Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Let's see those beat up carry guns!

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    Does it feed HPs reliably? I remember reading that was the issue with those surpluses P6’s.
    It does not.
    There's a Smith who supposedly has a way to recontour the feed ramp so that it will.
    It fed the Critical Defense rounds, and some old pow'r ball well.
    It does shoot tho, very accurate across all the 9mm weights.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Name:  IMG_20220413_112319.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  42.2 KB

Not my EDC anymore but I carry it on my days off and in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    It does not.
    There's a Smith who supposedly has a way to recontour the feed ramp so that it will.
    Yeah, that’s what I recall reading back in the day. Too bad…. As time has passed and my priorities have adjusted, I’ve often wondered if the P225 wouldn’t be the just the ticket for someone wanting a single-stack TDA for concealed carry. They are discontinued, and pricier than ever now. Even those P6’s are going for six bills on GB. Glad to hear you’re shoots well.

Yeah, that’s what I recall reading back in the day. Too bad…. As time has passed and my priorities have adjusted, I’ve often wondered if the P225 wouldn’t be the just the ticket for someone wanting a single-stack TDA for concealed carry. They are discontinued, and pricier than ever now. Even those P6’s are going for six bills on GB. Glad to hear you’re shoots well.
    There's always the P225a1 they released a few years ago....but have now discontinued. I'm sure with a bit of searching I could find the company that does the re-profiling of the feed ramp, or a 225 barrel to drop in. For now, a fun range gun.

Here’s one I’ve carried off and on for many years. Early Kimber Classic. Hated the cheap and rust-attracting phosphate finish so I had it painted, back when that was kind of a new thing. Heine Straight-8s have been replaced twice and are dark again. Might replace the front with a FO sight. Short trigger, thin, cheap rubber grips. Runs great.

Name:  E003DF61-E311-49B4-8D1F-F29EF0FDCBDB.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  5776A6EB-9A63-4711-A4E2-171F810D9943.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  47.3 KB

Does it feed HPs reliably? I remember reading that was the issue with those surpluses P6’s.
    It does not.
    When the P6 became police pistol in Germany (late 70s), hollow point bullets were forbidden here. They were forbidden for a long time (at least until the 90s, maybe early 2000s). Meanwhile they are allowed. The P6 was the most frequent police pistol here in the 90s. The biggest user was the police of North Rhine-Westphalia ("Nordrhein-Westfalen"). CSW's is one of them, I see it by the "NW" mark.

PS:
    An old school friend of mine is police officer in NW. At a class reunion a few years ago, I talked with him about guns. Now they are issued the Walther P99 DAO. He said, he liked the P6 more.
    Last edited by P30; 04-16-2022 at 04:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    I've never carried this one, so technically, it's not my carry gun, but it surely has wear.
    1982 Sig P6 that I had purchased some time ago,and given to my father. I forgot about it until he gave it back to me.

When I got it back, it got new springs and new sights, and shot to make sure everything functioned.
    It does not.
    I've got one of those with an 11/78 build date on it. I sent it to SIG in NH for their rebuild deal - new pins, springs, and sights for $125, IIRC - and also had the slide refinished, as it really needed it. I put ~150 rounds of 124-grain +P HST through it without a problem. I was going to use it as a carry gun but couldn't get used to the placement of the decocker and slide stop. One of the things that might've helped in feeding the HST was replacing the issued magazine springs with Wolff's extra-power ones.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I've got one of those with an 11/78 build date on it. I sent it to SIG in NH for their rebuild deal - new pins, springs, and sights for $125, IIRC - and also had the slide refinished, as it really needed it. I put ~150 rounds of 124-grain +P HST through it without a problem. I was going to use it as a carry gun but couldn't get used to the placement of the decocker and slide stop. One of the things that might've helped in feeding the HST was replacing the issued magazine springs with Wolff's extra-power ones.
    When I got it back from my father after um-teen years of him having it, I replaced every pin and spring in the handgun, and every mag spring....Thinking that very thought.
    Sadly they get hung at the bottom of the ramp, unless it's a defensive round like Pow'r ball, or the Critical Defense with it's conical shape.

I too have issue with the slide stop and de-cocker positions, then add being lefty, and well, it's a bit of a train wreck.

My old 19-3 served as my duty weapon for 8-9 years (79-87). Saw it's share of both fresh and salt water spray. Surprised it looks as well as it does. I replaced it with a 4506-1

Early on (81 or 82), I fitted it with the original version of the Nite-Sights from an ad found in Shotgun News. You had to drill a hole thru your front sight and epoxy a small cylinder of with isotope enclosed. Rear sight came with bar milled in directly under the notch and you had a bar/dot Nite-Site setup which I prefer over later three dot styles. You were supplied a piece of cloth and you were asked to wipe the area around your sight installation and mail it back to them to confirm you had no leakage of the tritium. Night sights and speed loaders and you had cutting edge revolver set up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dmiculek View Post
    Early on (81 or 82), I fitted it with the original version of the Nite-Sights from an ad found in Shotgun News. You had to drill a hole thru your front sight and epoxy a small cylinder of with isotope enclosed. Rear sight came with bar milled in directly under the notch and you had a bar/dot Nite-Site setup which I prefer over later three dot styles. You were supplied a piece of cloth and you were asked to wipe the area around your sight installation and mail it back to them to confirm you had no leakage of the tritium. Night sights and speed loaders and you had cutting edge revolver set up.
    The past truely is another country where the do things very differently.

User Tag List