Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see those beat up carry guns!

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    The PPQ I've been carrying the last few years. This was taken when I first got it and that thousand round case of 9mm is long gone. It still doesn't show much wear. It quickly became one of my favorite pistols. It too, has been a good and faithful travelling companion

I forget what pistol this holster was originally made for. Couldn't find any made for the PPQ but this one fit pretty good. I've since switched to a Theis holster made for the PPQ

Just a little little PNW rain

It's the first pistol I've felt was worthy to take over from the venerable 1911
    holster is/was for an S&W MP full size.

OK, I'll try and keep this thread alive a little longer.

Name:  Colt.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  85.7 KB

My carry gun from about 1992 until 2011. It was also my training gun and my competition gun during that time. The front strap and mainspring housing were originally stippled, but heavy use and several refinishes left it a little smooth so I put a little grip tape on it. The pistol is the one I used in my first AFHF when I earned my FAST pin. For the record, the pistol has been refinished 5 times over its life. I still shoot it every now and then, but I have no plans to ever refinish it again.

The rest of the gear in the pic was my normal EDC in the 1990's. Galco NSA holster, Galco single mag pouch, Black Talons, an Al Mar knife, and a surefire 6P with a retina searing 60 lumens. That was a serious light back in the day, today it looks a little pathetic.
    Last edited by Corey; 06-04-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Pathetic is definitely not a word I would use.

They all have character, and are beautiful.

May you continue to carry them in good health, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Pathetic is definitely not a word I would use.

They all have character, and are beautiful.

May you continue to carry them in good health, sir.
    Thank you. The pathetic remark just referred to the light output of the original Surefire 6P. When it hit the market it was so much superior to anything else at the time that it looked really impressive. Compared to the 500-800 lumen lights now available for less than a 6P when they were new, the 6P just doesn't look that great anymore. But it has been a great light for a long time.

The best LED upgrade for a 6P is from Malkoff Devices. About 325 lumens.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...re-and-Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The best LED upgrade for a 6P is from Malkoff Devices. About 325 lumens.

https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.co...re-and-Malkoff
    Good to know. I have newer lights in the 800 lumen range, but nice to have an option with the 6P. I still use it around the house, but I mostly just have it for nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The pathetic remark just referred to the light output of the original Surefire 6P. When it hit the market it was so much superior to anything else at the time that it looked really impressive. Compared to the 500-800 lumen lights now available for less than a 6P when they were new, the 6P just doesn't look that great anymore. But it has been a great light for a long time.
    60 lumens was a big step up. Personally, I'm not sure I have a use for a light much above 100 lumens, at least for residential indoor use.

I don't know what use I'd have for an 800 lumen light. A back up for the stadium lights when the power goes out at the local high school football game? Runway landing lights?

Not what I would call seriously beat up or worn, but starting to show some wear after 8-9 months of carry/ownership

Last edited by NPV; 04-12-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    60 lumens was a big step up. Personally, I'm not sure I have a use for a light much above 100 lumens, at least for residential indoor use.

I don't know what use I'd have for an 800 lumen light. A back up for the stadium lights when the power goes out at the local high school football game? Runway landing lights?
    Yep .... 60 lumens was almost rocket science when that technology was introduced. These days, the light on my key-chain is better than the light I used to conduct traffic stops, clear buildings or do woodland manhunts with back in the day .... with a 6-shot revolver, no less.

I don't know how in the world I survived with such paltry gear ....... ;^)

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List