Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a revolver as a primary?

Does anyone use a revolver as a primary?

Just satisfying my curiosity here. I've done so before, a tuned SP 101 with .357 DPX in it, and an LCR as back up. Just curious to see if anyone else has ever done so, as well.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Well, there was a three-week stretch back in... '06? ...when I broke the snaps on my Galco Summer Comfort and our wholesaler was out of stock on the Royal Guard I was going to order to replace it, so I went about a month carrying a 3" K-frame, because the only other IWB rig I had at the time was a Bianchi Pistol Pocket for K/L-frame revos.

A couple of times over the last few years, the big steel 1911 IWB would cause lower back pain to flare up on the gun side, and so I'd go for a day or so with the lighter 3" K-frame in an OWB pancake holster until the owie went away. Since I switched to the M&P back in September, though, I haven't had the slightest twinge of back pain, so that may no longer be a problem.

I don't have a problem carrying a revolver. At one point I was toying with the idea of going to my Model 21TR as my everyday CCW piece before I came to my senses. I'm quite confident in my shooting with the DA trigger, perhaps more confident of a fast, first-shot hit than I am with either the 1911 or the M&P, but the knowledge that there are only six beans in the wheel is a little sobering.
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Used to. I was trying out the revolver thing and carried a 3" SP101 in an AIWB rig. I decided that while revolvers are cool, a semi-auto is an infinitely better option.

I've also used a S&W J-frame as a primary when on my cave diving trips. Getting undressed/dressed in public several times a day mandated something in a pocket. I decided to try out an automatic as well, but am having trouble finding something in that size range that is both reliable and easy to shoot accurately, quickly.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'll add that, in the coldest months of the year, the .32 Mag J-frame I carry in an outside coat pocket is my de facto primary when I'm out and about, as it's easier to access (and with either hand) than the pistol on my belt.

"Don't you want to use the coat check, Tam?"

"No, no, it's cool. I'll just keep it with me and hang it on the back of my chair..."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I carry a revolver when in Class A uniform simply because revolvers are are more classy...

I have also been known to carry a K frame.

EDC is a S&W 340 in the pocket. When the uniform of the day is shorts and a T shirt, it works.

I've been known to carry at least one .38 on occasion.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Current duty weapon is the oldest weapon in our inventory, S&W MDL 10 4" pencil nose. I carry it while in uniform on a duty belt in a Safariland Mdl 200 Top Gun holster and when in the office in plain clothes in a Safariland 518 paddle holster. I also have a Ted Blocker LFI IWB holster when I realy want to go low key.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Well, there was a three-week stretch back in... '06? ...when I broke the snaps on my Galco Summer Comfort and our wholesaler was out of stock on the Royal Guard I was going to order to replace it, so I went about a month carrying a 3" K-frame, because the only other IWB rig I had at the time was a Bianchi Pistol Pocket for K/L-frame revos.

A couple of times over the last few years, the big steel 1911 IWB would cause lower back pain to flare up on the gun side, and so I'd go for a day or so with the lighter 3" K-frame in an OWB pancake holster until the owie went away. Since I switched to the M&P back in September, though, I haven't had the slightest twinge of back pain, so that may no longer be a problem.

I don't have a problem carrying a revolver. At one point I was toying with the idea of going to my Model 21TR as my everyday CCW piece before I came to my senses. I'm quite confident in my shooting with the DA trigger, perhaps more confident of a fast, first-shot hit than I am with either the 1911 or the M&P, but the knowledge that there are only six beans in the wheel is a little sobering.

I've always shot DA/SA revolvers significantly better than semi autos, no matter the type. Something about the grip angles and recoil characteristics of semi automatics seems...off to me. I think that's a byproduct my formative gun experiences being centered around revolvers.

Originally, I felt quite comfortable with my SP 101 and a back up snub with a reload or two. Having 6 (or 5) beans in the wheel doesn't really bug me that much, provided they are the right kind of "bean". I'm significantly more confident of my accuracy with revolvers under time and pressure than I am with my semi-automatics. I'm leaning towards readopting me revolvers, but as I have some additional training courses coming up, I'm giving the semi-automatics a little be longer before I decide exactly what I want to do.

When I was competing primarily with revolvers, my carry gun was a revolver as well. I just made sense to keep everything the same.

User Tag List