Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More M27 IARs for USMC?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    merged threads.
    Mods here are shit.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Moshjath View Post
    I'll say more or less the same thing here that I said on the SSD post.

I love how the USMC is doing this, while the Army can't be bothered to actually execute the M4A1+ upgrade. The endstate the USMC seems to be striving for with pure-fleeting the M27 (more accurate weapon system for 03 series riflemen) is pretty much the same goal the Army was trying to achieve with the M4A1+ program. Seems to me that a joint upgrade program between the Army and Marines would be a better usage of taxpayer dollars, especially since it would be an accessory upgrade of a weapon system already fielded rather than a large scale purchase of the IAR. But, I'm not in acquisitions, so what do I know.

In any case, good on the Marines for continuing to push the envelope.
    I find the many abortive attempts to improve the M4 frustrating. Why we continue to buy uppers equipped with the legacy KAC RAS when free float solutions are widely available is beyond me. Probably the same reason why the Army is still buying standard M9s when the M9A3 has been offered at the same price...

I wonder how many SOPMOD Block II M4A1 uppers with the DD RIS II you could buy instead of 11,000 M27 IARs...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I find the many abortive attempts to improve the M4 frustrating. Why we continue to buy uppers equipped with the legacy KAC RAS when free float solutions are widely available is beyond me. Probably the same reason why the Army is still buying standard M9s when the M9A3 has been offered at the same price...

I wonder how many SOPMOD Block II M4A1 uppers with the DD RIS II you could buy instead of 11,000 M27 IARs...
    No kidding. While I am personally excited for the M17 and plan on purchasing a personal one as soon as I can so that I can have a common carry/work pistol type, and do believe that the M9 was in need of replacing, I feel like the M4A1+ would have been a better investment for a more lethal force.

I've heard the argument that "the majority of Soldiers can't shoot their issued M4's well to begin with, we need to invest in more training rather than an equipment solution.", but I don't feel that this holds water. Sure, this may apply to the majority of your average Infantry PLT, but a sizable minority in my experience actually shoots pretty well, especially so with the right training, well enough that they would be able to take advantage of a modern free floated upper. Not to mention that a modern free floated MLOK or Keymod (not intending to open up a debate here on the relative merits of these attachment systems, just an observation) rail is probably cheaper to acquire than the RAS anyway. Heck, we probably spend more money on fire retardant OCP pattern uniforms and mountain combat boots for folks who will never leave an office environment while deployed than it would cost to outfit combat arms soldiers with SOPMOD Block II or M4A1+ style uppers.

My apologies for the drift from the M27 IAR topic.

Some testing data:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    #RESIST

Wasn't it just within the last year or so that the Corps decided to issue M4s instead of M16s?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Seems like there is increasing small arms divergence between the Army (considering a return to 7.62), the Marines (considering the M27 for general issue) and SOCOM (SOPMOD Block 2 and beyond). These three groups can't even agree on standard 5.56mm ammunition (Mk318 or M855A1) without Congress getting involved...I can't imagine each group pursuing their own service rifle (and possibly in different calibers) without similar oversight coming to bear.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Who is "Competitor F"?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-marine-corps/

I don't have a dog in this fight but a google of M27 turned up this.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-marine-corps/

I don't have a dog in this fight but a google of M27 turned up this.
    we had issues back in 2012 with ours in Afghanistan. Sent the issues up the command, no idea if anyone heard it.

User Tag List