Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Calling shots?

Dry fire and shoot like a mofo, you'll get there. I can almost guarantee you're just pulling shots low like everyone does when they start out.

Just remember to make your shots up in dry fire. Solid grip, clean trigger pull, sights lined up. If they aren't, put another shot on it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I've found it can be worth dry firing at the range l, especially when live fire isn't going so well.

I also was pulling my shots to the side. I then tried really hard control muzzle flip by rolling my wrists forward and locking them. This helped, but still, I pulled my shots to the side. I was getting really frustrated and discouraged. Then, finally I saw a Rob Leatham youtube video where he teaches that it's also important to lock our wrists so that they don't break sideways. When the muzzle rises, therefore, it should rise only straight up and down. (My muzzle, I noticed, was rising slightly to the side.) If we are gripping a handgun, therefore, and someone pushes our hands, our wrists should not break. Instead, our upper body should turn sideways.

Suddenly, I stopped pulling so many of my shots to the side.

I also try to focus only on the top of the front sight. I used to have the bad habit of focusing on the sight's red dot.

Randy

If you just pull the trigger straight you shouldn't have accuracy issues. Grip only affects recoil management (and as an observation my sights recoil all over, as long as they return you're good to go).

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post

1. Is there a trick to learning to call the shot?
    2. How much time does it take to learn round count and dry fire wise?

And finally and this is an unlikely long shot I think:

3. Is it possible to mess up sight alignment after the trigger releases but before the bullet leaves the barrel during the lock time?

Thank you for any replies.
    1.) Yes - The Roger's Ball & Dummy Drill: Take a magazine load it alternating live/dummy/live/dummy, etc until all the way full. You want a live round on the bottom and live round on the top. At least 10 dummies in there.

When you shoot your group, do it at a moderate pace - when you hit the dummy round, if you see the gun dip like you're dunking a donut into coffee, give yourself a pat not he back: You just saw your mistake. Seeing is believing! How far did the gun dip? Surprising? Tell yourself, "Mom still loves me" and tap rack and get back on the sights - just concentrate on FS and a nice trigger press straight back into the web of your hand.

If you mess up again, that's ok... Get through the magazine.

The goal is begin able to break a shot with little or no movement in the gun by the end... Part of this drill teaches you to see your sights and keep seeing them during the shot. That process of "seeing the sight during the shot" is essentially "calling the shot". When you learn how to see the sight better, then you'll notice that you're pushing the gun a bit, etc when you pick up the pace (this take a bit of time to develop)

We've talked about this a lot in other threads - check those out:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post444947 (has a lame video)
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ent-quot/page2

2.) This is a really open ended question. Everyone is different. Just getting the basics of calling the shot? Maybe a few months. Learning to pay attention to what the sights are telling you so you're not fucking it up? Maybe a lifetime. I'm still working on that.

I think you can learn good triggering from dry fire; learn to pull straight back into the web of your hand/don't disturb the sights/etc. But, however, long pause, I think you need to live fire that stuff because there is a very real "flinch" and subconscious unsettling that happens when shooting.

3.) Debates rage: Personally, in a practical shooting context, I think that what we do immediately before the shot breaks plays a much bigger role: Body movement, transitioning the gun through multiple targets, jerking the trigger, etc. In the grand scheme of things, I would put this somewhere near last on shit to worry about...

Hammertime
    I looked at lock time on a G19 and it is on the order of 0.007s I don't see how it is possible to screw up the alignment in that interval.

I looked at lock time on a G19 and it is on the order of 0.007s I don't see how it is possible to screw up the alignment in that interval.
    I dunno if that is right... I think shot-to-shot on a full auto glock is ~.06s? Considering that there are folks that can split down into the .09's (once in a while), I'm thinking there sure could be some amount of deviation applied to the gun during the firing process (after pulling the trigger before the bullet exits the barrel)...

It's possible, but you have other problems to solve first.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime

Calling shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    I dunno if that is right... I think shot-to-shot on a full auto glock is ~.06s? Considering that there are folks that can split down into the .09's (once in a while), I'm thinking there sure could be some amount of deviation applied to the gun during the firing process (after pulling the trigger before the bullet exits the barrel)...
    I misremembered. The time from sear release to primer ignition is around 0.003 per this test. I am sure there can be movement but it has to be minuscule.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uC9CINaiGBw
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.

It's so small as to be effectively meaningless. If you train yourself to not affect the gun before ignition the post-pew problem will self correct if it does indeed exist.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-08-2017 at 01:27 PM.

User Tag List