Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

I've never recorded myself doing any shooting so this was kind of interesting...

I've been shooting my 92fs a lot lately and this was my first real range day with my new G17 Gen 4.

Holster is a Zulu Bravo AIWB and JMCK AIWB mag pouch. AE 124 range ammo.

Target at 7 Yards and B-8, all rounds were in the black. The last shot was 1.47. The others in 1.5-6ish.

One thing I noticed is I am quite a bit upright. I wonder if getting a bit more aggressive in my starting position would be advantageous for recoil etc. Maybe a bit too oversold with clearing my t-shirt but I used to get caught up a lot and have made it a point to make sure to get it it of the way. I'm trying to be quicker to the gun and I could make up a lot of time picking up my sights better. I tend to look for the perfect sight picture...

Please offer critique and thoughts and thanks!

I won't comment on Shootingrn's stuff since I know absolutely nothing about AIWB draws, but they look pretty smooth to me.

In an effort to keep the thread rolling and prove to everyone that I actually do shoot when I'm not on the internet being an asshole, here's a dry fire session from last night filmed with my potato laptop. Draw par times were .7 per Stoeger's drill, and I was barely even hitting that if at all. After I launched the first few mags across the room doing reloads I took the par beep away and just focused on not being a tard the rest of the session. Also: remember to buy Flexbars everyone, they're even more fun than a Slinky.

Last edited by Peally; 02-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

So just looking at these two Bill Drills, you have hits to the 8-ring/8" circle at 2.89 seconds and 9-ring/5.25" circle at 5.37 seconds? IF no conditions present that demand tighter shooting, I really prefer the overall time and hits of that 2.89 run.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I won't comment on Shootingrn's stuff since I know absolutely nothing about AIWB draws, but they look pretty smooth to me.

In an effort to keep the thread rolling and prove to everyone that I actually do shoot when I'm not on the internet being an asshole, here's a dry fire session from last night filmed with my potato laptop. Draw par times were .7 per Stoeger's drill, and I was barely even hitting that if at all. After I launched the first few mags across the room doing reloads I took the par beep away and just focused on not being a tard the rest of the session. Also: remember to buy Flexbars everyone, they're even more fun than a Slinky.

I like your photorealistic shirt!

You have obviously been working on Ben's program so don't expect me to have anything useful to tell you. Especially about reloads.

That's the same face I make when I shake my Flexbar at people too.
    Lord of the Food Court

I know painfully well what I screwed up, it was a pretty brutal session. Glad I took video though, I very rarely do and it shows off a few issues where I'm unnecessarily moving (possible head dips on draws, leaning too far on reloads, etc).

For anyone that gets frustrated in dry fire: when I have time I may go through and make a fuck-up compilation. What you're experiencing happens to everyone at all levels.
    Last edited by Peally; 02-21-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Your reloads are fast....I just really started to get to know Ben S. aside from general knowledge but I can see his style of reload in your execution.

Is the flexbar reference directed at the therapy piece for grip strength?

Which book are you working off of?

Thanks

Don't worry, I fuck plenty of them up too. Failing reloads really ruins gains from other drills so I work on them a lot. I'm probably not the one to ask for advice. Gabe, Les, and a whole lot of other shooters here are far better than I and hold sexier sounding classifications.

I use the flexbar on Gabe's old PF recommendation to combat tennis elbow and stretch before and after dry/live fire. Without it I wouldn't be shooting, and as a bonus it's a gigantic embarrassing green dildo thing that's fun to flop around. Works great for me and my sissy computer hands.

I typically grab drills and par times from Stoeger's line of books (he has one for live fire, dry fire, and fundamentals) on top of whatever drills I think up or find on this site. Just need to cater your practice to specifically nail whatever you're working on. His par times are typically master/grandmaster oriented, so they may need to be tweaked as needed depending on your goals.

YMMV, I'm a crappy teacher so take it for what it's worth
    Last edited by Peally; 02-21-2017 at 11:17 PM.

I set up a fragment of a USPSA-type stage and shot it a bunch of times, trying to alter something every repetition or two, changing the start position, addressing it differently or from a different direction, adding or deleting a reload, or moving a barrier. There was enough going on that I can see there is lots of inefficiency and choppiness. But it was good and felt very productive. Need to do a lot more of this, plus drills to sharpen the subparts. The video shows eight runs - I probably did about twice that altogether. Comments welcome as always!

Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

So just looking at these two Bill Drills, you have hits to the 8-ring/8" circle at 2.89 seconds and 9-ring/5.25" circle at 5.37 seconds? IF no conditions present that demand tighter shooting, I really prefer the overall time and hits of that 2.89 run.
    Yes. Actually they were all in the 10. There were conditions present that demanded tighter shooting.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    <snip>
    Peally

I'm guessing this is a gamer thing, don't shoot me...

When drawing, your support hand goes to your strong side hip to speed things up right? So the pistol is following pretty much a straight line from holster to firing position?

If not, do you have video of your draw from the side?

User Tag List