Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Who do we like for BUISes?

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    Amazing.....I'm not going to get into one of those barf.com silly arguments, and since you've gone to that silly place I'm out before I get any .......dumber.
    You started that type of argument.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I'm out before I get any .......dumber.
    seems wise
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I've used Magpul, Troy and KAC. I prefer KAC by a long shot. They're very well built and low profile. Everything I've ever handled from KAC has just been outstandingly well engineered and built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still use LMT fixed front and rear's unless a folder is required for an optic. I don't use as many chopped handles as I used to. Folders are Troy or KAC and I may have a rifle or two somewhere with the old mbus sights, but probably not. I haven't bought any folders in a long time. Come to think of it, despite having parts for several more complete rifles that I wanted to do, I just don't have the time and haven't built any complete rifles in over a year, maybe year and a half.

Look at these 2 geezers. One guy uses fixed sights with an EO hell and the other guy doesn't even have back ups. Timmies! This thread reminded me of this picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I still use LMT fixed front and rear's unless a folder is required for an optic. I don't use as many chopped handles as I used to. Folders are Troy or KAC and I may have a rifle or two somewhere with the old mbus sights, but probably not. I haven't bought any folders in a long time. Come to think of it, despite having parts for several more complete rifles that I wanted to do, I just don't have the time and haven't built any complete rifles in over a year, maybe year and a half.

Look at these 2 geezers. One guy uses fixed sights with an EO hell and the other guy doesn't even have back ups. Timmies! This thread reminded me of this picture.

Hmm, that seems to be a Viking bear on that second guy :-)

Yeah, total noob ;-)

If it's such a blatant copy why doesn't KAC go after them through the courts? If you take on honest assessment of the industry you'll find a lot of products or ideas that are nothing more than little tweaks or changes to someone's else design. In reality that's how things evolve or progress. What makes me laugh are those people that cry the loudest about GA are those people that don't even run a KAC rifle just an accessory like a sight or a T1 battery cover......and yes I have an SR15.
    Because it isn't patented or copyrighted, and we have more important things to worry about.
    Just because we're used to getting ripped off doesn't mean that we have to take it and not at least point out that we're getting pretty blatantly copied.

But, yeah, you're basically correct; plenty of people just don't really care.
    My responses are for those that would rather not support that.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That doesn't change what they did with KAC's designs. "Everyone else is doing it" isn't an excuse I'd allow my kids or myself.
    I won't buy anything from GA if for no other reason than principle. Their 5.56 QD suppressor isn't even just sort of similar, it appears that they sat down with an NT4 and reverse engineered it. To hell with them. Many of their products wreak of KAC knock off to the point it appears they want to market to the crowd that wants KAC shit but isn't willing to pay the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I've lost track of the number of guns I've setup with the Daniel Defense front sight and the Troy flip-up rear. The Daniel Defense front is perfectly relieved to allow access to a Surefire X300 mounted at 12:00. The Troys fold down reasonably flat and work with the various optics configurations I've tried.
    John,

That looks like a pretty solid setup, as illustrated on the DD site.

Name:  sightshots-015.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  15.9 KB

Is there any reason to prefer the Troy over an MBUS Pro for the rear?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    John,

That looks like a pretty solid setup, as illustrated on the DD site.

Name:  sightshots-015.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  15.9 KB

Is there any reason to prefer the Troy over an MBUS Pro for the rear?
    Maybe the angle on that picture isn't the best, but it looks like the lens on the light would get absolutely blasted by gas coming out of the top of the flash hider.

As for the OP's question, I prefer Magpul MBUS Pros.

1) They're small when folded, especially the rear sight. It doesn't extend further than the outline of the upper receiver, which gives more room for grabbing the charging handle than some other models.
    2) Both the front and rear sights adjust with a thumbwheel and don't require a tool.
    3) They have a 45-degree version for use on ARs with magnified scopes.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Maybe the angle on that picture isn't the best, but it looks like the lens on the light would get absolutely blasted by gas coming out of the top of the flash hider.
    That's a potential issue, definitely moreso than if there was a few more inches of barrel past the handguard. I'm working on getting a pistol set up. It has only a 7-in handguard. I like the 12:00 pistol light strategy on my 16-in gun with a 13-in. handguard, but I'm a little concerned that the 12:00 pistol light will push the front sight too far back, especially if the light is bumped back to get the lens out of the blast zone.

I've considered a 1:30 mounting of the light, which would allow the front sight to be pushed all the way to the front of the rail and allow the light switches to be manipulated with the strong hand thumb. The downside of that approach is it makes the skinny part of the pistol somewhat wider with a big wart on a plane and in an area that normally doesn't have one. Much cleaner in and out of a bag if it's on top.

Although another thought is that if the gun ends up with a LAW folder and has the thickness of the RE folded along the left side, a 9:00 mounted light would be pretty much in line with that and might work well.

Need to experiment a bit more.

Understood on the MBUS Pros. Familiar with them. On a dot-equipped gun, I like lower-1/3 cowitness with non-offset sights because the rear aperture really cleans up the dot with my astigmatism if I need to be precise. Have a set of the offsets coming for an LPVO setup I'm working on.

I was basically asking to see if there was a reason to get the Troy rather than just going with another one of what I know. I've also looked at the Troy fixed rear to take a little more cost out of it. Plenty of room with a Micro dot.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 12-14-2020 at 10:26 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List