Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    The above links aren't working. Uploaded them to YouTube.

Dang that's quite the training opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Pretty fortunate to be able to shoot there. Tree fell through the roof and the whole house has mold...probably should have had breathing masks on while we shot They're gonna tear it down in the next few months so we're hoping to get out there and shoot like that.m a few more times before it's gone. We want to do a night shoot but I'm not sure how the neighbors across the street would feel about that...
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-03-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Dang, I look back at some footage from even a few weeks ago and my body language has changed drastically, all thanks to the folks here.

Anything else I'm ignorant of? I feel like the wasted movement is pretty contained at this point, but I've never been good at seeing around corners...

Only thing I'm currently aware of is I stage the LEM trigger on the first shot and first shot only, I know tisk tisk, but fuck I shoot better that way...

Not my best FAST, but indicative of proper refinement, IMHO.

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Dang, I look back at some footage from even a few weeks ago and my body language has changed drastically, all thanks to the folks here.

Anything else I'm ignorant of? I feel like the wasted movement is pretty contained at this point, but I've never been good at seeing around corners...

Only thing I'm currently aware of is I stage the LEM trigger on the first shot and first shot only, I know tisk tisk, but fuck I shoot better that way...

Not my best FAST, but indicative of proper refinement, IMHO.

Seem to be coming along well! I'm far from an expert but here's a few things I took away from your video:

Start incorporating different hand positions at the start. You're almost cheating the first part of clearing your concealment because your hands are already positioned to do so. Start drills with your hands at your sides or in the surrender position. Mix it up; you never know how you might have to draw one day if you need to do so in a defensive situation. Clearing concealment efficiently is an important skill. Don't handicap yourself.

As soon as that second head shot is fired, immediately start the reload. You seemed to waste a tenth or two after you fired the shot before you initiated the reload. If you can, put some more pressure on yourself to speed up the body shots. Push it right to the edge of what you're capable of split wise. Once you find that, work back slightly and make that your new comfort zone until your skills keep improving.

Dry fire will help cure that staging the first shot. I, too tend to do the same thing when I shoot a TDA gun on drills like this. I'm working on it, and serious dry-fire reps with very tight time standards are helping me work through it For example, yesterday I was in the 1.6-1.7s range first shot to the 3x5. When I dryfire, I do a few reps at 1.5s par time to warm up, and then I set it to 1.3s par time. Sometimes I get the DA pull off before par, sometimes I don't. But it's important to set hard goals in dry fire and work toward them. Once I start hitting 1.3s 80-90% of the time and can read the sights as I break the shot, I'll bump the par down to 1.2s and start all over.

Thats my .02. Guess it's time for me to start recording myself more at the range...
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-19-2017 at 03:05 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Take a look at your strong hand thumb and how you are varying its position/pressure as the string progresses. Keep it in a consistent position with consistent pressure. TLG found I was doing the same thing in AFHF with him. The solution he suggested, and what I have done since, is to lock my strong hand thumb down on my support thumb. It doesn't look any different from the common 'thumbs forward' grip that we all use some variation of - but now I'm not varying the pressure like I was, and that is one less movement and one less inconsistency to have going on.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Sage advice Sparks, very very much appreciated!

Start incorporating different hand positions at the start. You're almost cheating the first part of clearing your concealment because your hands are already positioned to do so.
    I've noticed this too. It seems lots of shooters grab their shirt to get a jump on the timer.

Seem to be coming along well! I'm far from an expert but here's a few things I took away from your video:

Start incorporating different hand positions at the start. You're almost cheating the first part of clearing your concealment because your hands are already positioned to do so. Start drills with your hands at your sides or in the surrender position. Mix it up; you never know how you might have to draw one day if you need to do so in a defensive situation. Clearing concealment efficiently is an important skill. Don't handicap yourself.

As soon as that second head shot is fired, immediately start the reload. You seemed to waste a tenth or two after you fired the shot before you initiated the reload. If you can, put some more pressure on yourself to speed up the body shots. Push it right to the edge of what you're capable of split wise. Once you find that, work back slightly and make that your new comfort zone until your skills keep improving.

Dry fire will help cure that staging the first shot. I, too tend to do the same thing when I shoot a TDA gun on drills like this. I'm working on it, and serious dry-fire reps with very tight time standards are helping me work through it For example, yesterday I was in the 1.6-1.7s range first shot to the 3x5. When I dryfire, I do a few reps at 1.5s par time to warm up, and then I set it to 1.3s par time. Sometimes I get the DA pull off before par, sometimes I don't. But it's important to set hard goals in dry fire and work toward them. Once I start hitting 1.3s 80-90% of the time and can read the sights as I break the shot, I'll bump the par down to 1.2s and start all over.

Thats my .02. Guess it's time for me to start recording myself more at the range...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've noticed this too. It seems lots of shooters grab their shirt to get a jump on the timer.
    Definitely a new can of worms with non path of least resistance hand positions. Thinking it's good because I felt "behind" off the draw and it forced me to be stronger/more focused on the actual shooting.

Time wise? Pretty standard - low to high 5 seconds, but I flubbed the crap out of run 1 and 3 shot wise trying to force myself into that window with the more restrictive draw. (3 body shots pushed just high right first attempt and 1 dropped headshot third attempt)

All in all probably the best thing I can work on right now - ignoring the eternal issues like anticipation of recoil and out of sync counterforce and less than optimal strength for counterforce application.

EDIT: I think I kind of got lucky on the middle run given all the new variables, hence it being cherrypicked and posted.

I think I can farm the "hands by the head" stuff and build some solid hebbian plasticity from there and maybe not lose too much time, we will see..

Last edited by SsevenN; 04-19-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Got to do some more shooting in that condemned house again. There's only so many ways to set up stages inside that house but we worked with what's available. We ran the course of fire as we run our local ZSA matches. No attention was paid to tactics or anything like that. Just getting out and putting rounds downrange. Since the shooting is so close, we put up extra no-shoots and almost all targets were tight partials; didn't want it to be a hose fest.

Lot of fun and the steel kept us honest. Didn't get it on video but on later runs we ran the stage starting outside the house with the option of just going straight in which saves time, or running around to the side of the house and taking 1 shot on steel for a 20 second "bonus." Was roughly a 50 yard shot, and I nailed it in DA on my first attempt. That felt good!

Here's a quick vid:
    Last edited by MSparks909; 04-23-2017 at 04:50 PM.
    Shoot more, post less...

Got to do some more shooting in that condemned house again. There's only so many ways to set up stages inside that house but we worked with what's available. We ran the course of fire as we run our local ZSA matches. No attention was paid to tactics or anything like that. Just getting out and putting rounds downrange. Since the shooting is so close, we put up extra no-shoots and almost all targets were tight partials; didn't want it to be a hose fest.

Lot of fun and the steel kept us honest. Didn't get it on video but on later runs we ran the stage starting outside the house with the option of just going straight in which saves time, or running around to the side of the house and taking 1 shot on steel for a 20 second "bonus." Was roughly a 50 yard shot, and I nailed it in DA on my first attempt. That felt good!

Here's a quick vid:

Nice moves you FAST sob.
    Last edited by SsevenN; 04-28-2017 at 06:54 PM.

User Tag List