Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird looking S&W Model 19 3"

Weird looking S&W Model 19 3"

This is....funny looking. Not quite Steve Buscemi funny looking but close.

Is this a rebarrel or parts gun? I know the cylinder release isn't from 1970.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955334041

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    This is....funny looking. Not quite Steve Buscemi funny looking but close.

Is this a rebarrel or parts gun? I know the cylinder release isn't from 1970.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/955334041
    How does one bugger up a cylinder release?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

That looks like it is a 1970s gun sent back to the factory and they simply put a more modern barrel on it from the "Classic" series.

There is a gent I converse with online that has a 29-2 44 magnum from the early 1970s that has a 5" full underlug that had a similar treatment.

I believe that is simply the case here.

Odds are someone had a 4" or 6" gun and they wanted a custom 3" and the cheapest, most practical route was getting it done at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I know the cylinder release isn't from 1970.
    That was the first thing I thought.

I bet you're right, that is a newer barrel and release. The gold bead front sight and trigger stop also indicate a custom piece.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That looks like it is a 1970s gun sent back to the factory and they simply put a more modern barrel on it from the "Classic" series.

Odds are someone had a 4" or 6" gun and they wanted a custom 3" and the cheapest, most practical route was getting it done at the factory.
    That's a nice shooter grade M-19 that has been re-barreled with a newer style cylinder release. It also has a trigger stop. Looks like somebody did a nice job rebuilding this.

I like it.

Looks like a 586 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I like it.

Looks like a 586 barrel
    It certainly does but it's pinned. Did they pin early 586s? Are non-pinned barrels pinnable?

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    That's a nice shooter grade M-19 that has been re-barreled with a newer style cylinder release. It also has a trigger stop. Looks like somebody did a nice job rebuilding this.
    ^^^This.

New barrel with the gold bead sight, aftermarket grips (I have the exact same grips in a drawer or box somewhere) and the updated latch—which takes all of 3 minutes to do.

But, hey, a 3” heavy barrel 19 with adult sights fits right in with the “S&W missed op” thread. I’d bang it.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I think it is a nice-looking revolver.

The marred screws on the rear sight and side plate probably weren't done back at Smith or by a gunsmith. To band there is no way to check timing and alignment online.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    It certainly does but it's pinned. Did they pin early 586s? Are non-pinned barrels pinnable?

Yes,

The Model 29 that I was referring to previously that had a "Classic" series full underlug 5" barrel installed on a 29-2 frame was pinned. The Classic series did not come pinned. This was done at the factory when the new full underlug barrel was installed.

User Tag List