Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More M27 IARs for USMC?

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    we had issues back in 2012 with ours in Afghanistan. Sent the issues up the command, no idea if anyone heard it.
    I'll catch up with you tomorrow offline.

My bro (USMC, Major, Infantry) isn't a big fan of the M27.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    I'll catch up with you tomorrow offline.

My bro (USMC, Major, Infantry) isn't a big fan of the M27.
    Sounds good. They were an answer for a question none of us asked. They also "fixed" issues with the m4 carbine that no one who actually used them in combat saw. Let's just say they had enough issues that most of us got over the whole piston thing

Looks like another step closer to broad M27 issue.

In an interview with Military.com in late December, Commandant Gen. Robert Neller confirmed that a decision had been made to move forward with fielding the M27 more widely within the infantry.

Military.com: M27s and 'Head-to-Toe' Gear Overhaul on the Way for Marine Grunts
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Sounds good. They were an answer for a question none of us asked. They also "fixed" issues with the m4 carbine that no one who actually used them in combat saw. Let's just say they had enough issues that most of us got over the whole piston thing
    Totally agreed. I used to hump the SAW and 240G way too often and was confused as hell when the IAR came into the armories. At this point it is a very thinly veiled effort to get a 416-ish gun as a broad issue in Combat Arms. My only question is why do they keep up the pretenses?
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    My only question is why do they keep up the pretenses?
    I think the pretense is pretty much gone when the Commandant says every Marine infantryman is getting the M27.

Every Marine in an infantry squad, he said, will receive the high-end rifle.

A replacement barrel for the HK costs more than an entire M4, no shit.
    @GS5414
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 01-08-2018 at 05:59 AM.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A replacement barrel for the HK costs more than an entire M4, no shit.
    @GS5414
    I’m all for outfitting our troops with high quality equipment, but that seems....insane....

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

So I'm stationed on an LHD and we just got back from a 2 month pre deployment training evolution. We had MARSOC, SEALS, and the MEU onboard. I talked to a lot of guys about their weapons. I'm also the starboard side 240 gunner on my ship, because I run the 240 like a boss. Merica. (honestly I'm pretty good, I impressed some of the Marines, but they're better at it if we shifted to land based combat for sure. I can hold my own, but they're better than me easily and get more time on the weapon.) Anyway, being the starboard side gunner, I get to talk with a lot of the Marines because they're trying out integrated fighting teams. So on my mount I have a sniper team running the shitty SR25's which they all hate very much. 1 or 2 IAR's and my gun mount.

Talking with the Marines, they like their M27s a lot for a few reasons. They're much more accurate than the M4/M16's, they're lighter than the SAW and they're easier to maintain. They dislike that it can't lay down fire like the M249's, but they appreciate that it runs like Rape Ape and once again is lighter for long marches. I always liked the 249, and when I started my career we took over from a Marine security company. So I have limited experience, in a very non-combat atmosphere with the 249. I'm definitely more of a 240 guy though.

So one of the things I heard them talking about was implementing the M27's in a DMR/squad support role. So it's a hybrid in that regard kinda. I know there's Marines with experience with the rifle on this board who will provide better insight. But they like them for that aspect from what they were saying. I honestly think it would be a better rifle to replace the M16 riflemen, and how they're about to implement it now for a SPR/DMR rifle. The 7.62x51's are not in huge circulation which make much better DMR's, but the Marines get that heavy M14 variant anyway. So I see the M27's helping them in that regard. IT's definitely heavier than the M16's and definitely the M4's. I also out of the 1800 Marines we have on board saw 3 SAWS. A shit load of 240s, which I obviously support and would prefer over a 249.

So ultimately I think they like the M27's, well, they told me they do for the most part. I don't know if it is a perfect replacement for the SAW which people will still debate, but like it or not, it is the employed replacement. Very few SAWS out in the wild anymore, at least out of the sample size of our MEU. I think they would be better served as the DMR/SPR and in general would be an excellent rifle in the Marine's hands. They're amazing riflemen, and honestly I think the best we have to offer out of the whole military. I'm pretty good with the M4/M16 and shoot Navy expert with it every time, but I would get owned by a Marine and their course is much more difficult than ours. Though.....they get optics. I'm just happy the Marines are getting updated rifles and not only that, but some of the best rifles in the game. They're not the super cool SEAL 10.4 416's, but I think it's a step in the right direction.

Also they're still giving out M16's like it's cool. So does our ship. I hate that when the "watch" M4's run out, they give my MA's M16's. With zero attachments and a cool rail....with nothing on it. Best rifles we got were at an Air Force command believe it or not. You think the Marines get shit on with gear, check out the shit they issue to Navy MA's.

Here's some pics from last underway no one asked me for so you know I'm not talking shit. Also I didn't get any pics of the M27's yet.

Name:  SR25 1.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  39.4 KBName:  SR25 3.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  50.0 KBName:  SR25 4.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  34.2 KBName:  171103-N-NJ910-0110.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  50.0 KBName:  171108-N-AH771-0044_1.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  29.6 KBName:  171108-N-AH771-0009.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  37.4 KB
    Last edited by navyman8903; 01-08-2018 at 09:17 AM.

we had issues back in 2012 with ours in Afghanistan. Sent the issues up the command, no idea if anyone heard it.
    The guys I've seen on the ship are running mixtures of P mags and GI mags. I didn't hear or ask about the mag drop issues. When we get back after POM I'll ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    So one of the things I heard them talking about was implementing the M27's in a DMR/squad support role. So it's a hybrid in that regard kinda. I know there's Marines with experience with the rifle on this board who will provide better insight. But they like them for that aspect from what they were saying. I honestly think it would be a better rifle to replace the M16 riflemen, and how they're about to implement it now for a SPR/DMR rifle.
    USMC is pairing the M27 with a Leupold TS-30A2 Mark 4 MR/T 2.5-8x36mm in the DMR role (interestingly they have designated this rifle the M38). Apparently the M27 designation came about because 3/8 Marines were the first to field it (just as 2/7 fielded the M27), though I don't understand why mounting a different optic on a rifle results in a different type designation, and I've concluded how the USMC type designates weapons is weird (see M45 and M007). Reportedly, the Leupolds are former SAM-R optics that were available.

Soldier Systems: USMC Fields M38 Squad Designated Marksman Rifle

So apparently the M27 will fill the infantry rifle, automatic rifle, and designated marksman rifle roles in the USMC. I suppose the optic will really be the only thing that distinguishes which role the M27 is actually filling at a particular time, at least until everyone gets a variable optic (the USMC is seeking a 1-8X variable for the Squad Common Optic).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List