Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling shots?

OP, in case you missed it, I would carefully read (or reread) post #5.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I misremembered. The time from sear release to primer ignition is around 0.003 per this test. I am sure there can be movement but it has to be minuscule.
    The problem is not the movement that happens in that tiny .003 seconds but the movement you don't realize you're making at the same time you're squeezing the trigger. What seems instantaneous to the shooter or an observer is actually plenty of time to move the gun off target. If you could place a 5000 FPS slow motion camera downrange you'd be able to watch the muzzle wonder off target as the trigger is pulled.

Think about how much a tiny sight adjustment moves the point of impact on target and then realize that you are moving the gun orders of magnitude more in the time from beginning to press the trigger back to actual primer ignition.

There are two different ball and dummy drills you can do to work through this.

First is the one Les already mentioned. Load a magazine 50/50 so that you know whether a round will be live or a dummy. This gives you the mental focus of "I know this is not a live round so I'll do it without flinch" to teach yourself what a proper trigger pull is like.

The other is to randomly insert a few dummies into a mag and do whatever drills you normally do. You won't know when the dummies will come. This will show you in glaringly painful detail just how bad you are jerking the gun. Whether you're doing Dot Torture, a Bill Drill or something else you can see where you're jerking the gun and hopefully correct that habit.

Do both of those drills slow fire before moving to rapid fire drills.

A couple things - You have to not blink when firing for this to have the most benefit. That means doing the drills to eliminate blinking like firing into the berm (no target) while observing the gun and sight and consciously keeping your eyes open.

If I jerk the gun during dummy drills I do 5 perfect trigger presses before I resume.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you just pull the trigger straight you shouldn't have accuracy issues. Grip only affects recoil management (and as an observation my sights recoil all over, as long as they return you're good to go).
    That's not all a good grip does.

A solid grip minimizes the effects of a bad trigger press. Sights will return to where I want them sooner and travel in a more predictable path with a more solid grip.

No downsides and lots of upsides to an ideal grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    That's not all a good grip does.

A solid grip minimizes the effects of a bad trigger press. Sights will return to where I want them sooner and travel in a more predictable path with a more solid grip.

No downsides and lots of upsides to an ideal grip.
    Recoil management definitely includes your sights.

Regardless, you can have a wimpy ass upside down pinky-on-trigger grip, and as long as you pull the trigger like you should that bullet will go where you're aiming.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I've found it can be worth dry firing at the range l, especially when live fire isn't going so well.
    It sounds like clickbait, but a string of dry fire after a string of flinchy shots can cause almost instant improvement in the next group

Regardless, you can have a wimpy ass upside down pinky-on-trigger grip, and as long as you pull the trigger like you should that bullet will go where you're aiming.
    Absolutely but...a rock solid grip means the bad pull that would be a miss with a soft grip is just a left of center hit.

Dudes: Let's not confuse the OP. He's doing something wrong.

Looks like his aim isn't 1/2 bad with the .22, which is why stuff like gripping harder, working through and FUBAR flinches, etc. is probably a reasonable place for him to do work.

Just say'n.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    OP, in case you missed it, I would carefully read (or reread) post #5.
    I think there must be a blink involved for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    Dudes: Let's not confuse the OP. He's doing something wrong.

Looks like his aim isn't 1/2 bad with the .22, which is why stuff like gripping harder, working through and FUBAR flinches, etc. is probably a reasonable place for him to do work.

Just say'n.
    I disagree, I want us to raise a GM that shoots upside down
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Hammertime
    Thanks for the input everyone. I got back to the range today and things went better. On Okie John's recommendation I kept it to 150 rounds. I have been having great dry fire sessions since the OP.

I did various slow fire marksmanship stuff. I was most happy with a dot torture at 3 yds

My SHO needs work, but my other groups were the tightest I have ever shot at this range despite a wobbly first dot.

I was able to concentrate on front sight and able to call several shots in the rear of the session. I was also able to see muzzle sparks well.

This is a walk back which I cleaned to 10 yards.

I think my issue that started the OP was likely shooting more rounds than I could tolerate in too short a time. I got a little shell shocked and started blinking/flinching almost certainly.

With a couple days off and a calm mindset everything got a lot better.

User Tag List