contortions one goes through on any given day. I know a lot of folks have complained about the (admittedly) sharp corners of the rear sight.
    Last edited by blues; 02-17-2017 at 10:56 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

NCmtnman, thanks for the review and the kudos! We really appreciate the business and glad our holsters work for you. For your body style, I would get the Version 2, it's better suited to leaner guys.

Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

The version 3 is my go to holster. I have 4 of them and every one of them is excellent. I have one of my most recent purchases on at the moment for some dry fire practice with my px4. I especially like how the trigger guard is built up to help rotate the grip into the body. Of the kydex magicians I am aware of Tony is the only one doing this and you alway get awesome service.

Tony,

I have a couple of your holsters and love them, great product. The Tom Givens packages for the 17/34 has a 25 degree cant. What cant for a G19 worn between 3 & 4 o'clock do you recommend? This would be for an IWB3. Thank you.
    Last edited by cathellsk; 02-18-2017 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCmtnman View Post

Placed my order today, 15 degree cant and full sweat guard, thanks again for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by cathellsk View Post
    Tony,

I have a couple of your holsters and love them, great product. The Tom Givens packages for the 17/34 has a 25 degree cant. What cant for a G19 worn between 3 & 4 o'clock do you recommend? This would be for an IWB3. Thank you.
    I like 10 degrees, but prefer 15 degrees for concealment. YMMV

User Tag List