Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: More M27 IARs for USMC?

The Marine Raiders don't want the HK M27.

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...want-any-m27s/

The Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command is taking a pass on the M27 after reviewing the new automatic rifle during its initial development. Simply put, the elite Marines were not impressed with the rifle’s ability plug any existing gaps in fire power and they found the weapon’s 16-inch barrel too long.
    #RESIST

I suppose the M27 doesn't quite seem like the same leap forward from a M4A1 when you've got SOPMOD Block 2/3 and CQBR uppers.

I've no issue with wider adoption of the M27 or M38 (still don't understand why a different optic bestows a whole different type designation, but whatever), yet when the USMC talks about the advantages of the HK product as a service rifle, they tend to focus on the accuracy improvement over the M4A1 and M16A4. Personally I think they could realize similar advantages at a lower price by simply adopting a free-float upper (such as the DD RIS II on the SOPMOD rifles).

For whatever reason, simple M4 upgrade programs never seem to catch up with either the Army or USMC, and we keep buying M4s with a KAC RAS like its still 1997.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I imagine MARSOC looked at the M27 versus the Mk 46/48 and whatever else is in coming down the skunk works of SOCOM and was pretty meh about the IAR.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post

For whatever reason, simple M4 upgrade programs never seem to catch up with either the Army or USMC, and we keep buying M4s with a KAC RAS like its still 1997.
    I remember when it was a big deal that Recon, snipers, and a few others got clamp-on extensions... oh joy. I think the USMC is pretty dead set on getting the HK in all hands, when I was still in we would had reserve units that would roll into a CAX with M27s almost as soon as they were pushed out. Say a lot for the reserves to get new toys immediately. I agree with you, I think a program like Block II would probably be more efficient.

Last edited by PNWTO; 02-24-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Deleted: repetitive
    Last edited by Hambo; 02-25-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The M27 could be shit for all I know but the technical misinformation in some of these articles is taxing.
    Last edited by Leroy; 02-25-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    #RESIST

User Tag List