Thread: Phlster Skeleton holster

Phlster Skeleton holster

https://www.phlster.com/product-page...n-c-coursework

A friend sent me this holster to try out, and I actually missed it in the bottom of a bag full of goodies. It's quite small and unobtrusive.

Definitely not my usual type of rig, and I kinda assumed I wouldn't like it. Tried it on and was pretty impressed with it.

I don't think it is really appropriate for duty type use, but that may be my bias. If it proves out in training, I will revise my opinion. It seems to excel as a quickie holster for a G26, maybe up to a G19. I have always (even as of yesterday, I think) said that I prefer bigger guns for their ease of drawing. Well, I've been drawing for about 8 hours today, with several different holsters that have recently arrived. I have modified my draw technique and "seem" to be able to draw the 26 just as well as the 17 now. Only the range will tell for sure, but things are looking good. If that's the case, then I may have more use for my 26 than I have before.

If I'm just running out to the chicken coop, I will drop a J frame in my waist, put on a tanker rig with an frame or 1911, or get fully dressed and use my G17/TLR-2. The 26 may be replacing many of those, range performance dependent, and this little Phlster holster is pretty slick for that application.

Since it only has one loop, I can't really consider it a daily carry option, but if light concealment is ok, and you have a fairly small light gun, this holster is pretty slick. Kind of like a trigger guard holster that you can actually safely holster up with. It will be travelling with me on my g19 as a spare holster when I go out of town.

Fact the front sight is left open and vulnerable is a no go for daily use.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Fact the front sight is left open and vulnerable is a no go for daily use.
    I think I said it was not really appropriate for primary carry. I don't personally care about the front sight issue so much, as the overall construction. It's pretty neat, but does not appear to be super solid. Nonetheless, I like it for the reasons I laid out. I totally understand if others prefer something else, and if your gun is mid sized or larger, it is probably too big for this holster.

I tried one of these when I had a 19 &17 and no gadget. I preferred the raven vg2 advanced because I liked the claw that helped tuck the grip. I liked the trigger guard type holsters better for the type of carry you would use these for.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I really like the idea of a reholsterable RVG.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

SLG, I know it's not a minimalist holster but have you ever tried the G26 with a JMCK "George"? I'm a big fan of the 26 and the G19 sized "George" is nearly ideal from a comfort, concealment and draw perspective imho.

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 799
Size:  35.4 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've been carrying a G23 in one daily for over a year. It may not be the most refined holster but it's very comfortable, especially seated in a vehicle for hours on surveillence. It's minimalistic like a Raven VG2 but allows for the option to reholster without removing. (very carefully)
    I even turned a teammate onto one because I cringed everytime he rolled out with his G27 tucked in his waistband without a holster.
    Like SLG says, not the best option but I think they are well designed and a solid option.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I tried one of these when I had a 19 &17 and no gadget. I preferred the raven vg2 advanced because I liked the claw that helped tuck the grip. I liked the trigger guard type holsters better for the type of carry you would use these for.
    I've been carrying a 19 with a skeleton for over a year now. I don't use it as a primary rig for training because of the heat from an exposed muzzle, but for daily carry it rocks. The newest versions accept the raven claw, and the older versions can work with the claw if you modify it. I even carried a 34 without issue for a couple weeks when I didn't have the 19 around. It's comfortable, good draw, very concealable. Basically a vanguard 2 that you can safely re-holster in.

John's Skeleton design is excellent for what it is supposed to be: the most bare bones holster possible that is still a fully functional holster.

It's not a great training rig due to muzzle heat, but it is a great option for the roles a VG fills with a bit more added function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care too much for the single loop either, especially on my "bigger" guns (g19/26). I have his Access model for my 19 and a classic model that would be pretty good if not for the single loop. The pistol just shifts around too much for me (AIWB). But the one I have for my G43 works the best for me out of all of them. I think the size of the pistol and how I have the loop adjusted puts right in the sweet spot. Can't find it with the other combos...

User Tag List