Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Slide Cuts - Question

Site Supporter
    For me more ammo or training classes is the answer as well, the barrel thing is more if you feel you have to spend money upgrading the pistol, which I have done as well to a couple of my Glocks.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Mntneer357 View Post

I have been seeing what seems like a lot of "boutique shops" chopping up the slides of Glocks. On the side, on top, pretty much everywhere they could think to remove metal, someone has. My question is does this serve some legitimate, functional purpose...
    Looking cool as one misses a 5yd target is a legitimate purpose these days.

A relevant note: Wilson Combat recently returned my M9A1. As it's my practice gun it is a pistol the local range staff have seen me shoot all the time. Not much in the way of comment besides the usual tropes of slide cracks and "the safety will getcha kilt".

After taking it back to that range yesterday ,suddenly that same pistol is an artifact equal to the Ark of the Covenant in reverence. After showing the groups I did the guys all said "Wilson Combats are accurate!" True enough-but the custom work I ordered had nothing to do with the barrel or slide geometry. A fiber optic front post is great- but that isn't why I can shoot it well.

Sad reality of it is the guy who diligently shoots a stock Glock 17 for years and improves won't get the recognition his range buddy shooting manhole cover groups with a Salient does. Human nature is wonky like that.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I have to be honest,

When I see a guy sporting a Glock/M&P whatever, that has holes all over it, gold barrel etc, I have the opposite reaction that many have.

I don't think "Wow that is cool!"

My thoughts usually runs towards "Mouth breather/Tool", and look to see if he his wearing a flat brimmed hat, and driving a "Bro" truck.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I like front cocking serrations, but not much else.

Regardless of my personal preference, it is essential to spend mucho dinero on rocking your glock, otherwise you won't be able to properly defend yourself.
    Indeed. It's entertaining to hear my friend attempt to justify it. In the end I just tell him "Man, just admit that you do it because you think it looks cool and stop trying to act like it made the gun run better".

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have to be honest,

When I see a guy sporting a Glock/M&P whatever, that has holes all over it, gold barrel etc, I have the opposite reaction that many have.

My thoughts usually runs towards "Mouth breather/Tool", and look to see if he his wearing a flat brimmed hat, and driving a "Bro" truck.
    In my experience, 'round these parts, the person is usually wearing a flannel shirt, kuhl pants, saloman shoes, and sports an "operator beard". He's also worships Chris Costa/Travis Haley/Steve Fisher.

Quote Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post
    In my experience, 'round these parts, the person is usually wearing a flannel shirt, kuhl pants, saloman shoes, and sports an "operator beard". He's also worships Chris Costa/Travis Haley/Steve Fisher.
    Uhhhhh I have kuhl pants and flannel......but no slide cuts......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I have to be honest,

Quote Originally Posted by jondoe297 View Post

Isn't it heartwarming when two disparate groups find common ground?

(Says the guy that waited from 1988 until 2017 to put night sights on his Glocks. )
    Last edited by blues; 02-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I have seen enough people get their hand in front of a muzzle that I dislike forward slide serrations. I would never spend money to encourage a student to potentially make that mistake with my gun.

The only reason to consider cutting a slide in my opinion is to use a sight system that you absolutely cannot use with the standard sight cuts. In the case of a Glock, that would likely be limited to a red dot sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I got a slide with front side serrations and top "dragon scale" serrations done.

I intended on using an RMR on this slide and needed extra grip space in case I could not get to the rear of the gun in a pinch grip.

If I was not using an RMR I would not get serrations.
    Why would you not just rack it off the RMR?

I'm in the "fools and money" crowd. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with embellishments to increase pride of ownership or commemoration (engraving comes to mind) I draw the line if changes can induce operational difficulties.

Personally, I think that the money is far better spent on practice, training, ammunition.

I've never felt the need for forward cocking serrations on any of my guns; on those that have them as an OEM feature (like my HKs) they're pretty much an ignored feature.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-13-2017 at 12:30 PM.

User Tag List