Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I shot the Gabe White standards and recorded them.
    When I looked at the Bill Drill I actually did follow the link to Youtube so I could get a full screen view, and while I was there I saw your other three videos with the other three drills I use in Pistol Shooting Solutions (the "Gabe White Standards" as people keep calling them.)

Just to give you the feedback, in class the head target is either a 3x5 or a 4" circle, depending on supplies, so I was looking at all the shots in the head through that lens even though you were using the smaller USPSA upper A-zone. From eyeballing it, I think only one of your head shots would have been a bravo in class. The big trick of course is translating your performance in the usually-less-stressful practice environment, into performance in a more stressful situation, like in actual class with something riding on the outcome. But that said, and if you did shoot those same times and hits in class, it would be good for a Dark Pin. Nice job!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I see what you did there. Is there a variant for lefties?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Really, really like seeing video.
    Yeah, I'd love to be able to video my practice sessions, both for external critique as well as self-tracking, but a lot of ranges, e.g. NRA range, don't allow photography/videography of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    You might be able to get your support hand, and maybe both hands, moving faster throughout the draw - especially the support hand clearing the shirt at the beginning.
    -- Good eye. I will have to take a look at that and compare it to some D1s. I suffer from inconsistency-- mixed AIWB and 3:00, one-hand cover clear vs two -- and I could be paying for that; or I could be mentally getting ahead of the draw, worried about the subsequent shots, sight tracking, recoil control.

II see the gun taking a little dip and hard stop at the end of the draw
    -- I'm working on that. I can do it in isolation. It takes a clean 0.2 off my draw.

IThere is a little head-ducking going on.
    My albatross since gunsite '97. It is a bad thing. I feel like I should try putting electrical tape across the top of my glasses.

IIt might help a bit to know the breakdown of your first shot time and subsequent splits. ... but if you are getting hits reliably into the 8" circle at 7 yards, your shooting seems pretty solid to me.
    Odds are good that's a 1.9 draw, which would mean 0.4 splits. That doesn't sound right, so now I need to redo it.

Thanks a whole bunch for the feedback!
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Will that work with Flickr same as youtube?
    Unfortunately I do not know. I've tried some hosting sites for pictures/video that worked and others that didn't. I'd say if you have a flickr account already you could load a very short dummy video and test it out. If you don't want random people finding your videos on youtube, you can post videos as "unlisted" so that only those with the direct link can view it.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Odds are good that's a 1.9 draw, which would mean 0.4 splits.!
    Der. Point two, which is normal.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I think you can gain a lot of time by moving your hands faster throughout the draw. That's something you can work on in dry practice, without ammo expenditure. You need to make sure you still get your grip right or it will undermine all the shooting. A breakdown of first shot time and subsequent splits will also help us evaluate things better.

Here are my split times for the bill drills:1.85/.39/.33/.31/..42/.44 = 3.71 -1 Body -.25 for concealment + .25 for a C= 3.71
    2.02/ .42/.36/.37/ .33/.29= 3.79 -0 hits -.25 for concealment= 3.54

Those times are really slow to first draw. I know I can do better. I'm still learning to be more comfortable in live fire. That was probably the 5th Bill Drill I have shot in my life. I followed up with a few more (that I didn't video) and was able to get as low as 2.74 with all A's. I wish I had recorded my splits for that one. When I go to live fire, it's difficult for me to transition to "acceptable sight picture" I always want a perfect sight picture.

The shooting itself could be more aggressive too and it sounds to my ear like there is significant time on the table. But that is sort of the equivalent of saying that you should get more skilled at the shooting, so it's sort of a directionless comment. To make it more specific, three things have to go together to shoot rapidly and accurately:

1. Your grip/stance/platform must stiffly hold the gun in place, which in conjunction with the cyclic action of the gun, will bring it back to the target spot quickly. You don't want to be going with/accentuating the recoil, nor do you want to be consciously muscling the gun back down out of recoil - though as you practice you will develop the subconscious timing to bring it back down out of recoil. Your grip, stance, body weight forward, and the slide snapping forward create a very productive conspiracy to drive the gun back to the target spot with very little conscious effort on your part. Mostly you just need to want to see the sights back on target, and your conspiracy will tend to serve that up to you. It was a little hard for me to see in the video, but the shot you said you jerked looked to me like you either anticipated and shoved the gun down before it fired and needed to be (subconsciously) shoved down, or you were 'trying' to get it out of recoil and overdrove the gun low, instead of 'allowing' the gun to come back to the target spot, again driven by your conspiracy. You may be a better judge on that point and if you think you just jerked the trigger, I believe you.

You are right. I didn't jerk the trigger. I specifically remember shoving the gun low and left before I pulled the trigger. I think it was the 5th shot. But I think you are right, the issue wasn't my trigger pull it was me moving the entire gun in preparation for recoil. After reading through some other threads, I think my timing with "post ignition push" gets off in live fire. My dry fire time is probably 10:1 to live fire, if not more. I'm hoping more live fire will help me with timing issues with recoil.

2. You have be paying attention to the sights, so that you know when sufficient alignment is re-achieved, or better yet, about to be re-achieved, so that you can work the trigger without unnecessary delay.

Ya I definitely need to work on this and learning what an acceptable sight picture is for the given distance.

3. You have to be letting the trigger forward, at least to the reset point (or further), while the gun is in recoil, and be able to run the trigger straight back at full speed, more and more precisely.

I definitely need to improve on this. Pinning the trigger is my nemesis.

As you get better at those things, it will amount to your shooting getting better.
    My responses are bolded. Thank you so much for your input and taking the time to help me! I have some really good things I can work on!!

FWIW I had the same issue with pinning the trigger. I'm pretty sure Mr White was the one that called me out on that as well!

One thing that helped me was to run multiple strings in dry fire without pinning the trigger, and for single shots or final shots in those strings to just be aware of whether I was pinning the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Nice idea. Here's a couple of mine from a few weeks ago.

FAST w P07/RMR (times avg b/t 5-6 seconds)

Another run in slow mo

And revolver run on the FAST (b/t 7-8 seconds iirc)

Things I know I need to work on:
    Time to first shot on low prob targets.
    Reloads with the wheel gun.

What else do you see?

The reload w the P07 is different from how I do it with any other semi-auto. I can't reach the slide stop with my right thumb without radically shifting my grip. So I'm working on using my left thumb.
    Lon, you already hit a couple of things that I would say. The first shot time to a smaller target is one. And I see what you are saying about using your support hand thumb on the slide stop when you are reloading, but given the issue of radical grip shifting to reach with the strong hand thumb, I think you may have already arrived at the fastest available solution - using the support hand thumb.

Besides that, you are in that category where there isn't a whole heck of a lot to say because you are doing the big gunhandling things very well - good draw and reload, good safety (I looked closely at the slow motion video to see when during the draw your finger was getting inside the trigger guard and it looks great.)

You could work on moving your hands faster throughout. That will probably engender some failures, so you have to either work through that or balance correct execution against improving your hand speed.

Bottom line is that I like what I see.

The shooting speed is probably where you have the most ground you could take up - so that's going to be grip/stance, vision, and trigger. Of course, 'shoot just as well but do it faster' is hard. I'd say some of the same things to you that I said to 1776United (not including the pushing-the-shot down observation that was specific to him.)

The shooting itself could be more aggressive too and it sounds to my ear like there is significant time on the table. But that is sort of the equivalent of saying that you should get more skilled at the shooting, so it's sort of a directionless comment. To make it more specific, three things have to go together to shoot rapidly and accurately:

1. Your grip/stance/platform must stiffly hold the gun in place, which in conjunction with the cyclic action of the gun, will bring it back to the target spot quickly. You don't want to be going with/accentuating the recoil, nor do you want to be consciously muscling the gun back down out of recoil - though as you practice you will develop the subconscious timing to bring it back down out of recoil. Your grip, stance, body weight forward, and the slide snapping forward create a very productive conspiracy to drive the gun back to the target spot with very little conscious effort on your part. Mostly you just need to want to see the sights back on target, and your conspiracy will tend to serve that up to you. It was a little hard for me to see in the video, but the shot you said you jerked looked to me like you either anticipated and shoved the gun down before it fired and needed to be (subconsciously) shoved down, or you were 'trying' to get it out of recoil and overdrove the gun low, instead of 'allowing' the gun to come back to the target spot, again driven by your conspiracy. You may be a better judge on that point and if you think you just jerked the trigger, I believe you.

2. You have be paying attention to the sights, so that you know when sufficient alignment is re-achieved, or better yet, about to be re-achieved, so that you can work the trigger without unnecessary delay.

3. You have to be letting the trigger forward, at least to the reset point (or further), while the gun is in recoil, and be able to run the trigger straight back at full speed, more and more precisely.

As you get better at those things, it will amount to your shooting getting better.
    Lon, from looking at the slow motion video you posted, I kind of think your trigger finger speed might be a key to 'getting faster.' You might try exploring moving your finger faster on the trigger to make the gun fire faster, and watch that red dot to try to figure out how to drag your vision and grip/recoil control along with it. Maybe you'll just immediately shoot faster and still maintain your accuracy, or maybe you'll notice that the whole process is waiting on your vision recognizing the dot back on target, or is waiting on your grip/recoil control bringing the gun back to the target spot. From the video, it looked like maybe those things were waiting on your trigger finger though.

I don't think I have anything useful to add on the revolver front.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List