Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dive into the Sig Sauer P228

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    If anyone's interested, there's a NIB West German P228 on Gunbroker now. 20 something bids and 2-3 days left. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for. Talk about a rare find.
    I just looked at it. Up to $1100. I bet it goes for over $1500. If not more.

Back in December, there were some interesting CPO (red box) P228s on Gunbroker. They were all West German, matching serials, etc. And I guess they had been refurbished to like-new condition. I almost bought one... then the PX4 Compact Carry was announced.

Had a P228 that I did the 2k challenge with and it worked 100%. Traded it in for a new M11-A1 that didn't work worth a shit.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Had a P228 that I did the 2k challenge with and it worked 100%. Traded it in for a new M11-A1 that didn't work worth a shit.
    Junk punch yourself for that

One of these days I'm going to find a German 228 at the time when I have gun money. They always pop up after I bought something else.

Just curious, why choose the P228 over the P229? If nothing else, the P229 seems easier and possibly cheaper to acquire.

I enjoyed my time with classic SIGs. Unfortunately never had the opportunity to shoot the P228.
    Last edited by David S.; 02-11-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    David S.

From what I've read (I'm far from a Sig expert), some people prefer the recoil impulse of the stamped steel slide in 9mm to the newer, one piece P229 slide. Many Sig fans feel the West German Sigs are built to a higher quality than today's Sigs. If you're chasing rollmarks, the West German mark is pretty cool. Slice of history right there. The P228 also doesn't have the rail and is slimmer through the frame for IWB/AIWB carry than the P229R. If you're buying one as a shooter, then get the 229. But if you're buying one to shoot, have a fondness for classic Sigs, I think a West German 228 or 226 would be the ticket.
    Shoot more, post less...

Those are some feelings. The 229 slide is a little over an ounce heavier, but is a better part by a mile.
    The NH Sigs from the past couple of years are the best I've seen.

This is kind of like Glock vs HK striker discussion. I was issued and happily carried a P228 for over a decade, if I could have it back, I'd still carry it. My issued P229 sits in its box in my safe. YMMV, of course...

Site Supporter
    The reason you are hitting low at 20 yards is that the HD sights are zeroed off the dots, not the top edge of the sight. You have to completely cover your POI. This is why I don't use them.

Preferences aside, the 229 is a mechanically superior weapon, and if you intend to shoot the gun much, the 229 will be the better choice.

I loved my 228's and hated my first 229. 60,000 rounds and 1 year later, I changed my mind.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Just curious, why choose the P228 over the P229? If nothing else, the P229 seems easier and possibly cheaper to acquire.

I enjoyed my time with classic SIGs. Unfortunately never had the opportunity to shoot the P228.
    Feels / handles / shoots better for me at speed. P229 feels like a brick in comparison but it is certainly more durable.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-11-2017 at 02:53 PM.

User Tag List