Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Thank you.

Can you point me to a diagram or written description of the different points in the draw stroke please?
    No diagram that I know of. Usually it's broken down like this:

1 - both hands move, strong hand to master grip, support hand to high chest

2 - strong hand brings gun to the high pectoral position, support hand remains on high chest

3 - both hands join very close to the body

4 - hands and gun extend to the final shooting position
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Some of the force in re-holstering is to overcome the retention, I'll drop back to simply placing the pistol in the holster and let the weight do the work and see how much extra I need to add. I'll continue videoing my draw and take the timer out of the equation for the moment, slow it down to better concentrate on keeping the muzzle flat and minimizing additional movement. Less force will translate to more speed on the draw and I'll remind myself that there's not often a rush to re-holster the pistol.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Did some work on shooting into and out of position.

This wasn't on-demand shooting, it was pushing hard enough (especially with the transitions, even though that wasn't the fundamental point of these drills) to make errors and work on correcting them.

This isolated shooting into position drill is one I learned from Ben Stoeger and I think it's excellent. Get the gun up and aiming before you really even start decelerating - I feel like I mount the gun just a tad late throughout these videos. Be actively aiming while you are using your legs to decelerate, and working the trigger in accordance with that aim. The feet will be finalizing their position as (at least) the first couple of shots are fired.

---

Anyone have any comments/advice? Les, please come to this thread and use so many words!
    On your position entries, you appear to be changing levels with your legs as you enter a position. You are running low/knees bent as shock absorbers to stop and then standing up straighter as you settle in. I would recommend trying to keep your level the same throughout the drill and you should see better hits on the first target you engage.

Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    On your position entries, you appear to be changing levels with your legs as you enter a position. You are running low/knees bent as shock absorbers to stop and then standing up straighter as you settle in. I would recommend trying to keep your level the same throughout the drill and you should see better hits on the first target you engage.
    Thanks very much! I will look closer at that.
    Lord of the Food Court

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    No diagram that I know of. Usually it's broken down like this:

1 - both hands move, strong hand to master grip, support hand to high chest

2 - strong hand brings gun to the high pectoral position, support hand remains on high chest

3 - both hands join very close to the body

4 - hands and gun extend to the final shooting position
    How soon after 3 are you focusing on your front sight?

How soon after 3 are you focusing on your front sight?
    My eyes have adjusted to have front-sight-at-full-extension-distance sharp and clear when I make the decision to fire and start to carry out that decision. So that's way before the front sight reaches a point where I can actually see it.

I first see the front sight in sharp and clear focus when two things happen - it is in the true eye-target line, AND has decelerated enough that the focal distance is no longer rapidly changing like it is while the gun is being extended. So really it is just at the very end of the draw, when the gun is decelerating to a stop in its last inch or two of movement. I am never looking down at the front sight during the draw - eyes are pointed at the target spot the whole time.

You can see my draw path pretty clearly in this recent video - the gun is really only in the true eye-target line at the end and as it's stopping.

Lord of the Food Court

Maybe I don't need to cross post this but to better bring it to a wider audience, why not?
    Like Gabe said, your hands have to move faster throughout, especially moving to the gun when you start the draw stroke. Your offhand needs to move toward the gun as well, and I would recommend trying to move it flat against your stomach close to the gun. This will allow you to get two hands on it quicker rather than bringing the gun to your chest before your second hand makes contact. This will obviously change with holster position, but since your shooting strong side OWB, that's where I'd recommend moving/putting your hands.

I would recommend breaking the draw stroke down to components. Set a par time goal .5 sec and try to go from hands in front to hand on the gun (still in the holster) within that par time. That will help you speed up your hand movement to the gun. Then start with your hand on the gun in the holster, offhand against your stomach, and use the same .5 par time. On the beep, draw to a sight picture. After you can work down to the .5 par time for both components, put it all together again and work the complete draw stroke.

@Lon, I get fuzzies watching you run that revolver...!

General comment: It seems that there is a large opportunity to make up time in the draw throughout all the videos presented. That's what I understand from all of the comments and know that to be true for myself.

I'm hoping to get some video and put it up for analysis soon.

Thanks for putting this up Gabe and everyone for their contributions! Seeing the different videos and then analysis for each example has been a great learning opportunity. This is like a virtual classroom!

This is my feeble attempt at dry fire. AIWB CZ-p07...par timer set at 1.5. After watching a ton of EL's videos I'm trying to capitalize on the fact that I can load up the trigger on the first D/A shot. I am aggressively trying to get rid of the training scar of pinning the trigger. I do it on my glocks like nobody's business and it greatly effects my accuracy at distance.

Disclaimer: this is my fist foray into recording, in a basement, with 2 hours of sleep.
    Last edited by Larry Sellers; 02-17-2017 at 05:41 PM.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This is the Glock version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iykGZ6Qpu9s
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List