Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 203: The 4567 Drill

Week 203: The 4567 Drill

Week 203: The 4567 Drill

Results may be posted until March 10th, 2017.

Designed by: Chris Edwards (Glock Professional, Inc.) and Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 6" circle - Download here - http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...irc-1in-sq.pdf
    Start Position: Varies, see below
    Rounds Fired: 20

The 4567 was inspired by Gila Hayes抯 𚾤″ drill and the various iterations thereof.

The drill is run four strings, five rounds each, on a six inch circle, at seven yards. A shot timer is used to begin each string of fire. The four strings of fire are:

Procedure:

String 1: Draw and fire 5 rounds from concealment, two-handed

String 2: Draw and fire 5 rounds from concealment, strong hand only

String 3: From the ready position fire 5 rounds, weak hand only

String 4: Draw and fire 5 rounds from concealment, two-handed (repeat of string 1)

For any shot outside of the 6″ circle, add 1 second to your time. Total the times (and penalties) for all four strings to determine your overall score:

Basic total time + penalties = 22 seconds or less
    Intermediate total time + penalties = 18 seconds or less
    Advanced total time + penalties = 13 seconds or less

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment)
    Time and penalties for each string
    Total score (raw time + penalties)
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced)

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Fun drill. I shot this yesterday. I didn't have internet reception at the range and couldn't remember the target used. I used a uspsa target so my times/penalties aren't legit.

Equipment: Glock 19 w/ trijicon hds and jmck George holster.

String 1: 3.32s
    String 2: 5.45s
    String 3: 5.11s
    String 4: 3.0s
    -2D (yikes)
    -1C
    Total time 16.88 seconds
    Penalty time: ?????? 3 misses outside uspsa A zone
    19.88s
    Intermediate.

Lessons learned: my sho & who needs lots of work. That's where my two Ds came from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment) Glock 17 MOS Blade tech OWB, Jacket concealment
    Time and penalties for each string String 1; 4.11 clean. String 2; 5.25 clean. String 3; 5.09 clean. String 4 4.07 clean.
    Total score (raw time + penalties) 18.52 seconds
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced)Basic

Well, as imagined not real strong on this one. This type of drill is my weak area. Which means I should take something like this and the Garcia dots and work them a bunch I guess.
    Last edited by MVS; 02-13-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Alright folks first an intro then a wall of excuses, so let's get those out of the way.

I found this forum about a week ago, I've been overwhelmed and impressed with the discussion and the activities that take place for such a small community. For myself, as of so far I'm self taught mostly via the internet and a few gun rags, I've been getting increasingly interested in pistol shooting over the years and specifically what I *now* know as focus based shooting or defensive shooting. USPSA and IDPA fascinate me but I prefer solo or 1v1 activities if I have a choice.

I've been slapping little 6" to 8" plates for a few years now with a shot timer - I really thought I was getting good, well maybe not good, but fast (mind you I have had a incorrect understanding of speeds too). What I discovered was that I had pigeonholed myself into a comfort zone of doing two explicit types of shooting:

1) Extremely deliberate bullseye slowfire
    2) Speed based plate slapping with no miss penalties

Well I've discovered that when *I* don't design the drill/test and it exhibits characteristics or complexity outside what I considered - I crumble, like bad.

I have like 20 FASTest targets from the last 7 days that are practically war crimes when coupled with the time & splits. (I know you're not supposed to farm the FASTest I was just so appalled with my performance I had to shoot it daily until I sated my ego (I'm still not satisfied just temporarily sated)

Here's the kind of head game speed stuff I just started doing on my own, I'm understanding now how sloppy I've been.

Don't mind the "range" it's BLM land and I'm just trying to make use out of irresponsible lazy people's trash.

Now on to the actual drill, I would have shot this many times to try and game it and stroke my ego, but I'm "building" a new more private range and I spent hours uprooting sage brush which was exhausting - and if I'm being perfectly honest I think psychologically I had already set myself up to perform incrementally worse if I had decided to repeat the drill.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment) FNS-9L OWB passive retention safariland holster, open topped mag pouch concealed under a flannel. (gun gamey and I still suck - waiting on AIWB for an FNS-9)
    Time and penalties for each string See pic (left to right order)
    Total score (raw time + penalties) A whopping 26.57
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) None???

So I learned that I need to learn a lot and shoot a lot. This is reminding me of when I wanted to master proofing my own pizza dough, each batch I made more than one change because I was impatient to improve the results and financially limited with experimentation, but it threw off having some kind of empirical metric because too many factors were changing in tandem or worse - that's how I've felt the last 7 days. I have blown through more ammo this week than I generally do in a month trying to sort out how to combine these two shooting conditions (speed/accuracy) that I thought I had previously independently become proficient at.

I'm ranting, I'll shut up, input is appreciated.

Edited because I slap my keyboard keys as well as a trigger.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 02-15-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment): Glock 17, wing claw, polo
    Time and penalties for each string: 3.35+1, 4.97+1, 4.34+2, 3.44+1
    Total score (raw time + penalties) 20.1
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) So basic

I shot this again four more times. I am in love with it. Scores were 20.96, 20.78, 15.7 (learning occured), 17.01 (clean run). You do not want to shoot this any faster than you can guarantee hits. I was very pleased with the clean run . The fourth run was really fast (raw time 10.7) but I dropped 3 WHO plus one each on the first freestyle and the SHO. I can absolutely shoot this advanced if I clean up my WHO, and I know I can get the hits WHO, I just need to find my level.

String 1: 3.00 -0
    String 2: 5.17 -2
    String 3: 5.08 -0
    String 4: 3.39 -0

Raw: 16.64 + 2s penalty = 18.64, basic.

I completely flubbed my SHO draw. Because of that, I felt more pressured than I should have and accepted sloppy sight pictures on the third and fourth rounds. Both rounds were about 2" high. I slowed down intentionally to make my hits after this string.

Ammunition used was 124gr plated reloads @ 135 power factor/1090fps ave. Holster was a JRC Watson Special. Gun was a G17, stock internals, 10-8 rear/Dawson tritium front.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    P226 .40, American Eagle ammo
    Bladetech IWB under button down shirt.

2H: 5.64
    SHO: 6.32
    WHO (went from memory and drew with transition instead of low ready start...derp): 7.09 with one miss
    2H: 5.14 (sped up as I realized I left plenty of time on the table with the first attempt)
    Total time: 24.23
    Total time with penalties: 25.23
    Didn't register on the basic/intermediate/advanced.

Name:  20170224_105222.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  20170224_105333.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  28.8 KBName:  20170224_105742.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  29.6 KB
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 02-24-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment): Glock 17, vm2, sport coat
    Time and penalties for each string: 3.69, 4.85, 6.66, 3.37, clean
    Total score (raw time + penalties) 18.57
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) basic

So I deliberately shot this clean, and the results were not great. I then shot it aggressively, taking 0.8 to 1 second out of each stage, but dropped 8 points (24.23); shot it crazy fast, taking a full second out of each stage, but again dropped 8 (22.09); and then backed it off just enough to shoot it almost clean (-1 who) (16.46).

I can shoot this faster and cleaner. Starting deliberate, flooring the pedal, and then coming back off seems to be the path to improvement.

Interestingly I never shot strings 1 or 4 as fast as I bill drill. I can't figure that out.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Equipment used (pistol, holster, concealment): Glock 17, vm2, sport coat
    Time and penalties for each string: 3.69, 4.85, 6.66, 3.37, clean
    Total score (raw time + penalties) 18.57
    Level reached (Basic, Intermediate, Advanced) basic

So I deliberately shot this clean, and the results were not great. I then shot it aggressively, taking 0.8 to 1 second out of each stage, but dropped 8 points (24.23); shot it crazy fast, taking a full second out of each stage, but again dropped 8 (22.09); and then backed it off just enough to shoot it almost clean (-1 who) (16.46).

I can shoot this faster and cleaner. Starting deliberate, flooring the pedal, and then coming back off seems to be the path to improvement.

Interestingly I never shot strings 1 or 4 as fast as I bill drill. I can't figure that out.
    Very interesting comments JAD, thanks for sharing!

That kind of progression is something I like too. Definitely can be a good way to approach it.

On your observation about this, vs Bill Drill pace, are you accounting for 6" vs 8" circle?
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    are you accounting for 6" vs 8" circle?
    Ding.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List