Thread: Sig P226 barrel replacement

Site Supporter

Sig P226 barrel replacement

I know the recommended interval is key-holing or unacceptable accuracy. I have a surplus 226 where I can get slight movement when pushing down on the barrel hood in battery, and a new recoil spring hasn't done anything for it. I can also get a 'clicking' noise when pushing back slightly in the slide when in battery, which I think is the barrel starting to unlock since the slide moves. It certainly doesn't feel like a bank vault when running the slide, in comparison to my low mileage primary.

The group on this one is about twice my other one. My primary 226s barrel hood is rock solid and no noise/slide movement when doing the same thing. The locking block insert and breech face on both guns are rock solid, same with take down levers.

First thought is a new barrel is needed - any other recommendations on replacement parts when a new barrel is put in, or other places to look to fix the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose you could swap barrels from your primary and secondary as a diagnostic test. If the locking and accuracy issues follow the questionable barrel, then you have an answer.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    They follow from what I can tell (haven't live fired with swapped barrels yet), but the low mileage barrel in the high mileage pistol still exhibits the problem, and makes me wonder if the locking block is worn as well and needs an oversized barrel fitted to fix it.
    New locking block and barrel is a bit more than a barsto barrel, but not 100% solid on if that's my issue.
    Low mileage pistol with high mileage barrel exhibits same problems as documented above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're on the right track. I suppose you could take it a step further- good slide assembly (including barrel) on questionable power- if the problem persists, then locking block and takedown lever are all that's left. If problem goes away with known good upper, then maybe the FPBP (holds breech face in) could be problematic.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Sounds like you're on the right track. I suppose you could take it a step further- good slide assembly (including barrel) on questionable power- if the problem persists, then locking block and takedown lever are all that's left. If problem goes away with known good upper, then maybe the FPBP (holds breech face in) could be problematic.
    If the gun has an unknown round count repaying thr FPBP is a good idea regardless.

Replace the locking block and takedown lever and try it with your "good" barrel. If no joy a fitted Bar sto would be the next step.

Site Supporter

Sig P226 barrel replacement

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Known good won't fit on possible bad - stops an inch or so along the way, as the frame rails are taller on the surplus frame than the primary. But, surplus fits on primary, and the barrel doesn't have any vertical play in it, still a tidbit of 'click clack', but I suspect that's dealing with the barrel hood/slide 'window' interface more than anything.

So, seems like the vertical dimensions are the error, and with good barrel/'bad locking insert' there's play, but 'bad barrel'/good locking insert there isn't.

I'll swap locking inserts and barrels soon and see if that mitigates the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 02-11-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    Finally got around to diagnosing further. Swapped locking insert and barrels - no more slop in the surplus. Put the surplus barrel in the slide (surplus barrel/known good locking insert) - no more slop. Swapped the surplus insert in - slop. I'll snag a new insert in a couple months - I have spare takedowns already.

Thanks for the mental walkthrough on this. Putting this up since so many people never post what resolved their issue, and it doens't help other people.

Another vote for having duplicates - makes trouble shooting so much easier.
    Last edited by jeep45238; 02-17-2017 at 11:46 PM.

User Tag List