Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain to File for Bankruptcy

Gander Mountain to File for Bankruptcy

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN15P2N5

"U.S. hunting and fishing chain Gander Mountain Co is preparing to file for bankruptcy as early as this month, after an aggressive effort to expand its store base failed to pull in new customers, according to people familiar with the matter.

Gander Mountain is working with financial advisory firm Lighthouse Management Group Inc and law firm Fredrikson & Byron PA as it gets ready to file for bankruptcy, the people said this week."
    Last edited by RJ; 02-11-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Can't say that I'm surprised. I guess people can buy their $699 Glock 22's elsewhere now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Can't say that I'm surprised. I guess people can buy their $699 Glock 22's elsewhere now.

Sure, right next door at Bass Pro.

Meanwhile, Academy has $499 Glocks flowing out the door and the store is always packed.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Sure, right next door at Bass Pro.

Meanwhile, Academy has $499 Glocks flowing out the door and the store is always packed.
    I wish we had Academy in NOVA.

Yeah, forgot to add this to my post, but I can believe this as well. I was last at a Gander Mountain in 2014.

$25 boxes of 20 count JHP, MSRP pistols, and imported Chinese gun safes.

Meh.
    Last edited by RJ; 02-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.

It's no great loss.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Doesn't surprise me.

I went to the store in Lewisville a couple times and pretty much got treated like I was a nuisance to the store's employees. It's really hard to be in the retail business if your employees put an effort into driving away customers.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post

I went to the gun shop part of our new shooting range yesterday (nice facility, nice people, not a bad range) and they were selling a Sig Sauer P229 9mm for $1,099.99. Nothing insane, not a Legion model, not even an Extreme, just a nicely appointed E2 model for $1,099.99. Not a bad range, but good lord, people can google things in half a second now, when there's not even a casual effort to price competitively it comes across like an insult.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I was always underwhelmed with their selection and overwhelmed by their MSRP + pricing strategy on all manner of clothes and gear.

Site Supporter
    Not to sound callous, but this doesn't surprise me nor does it seem like a great loss. The last time I was in a Gander Mountain the place looked like a Kmart pre going out of business sale.

Locally, Cabela's and Academy have put the screws to GM. Not the greatest location and 10% over MSRP does not a sustainable business make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List