Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling shots?

Hammertime

Calling shots?

I had a frustrating day shooting today. I found myself pulling shots off target with great frequency. Typically downward. I was not frustrated by the flinch so much as I was frustrated by my lack of ability to read the sights and "call the miss."

According to my sight picture and how I felt my trigger press went, I was frequently astounded at how far off the the intended target I hit. To my mind, many times I had a good sight picture that I did not disrupt during the trigger press. I would recover the shot, continuing to look at the sights and only then check the target. Sometimes I nailed it, but often it was a miss and I could not tell the difference between the two based on what I saw through the sights. That is frustrating because I can't learn when I can't get the feedback to know when things go awry.

I even had one target I could not check due to it being 25 yards so there was no temptation to lift the eyes prematurely to check it. I missed half the shots off paper and I would not have called a single one off the paper.

What the heck is going on? I guess I have several questions for the more experienced:

1. Is there a trick to learning to call the shot?
    2. How much time does it take to learn round count and dry fire wise?

And finally and this is an unlikely long shot I think:

3. Is it possible to mess up sight alignment after the trigger releases but before the bullet leaves the barrel during the lock time?

Thank you for any replies.

When I pulled shots they usually went low and left. I'm right handed.

My problem was mostly trying to make the shot "right now" because it looked right.
    It showed up a lot when I switched from irons to a red dot on my Ruger Mark II.
    When I let the dot hand in my wobble zone and just pressed the trigger without
    trying to make it go as soon as things looked right, I did better.

Dry fire helped me most with learning to shoot a rifle offhand, and to stop flinching
    when I started to shoot a pistol in .357 Maximum that was louder than I was used to.
    It took a several weeks of dry firing every few days to get rid of the flinch.

The coach of my son's junior pistol team had the team members shoot at the blank backs of
    targets now and then. It can help because the bullseye isn't there to distract from sight
    alignment and trigger press.

You might also check and see if your rear sight is loose. It most likely isn't, but strange
    things do happen. My deer rifle started shooting three inch groups that were quite high once.
    Instead of inch groups where I wanted them. Turned out the scope mount screws were loose.
    Still have no idea how that happened. Once I tightened them up things went back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    I had a frustrating day shooting today. I found myself pulling shots off target with great frequency. Typically downward. I was not frustrated by the flinch so much as I was frustrated by my lack of ability to read the sights and "call the miss."

According to my sight picture and how I felt my trigger press went, I was frequently astounded at how far off the the intended target I hit. To my mind, many times I had a good sight picture that I did not disrupt during the trigger press. I would recover the shot, continuing to look at the sights and only then check the target. Sometimes I nailed it, but often it was a miss and I could not tell the difference between the two based on what I saw through the sights. That is frustrating because I can't learn when I can't get the feedback to know when things go awry.

I even had one target I could not check due to it being 25 yards so there was no temptation to lift the eyes prematurely to check it. I missed half the shots off paper and I would not have called a single one off the paper.

What the heck is going on? I guess I have several questions for the more experienced:

2. How much time does it take to learn round count and dry fire wise?

And finally and this is an unlikely long shot I think:

3. Is it possible to mess up sight alignment after the trigger releases but before the bullet leaves the barrel during the lock time?

Thank you for any replies.
    Tell us more.

What pistol and load are you shooting? Distance? Target? Lighting conditions? Sights?

What's your level of experience? Did you have another more experienced shooter try the pistol? Can you post pictures of your groups?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hammertime

Calling shots?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Tell us more.

What pistol and load are you shooting? Distance? Target? Lighting conditions? Sights?

What's your level of experience? Did you have another more experienced shooter try the pistol? Can you post pictures of your groups?

Okie John
    I am working my way through 2000 rounds in a G 19.

I have been shooting 4 years but only with higher round counts in the last months. Just finished 2k rounds though a G 42.

Photos and much more at my training log.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....esting-Journal

The exercise that frustrated me was a dot drill at 3 yds. 1" dots. Not dot torture.

Here is a group at 15 yds with the .22 conversion from today. Rear sight is off a bit.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-08-2017 at 12:05 AM.

I was not frustrated by the flinch so much as I was frustrated by my lack of ability to read the sights and "call the miss."

What the heck is going on?

Often, when people flinch, they blink. When you blink, your eyes are closed at that most crucial of moments. If they're not open, you won't see the reflexive movement. You might 'feel' it, but you won't see it. Also, a lot of people will swear up and down that they're keeping their eyes open. And aren't. FWIW.
    Last edited by taadski; 02-08-2017 at 01:25 AM.

I was told yes, a couple of times.

I

I am a last guy to say something on this subject. That out of the way, my experience is that being consciously cognizant of front sight position just before the lift is the answer. I think it is an advanced skill because lower level shooters are usually consciously preoccupied with something else, like how they need to draw, trigger press etc, and there are only so many things one can concentrate at once. I don't call my shots well on a consistent basis but sometimes I do OK. Usually those are the days when I am in zone otherwise and don't need to think of any other tasks at hand.

OP, it sounds like you are on the right track and you should try not to get frustrated. It takes a long time to learn to call your shots. I am still learning to call my shots, but I have gotten much better. I still have lots of work to do, so take this advice for what it's worth.

Below is a combination of drills I needed to do a LOT of to get to the point where I can mostly call my shots:

Wall Drill. (If you can't press the trigger straight back without disturbing your sights you won't be able to call your shots)
    Dots - 3 yards and further
    25 yard B8's

After you are comfortable with those, start picking up the pace. Transition drills, Bill drills, berm drills, etc. The moment you learn you can track the sight through the full recoil arc, then you are on the road to calling your shots at speed.

When you first start out, shot calling and tracking the front sight seems like witchcraft or lies told to you by people on the internet, but it is possible. You just need time and dedication. Keep it up!
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 02-08-2017 at 02:40 AM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

I flipped through your training log and I see at least four problems.

1. Take a break. You’re shooting so much that you’re close to perfecting some very bad habits. A couple of weeks off won’t kill you.
    2. Settle on one pistol. Trying to do serious work with eight or nine pistols in three months is a waste of time and ammo. Shooting three or four on the same trip is worse because you spend more time getting used to different sight pictures and trigger pulls than you do getting better at shooting. Every pistol you mentioned is excellent. Except for the G42, they’re interchangeable. Pick one and put the others away for the next 5-7k rounds.
    3. Shoot less ammo per trip. Larry Vickers ends training days after 6 hours or 300 rounds, whichever comes first, and that’s for seasoned shooters. You’re not there yet. Until you solve some basic problems, I’d stop after 100 rounds on slow-fire accuracy days and 200 on speed days. Your hands and your ego will thank you. Hitting the range 1-2 times per week is still an excellent idea.
    4. Focus on shooting groups at 5 yards. Pulling the target to 3 yards only masks problems, which leads you to overthink a lot of the drills. For instance, get to where you can put five shots into a 2” group slow fire at 5 yards on demand. Then see if you can cut that to 1.5”, then 1”. Then push the target to 7 yards or 10 and repeat. This reads easy, but it’s not. If you want to shoot a couple of mags SHO or WHO, fine, but don’t shoot an entire box. You’re just not ready for that yet.

I see a lot of energy and dedication here, and I have a lot of respect for your sheer determination to get good at this. You’ve demonstrated that you can work hard. Now it’s time to work smart.

Keep us posted, and let us know if you have questions.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I've been shooting pistol only about 6 years, and my skills are not as advanced as many on this forum. Having shared that disclaimer, I humbly recommend that those who find their shots are hitting well off the intended target spot and are unable to effectively call shots will benefit from less live fire and much, much more dry fire.

I used to do 80%-90% live fire vs. 10%-20% dry fire, and I found I was constantly trying to adjust my technique at the range in order to tighten and center my groups. When I switched over to at least 50% dry fire/50% live fire, I found that I could focus much more on sight picture and sight alignment during the press----and calling shots in dry fire immediately improved my live fire accuracy and results across the board.

Hammertime

Calling shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    OP, it sounds like you are on the right track and you should try not to get frustrated. It takes a long time to learn to call your shots. I am still learning to call my shots, but I have gotten much better. I still have lots of work to do, so take this advice for what it's worth.

Below is a combination of drills I needed to do a LOT of to get to the point where I can mostly call my shots:

Wall Drill. (If you can't press the trigger straight back without disturbing your sights you won't be able to call your shots)
    Dots - 3 yards and further
    25 yard B8's

After you are comfortable with those, start picking up the pace. Transition drills, Bill drills, berm drills, etc. The moment you learn you can track the sight through the full recoil arc, then you are on the road to calling your shots at speed.

When you first start out, shot calling and tracking the front sight seems like witchcraft or lies told to you by people on the internet, but it is possible. You just need time and dedication. Keep it up!
    Thanks for the encouragement from everyone. I am working on many of the above drills so I will just stay at it and wait for a breakthrough.

Okie: I hear what you are saying. Yesterday I shot exceptionally bad for me and I think it is partly because I did 400 rounds the day before and I am just mentally fatigued. I am still Viking with the G19 for now but I do like to dry fire a variety. Maybe that is detrimental? I do like machinery.

I have spent years doing much more dry fire than live fire, this is the first year I have had a range convenient enough to shoot weekly or even daily, so I am taking advantage of that and the dry fire has suffered.

Again thanks for the encouragement. I have rarely found a physical skill I wanted to get good at that where I couldn't get at least above average through practice and persistence. Shooting seems to have a steep learning curve between basic low expectation rounds on target and excellence. I am banging on that wall and wondering if I just hit my genetic limits. I doubt it because I am no where near the 10,000 hour mark
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 02-08-2017 at 08:37 AM.

User Tag List