Thread: J-frame Hammer Compatibility

Site Supporter

J-frame Hammer Compatibility

I recently acquired a Model 36 (manufactured sometime in the early to mid 1970s, if that matters) and would like a bobbed hammer for it. I'd rather buy a second hammer and bob it, and keep the original, in case some day I wish to restore the snub to its original configuration. However, I'm finding it a bit difficult to find a spare hammer that is actually called a "Model 36 Hammer."

So can anyone tell me whether all external j frame hammers are the same (e.g., will a Model 60 hammer fit a Model 36?) or do I need to make sure I get an actual Model 36 hammer? And in any case, is this a more or less drop in part, or would I need an expert in hand fitting S&W j frames to do it right?

I did the same thing to an old Model 36 several years ago. If I remember right, there were variations on the hammer design over the years, so you need to make sure you get one that covers the year of your gun. I think I bought mine off Gunbroker. It dropped in.

Check Numrich. I was just looking for a hammer for a Colt Pocket Positive (planning on the same thing).

User Tag List