Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Also depends on the definition of "guarantee."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    Thank you! How do I embed videos?
    The alternative way to Mr White's method is to copy the youtube link, click the little film icon in the icon bar, 2nd from the right. It should pop up a message box that allows you to paste your video link and embed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    JAD, I took the liberty of embedding your video too - it makes them much more attractive to watch - I hope you don't mind!
    Not at all, thanks for unlazying me.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    The alternative way to Mr White's method is to copy the youtube link, click the little film icon in the icon bar, 2nd from the right. It should pop up a message box that allows you to paste your video link and embed.
    Will that work with Flickr same as youtube?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm suprised how young these shooters are.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

Since bill drills are a thing. I was using a b8 and tolerating hits inside the 8 ring. I should try it again guaranteeing black and compare the videos.
    I looked at your video and a few little things jump out at me.

You might be able to get your support hand, and maybe both hands, moving faster throughout the draw - especially the support hand clearing the shirt at the beginning. I bet you can get somewhere between one and three tenths from that, though you'll certainly have to take care that you don't flush your grip or overall presentation in the process. That's where the work is though.

I see the gun taking a little dip and hard stop at the end of the draw and you might be able to make that a little more direct and smoother and thus get to a sufficient sight picture and proceed with accurate shooting sooner.

There is a little head-ducking going on. As long as you are still looking out the front of your eyes with your head basically facing forward, I don't think it's that big a deal, but less ducking might be better in general. To whatever extent you are ducking your head, I tend to think it is better done earlier in the draw, so that the gun is being brought to the eyes, instead of trying to move both the head and gun at the same time. It looks like your head ducking is happening a little later in the draw.

It might help a bit to know the breakdown of your first shot time and subsequent splits. Your shooting doesn't sound slow to my ear. I would think you have the most headroom to improve your Bill Drill with a more efficient draw. I'd like to know the splits, but if you are getting hits reliably into the 8" circle at 7 yards, your shooting seems pretty solid to me.

Just a few ideas and I hope they help!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Also depends on the definition of "guarantee."
    This is the Glock version.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by 1776United View Post
    I'll start by posting what will probably be the slowest bill drill of the thread.

I shot the Gabe White standards and recorded them. Feel free to tell me anything and everything I can fix!

Lesson learned on the video. I filmed with my phone vertical like a newb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you can gain a lot of time by moving your hands faster throughout the draw. That's something you can work on in dry practice, without ammo expenditure. You need to make sure you still get your grip right or it will undermine all the shooting. A breakdown of first shot time and subsequent splits will also help us evaluate things better.

The shooting itself could be more aggressive too and it sounds to my ear like there is significant time on the table. But that is sort of the equivalent of saying that you should get more skilled at the shooting, so it's sort of a directionless comment. To make it more specific, three things have to go together to shoot rapidly and accurately:

1. Your grip/stance/platform must stiffly hold the gun in place, which in conjunction with the cyclic action of the gun, will bring it back to the target spot quickly. You don't want to be going with/accentuating the recoil, nor do you want to be consciously muscling the gun back down out of recoil - though as you practice you will develop the subconscious timing to bring it back down out of recoil. Your grip, stance, body weight forward, and the slide snapping forward create a very productive conspiracy to drive the gun back to the target spot with very little conscious effort on your part. Mostly you just need to want to see the sights back on target, and your conspiracy will tend to serve that up to you. It was a little hard for me to see in the video, but the shot you said you jerked looked to me like you either anticipated and shoved the gun down before it fired and needed to be (subconsciously) shoved down, or you were 'trying' to get it out of recoil and overdrove the gun low, instead of 'allowing' the gun to come back to the target spot, again driven by your conspiracy. You may be a better judge on that point and if you think you just jerked the trigger, I believe you.

2. You have be paying attention to the sights, so that you know when sufficient alignment is re-achieved, or better yet, about to be re-achieved, so that you can work the trigger without unnecessary delay.

3. You have to be letting the trigger forward, at least to the reset point (or further), while the gun is in recoil, and be able to run the trigger straight back at full speed, more and more precisely.

As you get better at those things, it will amount to your shooting getting better.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    This is the Glock version.
    I see what you did there. Is there a variant for lefties?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Nice idea. Here's a couple of mine from a few weeks ago.

FAST w P07/RMR (times avg b/t 5-6 seconds)

Another run in slow mo

And revolver run on the FAST (b/t 7-8 seconds iirc)

Things I know I need to work on:
    Time to first shot on low prob targets.
    Reloads with the wheel gun.

What else do you see?

The reload w the P07 is different from how I do it with any other semi-auto. I can't reach the slide stop with my right thumb without radically shifting my grip. So I'm working on using my left thumb.
    Last edited by Lon; 02-07-2017 at 06:19 PM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List