Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW/Field OWB Holster for Glock 21

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

CCW/Field OWB Holster for Glock 21

It looks like my son might go to college in Montana which would be great! I used to spend quite a bit of time up there and really love it.

I was thinking about what gun to carry when I visit as we would incorporate hiking and fishing into most visits. The .45 ACP thread over in the Semi-Auto Pistol forum got me thinking about my Glock 21. I shoot it really well and it has been 100% reliable with all types of ammo.

That got me thinking about holsters. I hunt with my 20/21 so most of my holsters are geared towards comfortable field carry and not really suitable for CCW. I would like to find a holster that might work well for both. I realize this might be a stretch.

Part of me wants to just use my Glock Sport/Combat holster with a good belt and call it good. I have used the S/C type holsters for over 25 years and they work pretty well for what they are.

I was also looking at something like the El Paso Saddlery Stongside Select: https://epsaddlery.com/product/strongside-select/

I thought I would throw it out to the group and see if anyone had any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

JMCK OWB 2 would probably work very well.

I carry the Glock 20, USP FS and FN 510 in a JM George AIWB.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Privateer Corsair.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I will never buy another leather holster. I don’t like how they draw, especially if they get wet.

Like @GJM, I’ve done a lot of rugged hiking in griz country with a Glock 20 AIWB. I use a JMCK WC 2.5. OWB or 3:30 carry doesn’t work for concealment for me with that large a gun. So, if I’m going OWB it’s open carry.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've been trying to find the perfect OWB holster for about a decade now. The closest I've found is the one from Upper Hand Holsters. My primary design feature I want is that I want more than 3/4 of gun molded to the outer part of the pancake for two reasons 1) less molding on the inside of the pancake allows it to really curve around your hip with no hotspots and 2) it pulls the butt of the gun inside to your body for concealability. Upper Hand is the only kydex version I've been able to find to do this and its in a straight drop (my preference). Its an incredibly comfortable 230-300 carry compared to everything else I've tried. It rides about a 1/4 inch lower than JMCK OWB 1 and that really helps it not stick into my rib cage during bending over etc.

Mitch Rosen calls this "offset construction" and found only in their president model but its canted for ~430 carry. Galco calls this "forward molded" and found in their Concealable 2 model (also canted for 430 carry). El Passo calls it "flat back" in their strong-side select (coincidently the one you linked).

I have found chest carry only workable for fall/winter months as it is just two hot and restricting when the temps are above 70 for me.

Fanny pack - very comfortable but really only concealable for glock 19 size and smaller guns. A full size glock in a fanny pack screams gun to me. Not sure if concealability is important to you.

A glock 19 will also fit perfect inside a holster that is velcroed into a condor gp pouch. I used the molle straps to gerry-rig mount it to the padded hip belt of a mountain hardware hip pack. I would also put one on the other side for snacks and quick reach items - also makes the pouch look less gun-conspicuous if on both sides.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 01-18-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    This is my OWB go-to - I have an embarrassing number of them. My P30SK is riding in one right now, as a matter of fact.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Milt sparks 55bn or a Kramer or Ryan grizzled of the same design.
    Name:  IMG_20210826_135803~3.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  101.7 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Suggs View Post
    I have three JMCK OWB 2 holsters and can’t recommend them highly enough.

Adding my voice to the JMCK OWB chorus…
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List