Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA POST courses of fire (some new)

Our secondary course is exactly the same as our primary....I don't see the problem.

Theoretically, if there's a standard for employing a handgun then there is a standard for employing a handgun, and any use of a handgun should be judged against that standard. Gunfights don't become easier just because you choose to carry a less capable pistol, so the qual shouldn't either.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-16-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Our secondary course is exactly the same as our primary....I don't see the problem.

Theoretically, if there's a standard for employing a handgun then there is a standard for employing a handgun, and any use of a handgun should be judged against that standard. Gunfights don't become easier just because you choose to carry a less capable pistol, so the qual shouldn't either.
    Same for us - there is only one handgun qualification. The caveat for dinosaurs like me who still have 5-shot revolvers on their personal weapons letters is we only shoot 5 shots per string, instead of six, in the interest of not having to constantly hold the line for wheelie reloads during our qualification. The qual includes one timed reload, the others are "off the clock" so you've gotta know how to run a speedloader to make it. We shoot 3 to 25 yards. Scoring is the same as "standard" handguns - 250 max possible (instead of 300), have to shoot 80% (200 points) to qualify.

I will say I am VERY glad we reduced the amount of support hand only shooting we do for the qual - I've got a fairly gimped up left hand and SEVERELY gimped up left wrist, and 158 gr +P LHP support hand only in a 642 is NOT fun...

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

I've been qualifying with a Shield 9 on the regular pistol course. Running a 5-shooter would be doable, but it would require alternate loading as the course is built to be 6-shot neutral.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List