Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Review Thread

^^^ Ok, first video so be gentle.

P30SK LEM V1, Speer Lawman 124, 13 round USPc mag, X Grip. This was two consecutive strings, early in the session.

Range was Lone Star Handgun, San Antonio, on the 35 yd outdoor bay.

My thoughts are:

Surprised how un smooth my trigger press is. Also overshoot on the present, upward.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-02-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Good recoil control. In the second video at least I hear you resetting the trigger after recoil. You might want to try letting it reset during recoil.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Good recoil control. In the second video at least I hear you resetting the trigger after recoil. You might want to try letting it reset during recoil.
    Nice shooting Rich! Your doing the same thing I had a problem with (still trying to fix) your using the reset as a signal to shoot. You need to be resetting and re preparing to fire during recoil. This is really important, especially when shooting a lem

Video Review Thread

Mmk. As in "release the trigger smartly upon the bang=better?"

Not trying to make this a diagnostic about me, but I'll definitely go look into this. I seem to recall a good EL video circulating about this very thing (using reset to signal the next trigger press=no bueno).

Verrry interesting. Thanks! I would not have noticed (and did not!) this without the video.

ETA: when you guys say 'recoil control' is ok, does that imply I am ok with my support hand position?

Two things I've been playing with are moving support hand even further along the slide than shown, and extending my support arm more straight than shown as well.

I suspicion that straightening my support arm might also be moving the front sight more in sharper focus (further) for my 58-year old eyes.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-02-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Werds r hard

Anyone got any recommendations on training or technique that would help me get my split between the 1st and 2nd shot more in line with the rest? While there is an overall gradient acceleration to my split times in a bill drill the shot #1 & #2 always seem more pronounced, if that makes sense.

"I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Quote Originally Posted by SsevenN View Post
    Anyone got any recommendations on training or technique that would help me get my split between the 1st and 2nd shot more in line with the rest? While there is an overall gradient acceleration to my split times in a bill drill the shot #1 & #2 always seem more pronounced, if that makes sense.

It makes sense and it's relatively common in my experience. And I think there can be several causes.

One in particular can be common with the folks using an exaggerated pressout technique. And mind you, I'm not pooh-poohing the technique in the least. However what happens with some folks when it's less refined is that the shot breaks while the gun is still coming to a stop, or prior to reaching the tension/base of support of a "finalized grip". Either way resulting in a less predictable recoil path that must then be reigned in before continuing the string.

Another common cause can be making an adjustment to technique or trigger finger position between first and second shots. And it seems like this can be a factor even it's it not a DA/SA but potentially an LEM, DAK or other system where the length of throw changes a bit.

Experiment shooting some fast strings or Bills that begin at full extension with a full, completed grip, starting with a prepped trigger and see what results you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    .ETA: when you guys say 'recoil control' is ok, does that imply I am ok with my support hand position?
    Dunno, the pistol isn't moving much, tho it is only a 9. Whatever you're doing in that respect is working. My support hand is placed to maximize contact to the port side grip and wrapping strength with my fingers.

And I said it was "good," not "OK."

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    It makes sense and it's relatively common in my experience. And I think there can be several causes.

One in particular can be common with the folks using an exaggerated pressout technique. And mind you, I'm not pooh-poohing the technique in the least. However what happens with some folks when it's less refined is that the shot breaks while the gun is still coming to a stop, or prior to reaching the tension/base of support of a "finalized grip". Either way resulting in a less predictable recoil path that must then be reigned in before continuing the string.

Another common cause can be making an adjustment to technique or trigger finger position between first and second shots. And it seems like this can be a factor even it's it not a DA/SA but potentially an LEM, DAK or other system where the length of throw changes a bit.

Experiment shooting some fast strings or Bills that begin at full extension with a full, completed grip, starting with a prepped trigger and see what results you come up with.
    Thanks for the feedback, I *think* I generally don't break the shot until fully extended, so I think I can scrap that. But you are on to something with the take up and reset of the trigger, it's certainly not the same as the next 5 is it... Hmmm..

Good advice with shooting the drill starting pressed out, I'll give that a swing, much appreciated sir.
    "I'm checking out, somebody throw me in the trash"

t. Frank Reynolds - IASIP

Finally got my PX4 CC set up properly. Sent 200 downrange today running some stages in a condemned house on a friend's property. All shots that passed through the house ended up in the woods (miles of woods with nothing in the line of fire) behind the house. For a compact gun this thing sure is easy to shoot quickly. Last round fired was on B/C steel ~30 yards downrange. Hard to make the steel out in the video. My draws could use some work. A little slow. Videos wouldn't embed off FB but here's the links:

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...2a&oe=58E1D5D5

https://video-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/...af&oe=58E1C2ED
    Shoot more, post less...

The above links aren't working. Uploaded them to YouTube.

Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List