Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ISO Basic Shot timer

ISO Basic Shot timer

I'm not going into competition so I don't need all the bells and whistles. It's going to be used just for basic stuff in my back yard. I know they have apps for smart phones now as well but have no idea what's good and what's crap.

Hell bent on being intentionally anachronistic

I've got this one: https://www.amazon.com/PACT-Club-Sho...lub+shot+timer

I had to fiddle with the sensitivity a little bit at first, but it has worked well for me for several years. That said, I've never seen a trainer with one, and never seen one used in a match. Most of those folks use one of the ProTimer products: https://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Pro-Ti.../dp/B00LAF7GSI

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I have the same one as Okie John and it's met all my basic needs. I've had mine for about 4 years and if it craps out on me, i'd most likely replace it with the same one.

They're all the same thing, competitors (and everyone else) don't use anything any more fancy at a match than they do at the practice session.

In a nutshell the phone apps all suck ass for anything other than a start beep, they're all overpriced and not super durable, and the Pocket Pros are probably the most popular ones. It's a market desperately waiting for a kickass device to come in and dominate.

Your sum total of options that doesn't include ancient timers no one actually buys anymore:
    Pocket Pro
    Pocket Pro II
    PACT Club Timer
    CED7000
    Shotmaxx (Don't buy these, they're super notorious for the speakers crapping out)
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

eastex - there are a few shot timer apps available free for your phone (both ios and android) - let me know if you need a specific rec.

not as great as a dedicated device, but an easy way to get your feet wet.

Best free option I've found for Android, works for DF

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ryfirepartimer

I like the CED7000 for range.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    <Matthew 10:28>

I've got a PACT Club Timer I bought in the early 2000s (03ish?) that's still working. Before that I had fancier PACT timers with chronograph options, etc, but never used them for anything more advanced than time to first shot, splits, and total time. The Club Timer is starting to get sensitive to cold and damp, sometimes needing to be slapped around a bit to keep it in line - and the buzzer is starting to go, but, I think I've gotten WAY more than my money's worth out of it at this point.

I've got a CED 7000 as well, it sits in my range bag and literally has never come out. I find it more difficult to manipulate than the Club Timer, and the buzz is less audible (so difficult running a line full of gray beards with hearing problems).

Site Supporter
    I have had a Competition Electronics Pocket Pro since about 1999, and it has worked well in all of that time.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have a Pocket Pro II and i am more or less happy with it, though the battery seems to be a little loose in its housing. Never actually had loss of power with it, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    They're all the same thing, competitors (and everyone else) don't use anything any more fancy at a match than they do at the practice session.

In a nutshell the phone apps all suck ass for anything other than a start beep, they're all overpriced and not super durable, and the Pocket Pros are probably the most popular ones. It's a market desperately waiting for a kickass device to come in and dominate.

Your sum total of options that doesn't include ancient timers no one actually buys anymore:
    Pocket Pro
    Pocket Pro II
    PACT Club Timer
    CED7000 (Don't buy these either. I've gone through three of them in as many years.)
    Shotmaxx (Don't buy these, they're super notorious for the speakers crapping out)

I agree with this entire rundown. Except I'd have added the bolded bit.

User Tag List