Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cannot loosen set screws on BCM gas block

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Buddy had to drill his out. Bcm told him they douse in red loc tite, it took him awhile
    I'm the buddy. Can confirm. I left a jetboil stove under the gasblock til that dude was stupid hot and after breaking a couple nice allen wrenches I was able to get one out. Gave up on the last one. Took it to a smith and he was able to drill out the screw and save the gas block. After that experience if I ever want to make changes to my uppers that require gas block removal, I might use it as an excuse to buy a new upper. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have successfully used this to dissolve red Loctite: Bob Smith Industries Un-Cure.

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Smith-Ind...T81Y2285S3WVF0

It's designed to dissolved super glue (CA) bonds.

Hope that helps.
    If it dissolves Super Glue, it's nothing more than acetone.

Get a hex Apex bit set and an Apex driver, which is is a screw driver that uses Apex bits. Clamp the gas block in a vise. Tap the Apex bit into the socket with a hammer. to help set the bit and loosen up the threads. You can hold the bit with a pair of Vise Grips if you don't want to whack on your bit driver. Put a quarter inch combo wrench over the bit. Lean hard on the bit driver while applying torque with the combo wrench. Start off slow. If it rounds off the socket of the screws, it's time for the EZ Out
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-27-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

LL, how's this one going?

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    LL, how's this one going?
    On the back burner due to home improvements
    #RESIST

A noble cause!

I was having difficulty getting a small set screw with a stripped head out of the TTI rear sight. The only thing that finally worked for me was to pound a small flat head screw driver into the head of the set screw. Then I was able to twist it out. Of course it ruined the set screw, but I had a replacement screw ready.

Side question for this thread, but still relevant I think:

Any tips out there for correctly aligning the gas block once it's time to reinstall?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last night, the UnCure and heat didn't cut it, but I cut it Didn't harm the barrel either.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by tsalagi88 View Post
    Side question for this thread, but still relevant I think:

Any tips out there for correctly aligning the gas block once it's time to reinstall?
    Really check the gas key and gas tube alignment and feel.
    #RESIST

You can try these. I know some people that use them.
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod68371.aspx

As for switching to an adjustable gas block, just did that on my .260 and had the same issue with one of the two set screws. But fortunately I have a mill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shane45; 05-25-2017 at 08:43 AM.

User Tag List