Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
And here we are, 40 odd pages, and over 350 posts later, and we still have auto pistol lovers coming over to the revolver forum to try and convince anyone and everyone who will listen, how horribly under gunned they are if they prefer to carry a revolver. What I'm not getting is that if you feel as auto pistol lovers, you need to conduct this mutual admiration society, why not do it in the auto pistol forum instead of here?
***sigh***

Speaking as member number 4 of Pistol-Forum.com (my account having been created after the site administrator's account, ToddG's account, and Jay's account) and having been involved in the creation of the forum:

The revolver forum here was never intended to be a refuge from divergent opinions. It doesn't belong to any particular group or philosophy. It was created so that people would have a place to discuss wheelguns, whether they are used for carry, competition, collecting, or general merriment. Whether or not the revolver makes sense as a primary carry gun is a perfectly legitimate topic of discussion. People weighing in with their views on that topic is precisely the sort of activity we want at PF.com. I may not always agree with the opinions expressed, and I may even challenge assertions made on the topic...

...but that's exactly what we want to happen.

PF.com as a whole was created to be a place where people can exchange and scrutinize ideas and equipment and maybe...just maybe...learn something.

You wouldn't go on a Toyota forum if you drove a Silverado, why this then? What you are forgetting is that most revolver owners own plenty of autos. It's not as if they don't know they exist, and require you to educate us about them. They PREFER carrying a revolver. Why the difficulty in getting over that fact?
This is a firearms forum...and revolvers are firearms.

If you prefer to carry a revolver, then by all means carry a revolver. Nobody in this discussion who has questioned the practical limitations of a wheelgun is going to show up at your house and slap the J or K frame out of your hand. What you choose to carry doesn't matter to me in the least.

...but at the same don't get offended if you state a preference for a wheelgun and somebody comes along and points out the practical limitations of wheelguns as a tool of personal defense. You may have considered it fully and may have made an informed decision, but I guarantee that there are others out there who have not weighed all the factors, considered the practice from all angles, and made an informed decision. I can make that guarantee because I run into people who make choices in weapons and equipment that they don't fully understand all the time. If one wishes to prove that fact to themselves they need do nothing more than look at sales of the Taurus Judge.

So we then come to the other side of the coin:

If you've made the decision to carry a revolver because you estimate that it's just fine for what you need, why not simply state that and move on rather than getting offended that people who have come to a different decision question the practice? If their opinion is irrelevant to you, so be it. Why expend all sorts of effort trying to justify your practice if it requires no justification? At a certain point in a discussion when it's evident that people are going to have to agree to disagree, participants are going to have to decide that they've said all they need to say and move on to the next thing.

That's certainly preferable to popping into a thread that hadn't seen a response in a week and taking another swing at a horse you seem to recognize is plenty dead already.

This thread has remained open as long as it has because while there is some silliness in it, there is also some excellent discussion people could learn from if so inclined. It seems, however, that it's impossible for it to remain open without attracting attempts to beat the dead horse until there's nothing left but a greasy red smear in the pavement. So, sadly, I'm left with no choice but to lock it.