Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Dive into the Sig Sauer P228

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    To the top!

I just picked up a P228 (KD-1993) at a pawn shop. Not a great deal at $450. She ugly, but she mine! Shot it the other day, and was happy with the pistol's performance and mine. It is the first SIG I've fired in over half a decade, and the first SIG I have purchased in over a decade. That's saying something as I had 31 SIGs during my "Peak SIG" days. I'm gonna gut it to the bare frame and slide, clean it, put all new springs in it.

I always wanted a P228TT, but never got one. I know they were nickel guns, but I am kicking around having either Robar NP3 or Cogan hard chrome the slide, trigger, hammer, de-cocker, screws, slide release, and takedown. I may call Klein, who did the old nickel guns for SIG and see if they still do it.
    Whomever I go with, it will be after I have the gun de-horned.

Does anyone make a trigger job kit in the same manner as Langdon's TJIAB, but for SIGs? I know Bruce Gray has some stuff in the works as I have been messaging him this evening. However, I'd like to keep my options open.

Attachment 33965
    Given it has an unknown round count in addition to new springs you may want a new roll pin for the breach block.

Site Supporter
    To the top!

Does anyone make a trigger job kit in the same manner as Langdon's TJIAB, but for SIGs? I know Bruce Gray has some stuff in the works as I have been messaging him this evening. However, I'd like to keep my options open.
    Yes, Gray Guns is now offering this: https://grayguns.com/product/edc-sig...mized-trigger/ . I don’t have any experience with it though. They have previously offered this https://grayguns.com/product/graygun...igger-srt-kit/ which does a phenomenal job of reducing reset, getting rid of creep and reducing the trigger weights.

A DIY option which is slightly cheaper and some say has a better feeling result is getting the SIG SRT kit, Wolff 17-19 lb mainspring (I like 18-19 for reliable primer strikes) and either the short or original trigger of your choice. Then either polish the trigger bar and all metal on metal contact points or shoot a thousand rounds or so until buttery smooth. A well worn SIG trigger is a thing of beauty. I’ve done this twice and don’t see the need for anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Given it has an unknown round count in addition to new springs you may want a new roll pin for the breach block.
    Absolutely.

I havent yet, but I will look around for one of those SIG rebuild packs.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Yes, Gray Guns is now offering this: https://grayguns.com/product/edc-sig...mized-trigger/ . I don’t have any experience with it though. They have previously offered this https://grayguns.com/product/graygun...igger-srt-kit/ which does a phenomenal job of reducing reset, getting rid of creep and reducing the trigger weights.

A DIY option which is slightly cheaper and some say has a better feeling result is getting the SIG SRT kit, Wolff 17-19 lb mainspring (I like 18-19 for reliable primer strikes) and either the short or original trigger of your choice. Then either polish the trigger bar and all metal on metal contact points or shoot a thousand rounds or so until buttery smooth. A well worn SIG trigger is a thing of beauty. I’ve done this twice and don’t see the need for anything else.
    I saw those but I dont want the flat trigger. I think I want the intermediate trigger offering that is somewhere between the factory full and short triggers. I chatted with Bruce last night, and they will release a full-on kit with new everything. If it provides a better trigger pull that a SIG Custom Shop AEP ($180+shipping both ways), I think I'd rather do that. I am also thinking of getting the intermediate trigger and SRT parts, and having the guts and slide NP3'ed by Robar.

Site Supporter
    Absolutely.

FWIW, at one time SIG would do the rebuild and install night sights as a package. I had this done to my P6 back in '12. I don't know if they still offer this.

Absolutely.

I don't think they offer one specific to the 228 (good luck finding an extractor ) but if you just want the breech block inner/outer pins:

Inner pin: 1202658-R OR PIN-2
    Outer pin: PIN-4

Both of these are available at Midwest Gun Works, and I think maybe Top Gun Supply?

Other than that, the rest of the springs you should be able to crib from a P229. I picked up a 228 last year to replace the one I stupidly sold in the mid-2ks, and the first thing I did was give it a complete tear down, replace all the springs including the decocker spring (except the sear and hammer springs, those were nicely broken in), and after detail cleaning the breech block and extractor, replaced the slide pins. I've also stocked up on spare pins, just in case Sig pulls another "We won't support those anymore".

Site Supporter
    I randomly found 2 extractors last week in my office I won’t be needing. Pm me if you want one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw those but I dont want the flat trigger. I think I want the intermediate trigger offering that is somewhere between the factory full and short triggers. I chatted with Bruce last night, and they will release a full-on kit with new everything. If it provides a better trigger pull that a SIG Custom Shop AEP ($180+shipping both ways), I think I'd rather do that. I am also thinking of getting the intermediate trigger and SRT parts, and having the guts and slide NP3'ed by Robar.
    A friend of mine bought the full competition trigger kit from GGI. I thought it was better than my AEP from Sig; The AEP from Sig DA pull reminded me more of a DA revolver (smooth all the way through and then BREAK!) and the GGI reminded me more of a well used DA pull on a Sig. I guess it was more what I was used to.

If GGI is going to sell the full trigger kits again (hammer, sear, safety lever) I plan on buying one and installing it with their P-SAIT trigger. For me, that's an awesome combination.

Site Supporter
    I had a a 226, 220 and a 225 back in the 90s. I liked them all. I sold them off in a quest for speed with my issued 1911. I found that sub one second draw was easier if I stayed committed to one platform; so I sold off everything that wasn’t a 1911 except for a Glock 19 which stayed in the safe. A lunch conversation with John Holschen during an Insights class about Sigs German customer service and durability made it less painful.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The P228 is a superb gun, and the pre-2006 ones are especially to be sought.

Conversely, another consideration (minus the hipster/vintage cachet) would be a vintage (albeit less vintage) Sigpro 2340 or 2009, or a contemporary 2022; consensus seems to be that they're some of the few post-Cohen era SIGs that haven't suffered quality control or parts quality decreases/decontenting (probably because of their significant LEO contractual commitments for the 2022, and that it's probably just easier to maintain the same quality on the concurrently manufactured destined for the commercial market-(at least that's my supposition).

Best, Jon
    I see this posted quite a bit and don’t doubt it. Not considering things like after market parts what are people’s opinions on the 2022? Meaning what are you giving up by picking a 2022 over a 229 or 226? @Sensei I’m especially interested in your opinion of the 2022 series for someone looking for the classic Sig series controls on a carry gun.
    Last edited by sharps54; 01-09-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: My nemesis, spellcheck is thy name

User Tag List