Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dive into the Sig Sauer P228

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post

I caved. Drinking copious amounts the final night of bidding didn't help things. I figured it would be a longgg shot to come across another NIB W. German P228 for a semi-reasonable price. So I jumped on it.
    That is aweeesome. I'm glad a PFer got it, and I'm glad it'll get to live life as an actual shooter's gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    All classic German Sigs give me the warm fuzzies! But I'll always have a special affinity for the 228. I was issued one for the academy that had 30K down the pipe. I carried it for the next 8 years on the job before eventually moving to a 226. The thing was a rattle trap but could still shoot sub 3" at 25 when it was "retired" nearing 80K. It took me quite a bit of work before I could shoot the full sized pistol as as well as that compact. I miss that ol' girl. [emoji177]
    You're not helping either. I've been bouncing around with the idea of trying to trade one of my 226s for a 228, and PF is amongst the worst when it comes to information/experience. As in 'give a crack addict a rock' bad.

This makes me cry....ok, not really, but it's pretty sad the best feeling trigger I've felt on a 228 belongs to this training pistol.
    The barrel has been drilled and plugged. Also, the breach face is now solid.
    Hate to see any old workhorse modified like this but it does make for a more realistic feel over the plastic red/blue gun. This one is now my dedicated dry fire gun. Plan on using it for some CQC type training next week.

Attachment 14218

Attachment 14219

Attachment 14221

Attachment 14222

Doesn't it violate some criminal statute to do that to a 228?

Picked up my P228 today. Thing is pristine! The owner had all the original receipts, the original test target and the manual. The second magazine was still wrapped in plastic

I got it home, stripped it down and wiped off all the preservative oil, installed the SRT kit and Trijicon HDs. Also swapped in a new recoil spring and an updated trigger return spring and Hogue Extreme G10 grips. Hoping to make it to the range for a few hours tomorrow. I have a Grey Guns PSAIT trigger on order and I'll be ordering a Wolff 18# spring. This thing has to have at least a 12-13# pull as-is.

On top of it being absolutely 100% mint, it's a 1991 model, which happens to be my birth year. I have a JM AIWB on order. I occasionally carry my P229 Legion, but I'm interested to see if the 228 is any less bulky AIWB.

Here's some pics pre-mods. I'll get some pics of the sights and grips tomorrow at the range. Posting from an iPhone so pics will probably end up sideways...they never orient for me correctly even if they're correct in my photo library. Anyways...

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1608.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1603.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  56.9 KB
    Shoot more, post less...

Well, half of the pics posted correctly. Oh well.
    Shoot more, post less...

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Picked up my P228 today. Thing is pristine! The owner had all the original receipts, the original test target and the manual. The second magazine was still wrapped in plastic

I got it home, stripped it down and wiped off all the preservative oil, installed the SRT kit and Trijicon HDs. Also swapped in a new recoil spring and an updated trigger return spring and Hogue Extreme G10 grips. Hoping to make it to the range for a few hours tomorrow. I have a Grey Guns PSAIT trigger on order and I'll be ordering a Wolff 18# spring. This thing has to have at least a 12-13# pull as-is.

On top of it being absolutely 100% mint, it's a 1991 model, which happens to be my birth year. I have a JM AIWB on order. I occasionally carry my P229 Legion, but I'm interested to see if the 228 is any less bulky AIWB.

Here's some pics pre-mods. I'll get some pics of the sights and grips tomorrow at the range. Posting from an iPhone so pics will probably end up sideways...they never orient for me correctly even if they're correct in my photo library. Anyways...

Name:  IMG_1606.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1605.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  31.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1608.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  31.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1603.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  56.9 KB
    What a great find, my envy is insane.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

To the top!

I just picked up a P228 (KD-1993) at a pawn shop. Not a great deal at $450. She ugly, but she mine! Shot it the other day, and was happy with the pistol's performance and mine. It is the first SIG I've fired in over half a decade, and the first SIG I have purchased in over a decade. That's saying something as I had 31 SIGs during my "Peak SIG" days. I'm gonna gut it to the bare frame and slide, clean it, put all new springs in it.

I always wanted a P228TT, but never got one. I know they were nickel guns, but I am kicking around having either Robar NP3 or Cogan hard chrome the slide, trigger, hammer, de-cocker, screws, slide release, and takedown. I may call Klein, who did the old nickel guns for SIG and see if they still do it.
    Whomever I go with, it will be after I have the gun de-horned.

Does anyone make a trigger job kit in the same manner as Langdon's TJIAB, but for SIGs? I know Bruce Gray has some stuff in the works as I have been messaging him this evening. However, I'd like to keep my options open.

Name:  SIG P228.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  48.8 KB

The P228 is a superb gun, and the pre-2006 ones are especially to be sought.

Conversely, another consideration (minus the hipster/vintage cachet) would be a vintage (albeit less vintage) Sigpro 2340 or 2009, or a contemporary 2022; consensus seems to be that they're some of the few post-Cohen era SIGs that haven't suffered quality control or parts quality decreases/decontenting (probably because of their significant LEO contractual commitments for the 2022, and that it's probably just easier to maintain the same quality on the concurrently manufactured destined for the commercial market-(at least that's my supposition).

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Those old Sigs were quite impressive guns.

User Tag List