Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot loosen set screws on BCM gas block

Buddy had to drill his out. Bcm told him they douse in red loc tite, it took him awhile

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The amount of material engaged with a good extractor allows them to be rather successful. The manner in which they apply force to the fastener also helps. I'd bet the price of a gas block on them working.
    Yeah, I think you're right. That there's a socket in the top of the set screw is really gonna help, most of the time I've used easy outs is removing M5 bolts that have had the heads snapped off!
    Last edited by hiro; 02-13-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added quote to clarify

My understand is that BCM uses these:

Alloy Steel Knurl-Grip Cup Point Set Screw, 10-32 Thread, 3/16" Long; which is McMaster-Carr part number 90289A337

From their website: "Made from alloy steel, these set screws dig into hard surfaces for a secure hold. They have serrations on the cup edge that grip the material surface to resist loosening."

The little boogers have no-fooling teeth on the bottom to dig into the dimple in the barrel.

I have successfully used this to dissolve red Loctite: Bob Smith Industries Un-Cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Ind...T81Y2285S3WVF0

It's designed to dissolved super glue (CA) bonds.

Hope that helps.

No luck so far. I'm doing this in order to install an adjustable gas block to correct issues whilst shooting suppressed. I've already ran the gamut of different buffer weights, but a friend recommend changing out the extractor and/or bolt and seeing if that corrects the problem. I tried the factory size (3/32) and then a 2.5mm, both stripped or got smoothed by the screw.
    #RESIST

LL,
    You need the Marvel, BCM Buster hex key set made from Vibranium. A good tap with Thor's hammer will help as well.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    My understand is that BCM uses these:

Alloy Steel Knurl-Grip Cup Point Set Screw, 10-32 Thread, 3/16" Long; which is McMaster-Carr part number 90289A337

From their website: "Made from alloy steel, these set screws dig into hard surfaces for a secure hold. They have serrations on the cup edge that grip the material surface to resist loosening."

The little boogers have no-fooling teeth on the bottom to dig into the dimple in the barrel.

I have successfully used this to dissolve red Loctite: Bob Smith Industries Un-Cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Ind...T81Y2285S3WVF0

It's designed to dissolved super glue (CA) bonds.

Hope that helps.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#90289a337/=16coi4k
    #RESIST

Yup, that's them. Let me know if you want me to send you some for replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yup, that's them. Let me know if you want me to send you some for replacements.
    Thank you, my friend. No luck so far, pursuing the "hopefully I don't have to replace them" route
    #RESIST

Had the same issue. Ended up giving my upper to a local smith who cut the gas block off.

If it's glued with Rocksett, you need to soak it in boiling water
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List